· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Something is spooking my fish.

0 Not allowed!
    We have mollies and platies aged a few days to adult in our 20 gallon tank. For as long as we have had them, they have gotten really excited when they see us and come to the surface and front of the tank hoping to be fed.

Their behavior has become completely opposite today. They are hiding behind the heater and and bending their bodies so they can scrunch into corners and crammed like sardines in the nooks under the driftwood. I tested the water using my API kit, and nitrates were elevated but I don't think explains why they are suddenly acting as if they are afraid something will eat them. They were just fine when we put the breeder box in there a few days ago. We were waving some nets around in there last night trying to get some more fry into the box. MrMolly also changed the light bulb for the tank after it burned out yesterday. That's all of the changes I can recall.

Another odd thing is that the 6 platies we have seem to be acting normally. It's really just the mollies that seem terrified.

And I did change the water just now.
    15 gal: 1 butt-ton Malaysian trumpet snails.
    20 gal: 20+ various molly and platy fry.
    55 gal: 40 neon tetras.
    75 gal: 2 Taiwan reef cichlids, 3 pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus juveniles.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They're still doing it. I can hear them hitting the gravel as they dive for cover.

0 Not allowed!
    When you say nitrates were elevated, what are the numbers? Normally, and the elevated reading? Molly are particularly sensitive to any of the nitrogen compounds (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).

Aside from that, some fish do not like any net activity especially for prolonged periods.

A 20g tank is not sufficient for adult mollies, not with the six platy as well. Mollies need space, as they should grow to 3 inches for males with females reaching 5 and even 6 inches. As they grow, which is fairly rapid, they need sufficient space around them, partly the physical space but also the water quality. Which brings us back to the nitrates.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Any other pets in the house? Any children?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No other pets. We have a 3-year-old who lost interest in fish long ago. I think it has to be the nets. It's the oldest fish (i.e., those who have probably been netted before) acting the most scared. We caught the fry after our daughter went to bed, and they were already freaking out the next time she had an opportunity to see them after school the next day.

0 Not allowed!
    Is this a bare tank? Or does it have some cover in it? Sounds like stress from the nets.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's about half-covered with frogbit. There's a large piece of driftwood, 3 java ferns, and a few strands of anacharis.

MrMolly says they're only scared of ME.

1 Not allowed!
    Doesn't sound bare. Well, keep out of the tank as much as you can the next week or so and hope it passes.

0 Not allowed!
    Haben't given us the nitrate numbers, this could be related.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]