· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Unhappy Lost a cherry barb...

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all. I lost one of my female cherry barbs tonight :-(
    She, and all of her tank mates, had been acting normal all night. I glanced over all the tank and noticed her swimming kind of funny, up at the top and vertical instead of horizontal. I kept watching her, and saw her get pushed around by the current from my filter. She was still breathing and still moving get fins to try to swim, she just couldn't seem to stay horizontal. She got pushed all the way to the bottom of the tank, and that's when I netted her out gently into a small container of tank water to see if she was any better without the current. Within 3 minutes of her starting to act funny, she had passed away. Her breathing had seemed normal and I didn't see any signs of physical injury or issues. I don't know how old she was, she was full grown when I got her so for all I know she could have been at the end of her life span. I, of course, immediately tested my tank water. Ammonia and Nitrites were 0, nitrates were somewhere around 20, so I went ahead and did a 30% water change to drop those down. My ph was around 6.8, which is slightly lower than when I tested about a week ago (it normally stays right around 7). Temperature is stable around 77.

Any ideas of why my cherry would have suddenly and so quickly passed away? As I said, there were no signs until she started swimming weird, and she was gone within a few minutes, while I was trying to think what it could be too try and find a treatment. I really don't want to lose any of my other fish. They are all acting completely normal.
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the cherry barb. It would be my guess that she may have been ill when you got her. Sometimes those things happen even though your water parameters are fine and nothing else seems amiss.
    I'd keep a close eye on the tank but if all the other fish seem okay, I'd chalk it up to one of those unavoidable things.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I agree - sometimes fish are ill and we can't do anything to avoid that - your parameters seem fine - it's upsetting to lose fish but some are hardier than others and there's no way to predict which ones won't live long or tell which one is at the end of its lifespan.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    This is an issue that I see now and then. Sometimes it occurs with fairly new fish, say within the first few days while they are in QT, and I usually assume this is due to internal damage from netting. It is very easy to injure a fish against the glass with the net, even not noticing it at the time.

I also see this with fish I have had for months. Some say it is a swim bladder issue, though I don't know what may bring this on. Probably any one of several factors along the way.

When you consider that fish, like us, get cancers, liver disease, bladder issues, intestinal problems, etc...how on earth can we tell? I only worry if it may be communicable, which as far as I know, this particular issue is not.

I agree with other members to monitor things; chances are this was a single issue.

I do see some issues though, with your water parameters and fish. Livebearers should have moderately hard or harder water with a basic pH. Molly in particular are sensitive to soft and acidic water. Do you know the GH of your tap water (you can get this from the water supply folks)? And the pH coming out of the tap (remember to out-gas the CO2 before testing tap water for pH, just shake a jar of tap water very briskly for a few minutes)?

You also want to keep nitrates below 20 ppm, preferably no higher than 10 ppm, as this affects fish and especially mollies.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear that you guys think it most likely was something I didn't cause and likely won't affect the rest of my tank. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on the rest of my fish

Byron...I have another thread about this same tank explaining my water parameters for hardness etc...I use 100% ro water because of horrible tap water. I dose with sea chem replenish to around 5dh.
    I Ann planning in doing another pwc when I get home today to drop the nitrates further. It had been a couple days since I had checked and they were higher than I expected...I am planning on getting Brazilian pennywort to float in the tank to help with nitrates (plus I like the look of it)
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phin9009 View Post
    Glad to hear that you guys think it most likely was something I didn't cause and likely won't affect the rest of my tank. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on the rest of my fish

Byron...I have another thread about this same tank explaining my water parameters for hardness etc...I use 100% ro water because of horrible tap water. I dose with sea chem replenish to around 5dh.
    I Ann planning in doing another pwc when I get home today to drop the nitrates further. It had been a couple days since I had checked and they were higher than I expected...I am planning on getting Brazilian pennywort to float in the tank to help with nitrates (plus I like the look of it)
    This is not sufficient for livebearers long-term. What is the GH of your tap water? It may be better. If for some reason who have to use RO, adding expensive products will work but is not the best solution. For hard water fish the easiest, least expensive, and most reliable method is touse a calcareous substrate. I did this back in the 1980's when I had rift lake cichlids and mollies with zero GH tap water. I used dolomite gravel then, but today there are even better products like aragonite/crushed coral sand which is ideal. It adds the calcium and magnesium which these fish must have. The pH will be around 8 which is fine.

On the nitrates, assuming this is from the tank and not in the source water (using RO would mean no nitrates), there may need to be something done to prevent nitrates fluctuating. They should be below 10 ppm.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]