· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default What to put with snails in a 5 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 5 gallon heavily planted tank that I was using as a snail tank for food for my Green Spotted Puffer. My wife and I would like to put a fish in there but she's not sold on the idea of a betta (even after my insistence that bettas are awesome) and I'm not a huge fan of guppys. Are there any dwarf cichlids, or any other fish that would be OK in a 5 gallon shared by mystery and ramshorn snails? I've also thought about African dwarf frogs but I'm not sold on those either.

Also, would a slew of snails (i.e. overrun by snails) provide enough waste to maintain a cycle for for the addition of one fish?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by j250nyahweh View Post
    I have a 5 gallon heavily planted tank that I was using as a snail tank for food for my Green Spotted Puffer. My wife and I would like to put a fish in there but she's not sold on the idea of a betta (even after my insistence that bettas are awesome) and I'm not a huge fan of guppys. Are there any dwarf cichlids, or any other fish that would be OK in a 5 gallon shared by mystery and ramshorn snails? I've also thought about African dwarf frogs but I'm not sold on those either.

Also, would a slew of snails (i.e. overrun by snails) provide enough waste to maintain a cycle for for the addition of one fish?

Thanks!
    You want what we term "nano" fish, which are small enough to manage well in very small tanks. While a 5g may not seem all that small to us, it is to fish. And most of the fish we have that are on the small side are shoaling that need a decent-sized group, which is where the problem arises with 5g tanks.

Many of these "dwarf" fish will have specific water parameter needs, so knowing your GH and pH of the source water (presumably tap) will help us suggest options.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tap water pH is 7.2-7.8 whenever I've tested. I'm not sure about the GH. I still yet to get an API Master Test Kit and use the unreliable testing strips (except for testing for ammonia, I have the bottle and vial for that).

Overall the water quality in my area is of the highest in the nation (tooting the horn of my employer, Eugene Water and Electric Board, here) but I'm not able to test for specific parameters until I get a more reliable testing kit. I suppose I could always ask our water testing facility... hmm

I can always accommodate for the requirements required for any particular species that I want, though I know it's more difficult to keep steady parameters with such a small tank.

0 Not allowed!
    The tap water pH is 7.2-7.8 whenever I've tested. I'm not sure about the GH. I still yet to get an API Master Test Kit and use the unreliable testing strips (except for testing for ammonia, I have the bottle and vial for that).

Overall the water quality in my area is of the highest in the nation (tooting the horn of my employer, Eugene Water and Electric Board, here) but I'm not able to test for specific parameters until I get a more reliable testing kit. I suppose I could always ask our water testing facility... hmm

I can always accommodate for the requirements required for any particular species that I want, though I know it's more difficult to keep steady parameters with such a small tank.
    I didn't notice previously that you are in Oregon. Your water is probably soft, like most of western Oregon and Washington, and up here in SW BC. But the Eugene municipal site should have a link to water, or they can tell you the basic GH. Something is likely being added to raise the pH, this is common for most of us here.

You have quite a choice with soft water. There are several "dwarf" species of rasbora such as those in the genus Boraras, and there are some nice small gourami like the pygmy sparkling, licorice, and eyespot. From SA the Ember Tetra, nice and colourful. If the substrate is sand, one of the "dwarf" cory species. You could consider killifish, another topic of its own.

I missed your "cycle" question earlier, so will answer that now. With plants you don't fuss over cycles. Live plants grab ammonia and even out-compete the bacteria. The "cycle" will still establish, only what many term "silently" and be un-noticed by you and more importantly the fish.

By the way, you have one of the finest fish stores up in Portland, The Wet Spot. They may have, or certainly will be able to get, any of the fish I've mentioned and dozens more.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Right on, thank you so much! I'm glad to see I have some options The pygmy sparking and licorice gourami look awesome, I loved the dwarf gourami I had, but as is common, he didn't last long. I also came across a samurai gourami which looks so cool but I wasn't able to find much information on it (seems to be rare) other than perhaps it's very similar to a licorice gourami?

The killis look awesome, too. Seems I will need to do quite a bit of studying on those guys.

0 Not allowed!
    Right on, thank you so much! I'm glad to see I have some options The pygmy sparking and licorice gourami look awesome, I loved the dwarf gourami I had, but as is common, he didn't last long. I also came across a samurai gourami which looks so cool but I wasn't able to find much information on it (seems to be rare) other than perhaps it's very similar to a licorice gourami?

The killis look awesome, too. Seems I will need to do quite a bit of studying on those guys.
    The Samurai Gourami may be Sphaerichthys vaillanti which is one of the rarer gourami. This is the third species in the common "Chocolate" Gourami genus. Here's info:
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...hys-vaillanti/
    which suggests they need more space. I've never come across this locally, but The Wet Spot I'm sure could get it.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are still raising snails, i would stay away from the sparkling gourami. I dont know if it is just my fish but, he likes to pick at the baby pond snails and malaysian trumpet snails. Know I have a bunch of empty tiny shells all over. If you dont care about the snails then get it. They are awesome and very curious fish. Very attractive too.
    Roll the Dice!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not raising the snails [on purpose] any more. Sadly my GPS did not make it, so now they are just sort of, there. I think a sparkling gourami is what I'm going to go with, especially if he likes snails (he won't eat himself to death on them, will he? There's quite a few in there)

Would I need to keep it to one fish in the 5 gallon tank?

Byron, I'll certainly have to check out the Wet Spot the next time I'm in Portland, we have a great shop in Eugene, too, Aqua Serene, but I do go to Portland on occasion (though usually after "normal business hours") so I'll have to make a point to swing by there.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any experience or knowledge on a paradise fish? The research I've done reveals them to be quite similar to bettas in temperment, biology and needs, but I'm not finding much information on tank size requirements. Certain forums I've come across say 5 gallons is good, other more "official" sites say 70 litres, which seems excessive for one fish of similar size and biology as a betta. Thanks!
    Last edited by j250nyahweh; 09-27-2013 at 10:04 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    They get much much bigger than bettas. I used to have a subadult that was around 2X body length and many times the mass of an adult betta, and he wasn't done growing when he died. They also are much more active and aggressive. I don't think it will be good in a 5 gallon.