· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know, thanks! Think I'll stick with the gourami then =]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by j250nyahweh View Post
    I'm not raising the snails [on purpose] any more. Sadly my GPS did not make it, so now they are just sort of, there. I think a sparkling gourami is what I'm going to go with, especially if he likes snails (he won't eat himself to death on them, will he? There's quite a few in there)

Would I need to keep it to one fish in the 5 gallon tank?

Byron, I'll certainly have to check out the Wet Spot the next time I'm in Portland, we have a great shop in Eugene, too, Aqua Serene, but I do go to Portland on occasion (though usually after "normal business hours") so I'll have to make a point to swing by there.
    The pygmy sparkling gourami is always better in a small group, and they will interact rather than just "sit" there. Although it is pushing it, three (one male and two females) would be better than one, with lots of plants like you already have. And especialy floating plants, essential for any gourami as they naturally expect to browse among floating leaves and dnagling roots for food, and it keeps them less stressed.

The West Spot has a website, here:
    http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
    Nice thing about stores with websites is that they frequently list current fish in stock, and this means you can plan a trip to get something you want when they have it. A telephone call might "reserve" fish.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I came across a sunset honey gourami at my fish store this weekend. I really like the look of this little guy compared to the sparkling. Thoughts on a sunset?

And Byron, I wanted to touch on what you said earlier about the plants competing with BB for ammonia. That is quite interesting, I've never heard that. Does a tank have to be "heavily" planted in order for this to be the case, or will a lot of plants in a larger tank help with ammonia as well even if it's not crowded with plants?

0 Not allowed!
    I came across a sunset honey gourami at my fish store this weekend. I really like the look of this little guy compared to the sparkling. Thoughts on a sunset?

And Byron, I wanted to touch on what you said earlier about the plants competing with BB for ammonia. That is quite interesting, I've never heard that. Does a tank have to be "heavily" planted in order for this to be the case, or will a lot of plants in a larger tank help with ammonia as well even if it's not crowded with plants?
    A single Honey Gourami will work in a 5g planted tank, though he might be lonely. I always thing small fish are better in small tanks as there can be more of them, which means more interest with the interactions, etc.

Aquatic plants need ammonium and they are quite fast at taking it up, faster than bacteria/arachea. This doesn't depend upon the number of plants, but obviously there is a limit to the amount of ammonia taken up; the more plants, the more ammonia. Nitrifying bacteria/arachea will still establish, but more slowly the more plants there are initially.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would a single sunset and single sparkling be too much? Will the sunset get along well with the sparkling? (I'm guessing the answers will be "yes" then "no" but I have to ask...)

0 Not allowed!
    Would a single sunset and single sparkling be too much? Will the sunset get along well with the sparkling? (I'm guessing the answers will be "yes" then "no" but I have to ask...)
    You're correct in guessing the answers. You should have more space for more than one gourami.

Browse the fish on The Wet Spot's site, there is a large number suitable.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I ask because I *sigh* broke a cardinal rule and got the sunset after being talked into it by the rep at my LFS... my wife got home her reaction was "so you went with that? ...huh. I thought you wanted the sparkling one."
    Last edited by stalefish83; 09-30-2013 at 05:10 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I usually don't "buy now, research later" but I was taken but this little guy. Seeing in my tank now, though, he just hangs out by the glass acting like a betta who's trying to fight his reflection. I think he's bored.

0 Not allowed!
    Shame I didn't see this sooner. I was going to chip in with my alternative view and say that I don't think any gourami should be in a 5gal (or a betta in my opinion - I'd only be happy keeping one in a 10gal).

I'd only really be happy keeping shrimp in a 5gal.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I tend to agree with firefly, but the tiny species can manage. What most members think of as "gourami" cannot. Can you return the Honey?