· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default aquarium denitrator

0 Not allowed!
    aquaripure is advertising a denitrator that removes nitrates and yields nitrogen gas. costs some bucks, has anyone used this product and how good or bad is it? thanks

4 Not allowed!
    If you want to get rid of nitrates, then water change is your friend.

If you want to get rid of unwanted TDS and replenish your tank with fresh water, then water change is your friend.

If you want your fishes to be happy and healthy, then water change is your friend.

I bought one of these little contraptions (I like to test out stuff) and did an experiment back then with it. It doesn't do a very good job of eating up the nitrate fast enough. Not only that, you'd have to make sure to aerate the water because the water that comes out of that thing is voided of any oxygen....It doesn't do me any good when I want to remove other unwanted TDS in the water either. Keep your money and do your water changes, your fishes will thank you.

This unit can only assist marginally in nitrate reduction, that's it. It can't beat a water change...
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    i am in fact a big fan of water changes. its just im already at 50 percent a week to the tune of 150 gallons by buckets, and my nitrates are at 30 to 40ppm. i was hoping the denitrator would knock down nitrates to 10ppm. i would continue water changes at 20 percent weekly then. just wanted to know if aquaripure denitrator was any good or not.

1 Not allowed!
    Have you tested the tap water alone for nitrate? Also test it for ammonia and nitrite if you can. It is always possible some or all of the nitrate may be in the source water, which is another problem to deal with, but one needs to know this before attempting to solve the nitrate issue.

If nitrate is high (above 20ppm is high, and nitrate should always be kept below 10ppm) we have to deal with it by finding the source and fixing whatever isn't working. Using chemical products to deal with it is not the best way, but rather find the source and eliminate that. If the nitrate is in the tap water, that is a different issue, but first we need to answer this.

BTW, if you are changing that much water I would get yourself a "Python" or similar device. Aqueon also makes one, as well as the original Python brand. It is a plastic hose with an attachment that connects to the faucet, and you can use it to drain water from the tank and then refill the tank. You need a faucet with threads, like for a garden hose; I use my laundry room sink.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Any commercial de-nitrator is worse than worthless - they can be deadly. I have used them and mine crashed on startup killing all my discus (late at night, of course.) Worse, once stable, it often would produce nitrites!!! Really a pile of junk and NOT worth the cost much less the complex use (feeding very often!) - don't buy one.

I did have high nitrates in my source water. After learning a bitter lesion, I discovered a simple and inexpensive unit - an in tank algae scrubber (not external unit - too big and too much work for me.) So I bought a cheap algae scrubber (for my 75 gal discus tank) and this converted all my nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas (and even other wastes.) That is the best way if your source water is high. If it is a tank/filter/cleaning issue, or lack of water changes, then neither a converter nor an algae scrubber will really solve the problem as Byron has pointed out.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    finally checked tap water, nitrates are 40+ ppm . unless my test kits no longer working i have found source of problem. never had this issue before. will look into algae scrubbber , many thanks!