· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Unexpected guests

0 Not allowed!
    Today I noticed some very small critters running around my tank. Slightly larger than the head of a ballpoint pin, appear to have a shell, and move much faster than a snail. I did some googling, but I haven't been able to come up with any good matches. They are mostly found in the substrate or on plants, but occasionally dash through the water column.

Other tank inhabitants include 7 RCS, some hitchiker pond snails (I remove them when I see them on the glass to try to keep it in check), and three MTS which I added recently for their beneficial burrowing behavior (plus they are just cool).

Any idea who they are? Fascinating critters to watch. Probably too fast for me to catch one with an airline tubing siphon.
    Last edited by Zerileous; 09-27-2013 at 02:20 AM.

2 Not allowed!
    ostracods, better known as seed shrimp. harmless scavengers and larger fish will make a meal out of them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool, I was wondering if they were seed shrimp, but they didn't look quite like the photos I saw. Thanks for the ID!

This tank probably won't have anything larger than ember tetras, boraras, or endlers, so they may be here to stay. I wonder if they came with some plants or somehow hitchhiked with the MTS (I didn't see them before adding the trumpets). Glad to have another group of occupants :)

0 Not allowed!
    they are interesting to watch, harmless and beneficial. I used to have lots myself.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerileous View Post
    Cool, I was wondering if they were seed shrimp, but they didn't look quite like the photos I saw. Thanks for the ID!

This tank probably won't have anything larger than ember tetras, boraras, or endlers, so they may be here to stay.
    Err, no. Don't know about the endlers but the tetras will eat them and the boraras are like a pack of velociraptor on anything really small that moves.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerileous View Post

This tank probably won't have anything larger than ember tetras, boraras, or endlers, so they may be here to stay.
    Err, no. Don't know about the endlers but the tetras will eat them and the boraras are like a pack of velociraptor on anything really small that moves.

2 Not allowed!
    The Seed shrimp have armour though. They arent like, say, nematode Worms. Danios And white Cloud Mountain Minnows spit them out once they catch them because once threatened, the seed shrimp retract into their shell and presumably have the mouth feel of a pebble so the fish spit them out again.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    looks like I have nematodes too! Guess I have never kept an aquarium that didn't have predators for these little guys.