· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Leak in my 40g... aw man! Tips on re-applying silicone

0 Not allowed!
    My wife came home from work yesterday to find water running out of the bottom of the tank I just inherited from a co-worker... she also found the power-strip that supplies power to the tank equipment turned on it's side, trying to drink the water while smoking like a cigarette... no good!

First, let me take this moment to thank God she didn't get shocked moving the strip out of harms way, and second, let me thank God that our house didn't burn down!

Thank you, Lord!

OK. Now that all is safe (wife and earthly belongings) and my Deity has been duly thanked (for probably the 17th time, if I'm being honest), let's talk silicone:

Fortunately I happen to have a spare 40 gallon after upgrading that one to a 70 gallon tank, and I haven't yet transferred my firemouth to it (and probably just the firemouth, Byron ) so I was able to move everything over to that empty tank.

I have read a few articles about re-siliconing (that's a weird word) a tank and I still have a question or two. I would also like to solicit any additional tips anyone may have.

I will, of course, remove all the silicone (being sure not the mess with the silicone sandwiched between the glass in the corners) and make sure it's nice and smooth. What's the best thing to use to be sure there's no residue? I've read rubbing alcohol, but I'm a little uneasy using that (unless someone can allay my concerns there) would vinegar or bleach work instead?

I will start with the bottom and be sure to run a solid bead of silicone all the way around the base (I'm thinking about whether or not I want to use painters tape to border the silicone and make it look nice, but I may just do that for the vertical corners since that's all that will be seen) then use a spoon or similar tool to smooth the edges. Any benefit to using a finger instead of a tool? I've got clumsy, scrawny-guy fingers and think a tool will make it look more uniform, but I want to make sure it's compressed into the corners...

When applying the silicone to the corners that run up each side do I need to lay the tank on it's side so they are horizontal when I'm applying the silicone? Do I go from the bottom (where there's already silicone from my first application) up, or from the "top" down? Same question for when I'm smoothing it out: top, down or bottom, up?

How do I know I'm getting a good seal at each bottom corner since I'm laying silicone on top of already laid (and smoothed) silicone? Do I need to be sure to do this quickly so the first application doesn't begin to dry before I get to the sides and where it will overlap?

Any other tips or suggestions? thank you all!
    Last edited by j250nyahweh; 09-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yea, and I am using aquarium silicone.

Awards Showcase

Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    There's lots of good advice and videos on the interweb explaining how to do it, just do a search for "how to re-silicone an aquarium tank"
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Checking out youtube would be a good idea, I haven't looked for videos yet. In my experience the good people of aquaticcommunity are FAR more knowledgeable than most yahoos on the internet, and after reading about 7 different "walkthroughs" on other various forums, I still have those questions that weren't addressed in my research.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you found the below thread here yet on how to re-silicone a aquarium:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=52239
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Have you found the below thread here yet on how to re-silicone a aquarium:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=52239
    Thanks Cliff, I did read over that one as well. It was on my phone which for some reason didn't have the pictures so I read over it again just now (thank you!) and having the visual really makes a difference, that's a great article!

It still doesn't address how to make sure it seals well in the corners (when overlapping the silicone on the sides over what was laid across the bottom) but maybe that's not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. It just seams like it could matter whether or not I start at the corner and go up or start at the top and go down when smoothing it out... anybody know?

0 Not allowed!
    I have never found that to be a problem

I use the tape, like in the stickie I posted about, and I would apply the silicon around the bottom edges first before the seams on the sides. When I got to the corners, I just squeeze the silicone into the corners with my finger. Just make sure you do all the seams at the same time and you should be fine. Just don't wait too long before removing the tape. At least that has worked for me on the two tanks that I have resealed.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!

Joey from youtube is one of my favorite DIY'ers.
    110 Gallon New World Cichlid Tank
    Tiger Oscar, Large Common Pleco, Blood Red Parrot, A lot of Black Convicts.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cliff! In order to do all the seems at the same time (I assume you mean each of the four sides) should I not worry about tipping the tank on it's side? Some of the articles I read said that it should be tipped over, others made no mention of it.

So I should apply the beads of silicone to all four sides, then when they are all complete, smooth each one out (instead of bead-smooth, bead-smooth, etc.)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzCichlids View Post

Joey from youtube is one of my favorite DIY'ers.
    Awesome, thanks! I'll check this out when I'm at a computer that has Adobe Flash, haha :)