· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Scientific name of this fish / Feeding Help/Divider.

0 Not allowed!
    I bought this fish about 2 weeks ago;it was called a "Spotted African Leaf Fish" .I then tried to do some research on the fish and came up with almost nothing but some basics. I would like to know the scientific name for this fish(I tried my best for a good pic). I keep coming up with multiple names for this fish and yesterday learned it is a carnivore (which explains why he did not touch the flakes really)

WP_000480.jpgWP_000484.jpg
    Don't know why the pics are so big on the site
    I need help/advice feeding my fish.

Stocking- 50 gallon
    8 black skirt tetras (2 inch)
    8 Black kuhli loach (3 inch)
    1 Anglefish (2 inch)
    1 Blue gourami (3 inch)
    1 "spotted african leaf fish?" (1, 1/2inch)
    1 Bristlenose pleco (2 inch)
    1 Clown pleco (2 inch)
    6 Scissortail rasbora (1, 1/2 inch)

I Understand that my tank is overstocked once the fish get larger ( I can move the scissortails in a new tank soon)

"TetraColor Tropical Crisps" for all fish except leaf fish and loachs. "API Bottom Feeder"(Sinking shrimp pellets) for loaches. "Top Fin freeze dried blood worms" for the leaf fish.

My HOB filter causes to much current and was making my dwarf water lettuce go under water 70% of the time(Started to die). So I was thinking I could get a divider ONLY for surface of the water so I could have half of the tank shaded. If it would be a good idea for a divider with my stock how can I make one/where to buy one.

Any Help would be much appreciated because I feel like my fish are not eating properly .

2 Not allowed!
    As to the surface divider for the plants, I use transparant suction cups and fishing line.

The most common leaf fish in the trade is Polycentropsis abbreviata, a hunter from very acidic African waters. Almost impossible to wean it onto dried foods but some people succeed in getting them to take frozen bloodworm. Polycentrus schomburgkii from south America pops up occasionally as well. Less acidic water but generally the same feeding style.

However, yours doesn't look like either and I suspect you may have bought Ctenopoma acutirostre instead and that is far easier to feed and will take almost anything except flake. Not a good choice for your tank since it will eventually get big enough to start snacking on your smaller fish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can actually try that divider now! I never thought of something like that .

Well the smaller fish would be bigger by the time he would be able to eat them the size he is,right? I got him eating the freeze dried blood worms today; 1st time I have seen him eat more then 1 nibble. Their spikes seem to get more distinct/Larger when they grow older(seems that way when looking at the pics).

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Td got it, looks just like the leopard bush fish as well. He loves higher protein pellet foods, and all frozen foods i give him. I would.t do too much live foods as they arent too nutrious for the fish. Also look into something like vitachem its a fish vitamin. Made the world of difference when mine wouldnt touch pellets
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

2 Not allowed!
    Here is a profile I wrote on Ctenopoma acutirostre:

Ctenopoma acutirostre

Common Names: Leopard Ctenopoma, African Spotted Leaf Fish, Spotted Climbing Perch, Leopard Bushfish, Spotted Ctenopoma

Origin and Habitat: Congo River basin in Africa. Occurs in habitats from fast-flowing rivers to quiet still ponds but shows a preference for still even stagnant waters.

Compatibility/Temperament: Though not aggressive, it is predatory by nature and should not be kept with smaller fish [see comments under Description]. It is also shy and retiring, so fish larger than itself may disturb it. In a larger tank it can be kept in a group provided all fish in the group are introduced at the same time to avoid territorial fights; otherwise, an individual fish in a 55g or larger aquarium works best, with a group of Congo Tetra, medium peaceful barbs, non-aggressive catfish as possible tankmates. Aggressive cichlids are not suitable tankmates as this fish will not easily defend itself.

Leopard Ctenopoma Diet

A carnivore eating small fish, amphibians and insects in its habitat, this fish may only eat live foods at first but most report success with frozen krill or ocean plankton, prawn, bloodworms; some will take floating pellet food. Live earthworms, mealworms and insects would be ideal treats.

Size

Very slow growing to 8 inches though in captivity more frequently seen around 6 inches.

Minimum Tank Suggestion

48 inches in length, such as a standard 55g.

Ideal water parameters for Leopard Ctenopoma

Soft to medium hard (< 15 dGH), acidic to slightly basic (pH 6 to 7.5) water, temperature 24-28C/75-82F.

Description

Hardy and long-lived (up to 15 years), this is a suitable fish for aquarists who want to venture into the more unusual species. This fish goes under several common names in addition to Leopard Ctenopoma, including African Spotted Leaf Fish, Spotted Climbing Perch, Leopard Bushfish and Spotted Ctenopoma. Although closely related to the true climbing perches (Anabas species), it is not known to leave the water and traverse land.

Primarily an ambush hunter, it will lie motionless usually at the edge of a plant thicket and pounce on unsuspecting prey. This fascinating behaviour can be observed in the aquarium if live food is provided. The fish's resemblance to a floating leaf (hence one of the common names, leaf fish) is for camouflage while stalking its prey.

A well-planted aquarium with a dark substrate, very dim lighting (this fish is naturally more active at dusk and dawn), and minimal flow from the filter will suit this species admirably. Bogwood arranged to provide hiding places is appreciated by this fish. The tank should be well covered, as this fish will jump. As noted under Compatibility, this is a predatory species and it can swallow fish up to 1/3 of its own size, so tankmates must be carefully selected. The fish periodically "yawns" similar to the true leaf fish, during which the size of the mouth is quite apparent.

Though difficult to sex, males have spines behind the eye (on the gill covers) and at the base of the caudal (tail) fin while these are less well developed on females; these are not easy to see however. The fish is an egg scatterer and does not practice parental care. Reports of spawnings in aquaria are few.

In common with all the species in the suborder Anabantoidei, this fish possesses an auxiliary breathing organ called the labyrinth, named because of the maze-like arrangement of passages that allow the fish to extract oxygen from air taken in at the surface. The fish must use this accessory method, and it allows the fish to live in oxygen-poor muddy waters. To accommodate this, the aquarium must be kept covered to maintain warm moist air above the surface.

Although this fish mimics the leaf fish, it is not closely related to the species in the genera Polycentrus and Monocirrhus; nor is it in the genus Anabas (true climbing perch) although it is occasionally seen as A. acutirostris which is invalid. The species was described as Ctenopoma acutirostre in 1899 by J. Pellegrin. The genus name comes from the Greek ktenos meaning comb, a reference to the comb-like spines on the gill cover; the species epithet is from the Latin for long nose.
    Last edited by Byron; 09-26-2013 at 03:34 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The leaf fish like "floats" to his food then snaps at it;I guess I know why now .He swims around all day and sometimes hides in my footlong driftwood with his head sticking head.

Is there an exact brand/type of food you could recommend for the leaf fish?

Also I do not know how to deal with my food problem still because I have 3 types to use and they fish don't stop eating . I fed them today and then kept adding small amounts of food every min;I was feeding them for about 15 mins and some were still nipping at food.Last 3 months this was not happening but now is. Fish puberty?lol

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot to mention-the leaf fish seems to like to eat off the ground rather then the surface.

0 Not allowed!
    Be careful not to overfeed. Fish will naturally continue to eat if food is available, as this is their basic instinct. In the aquarium we must control this.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    He loves higher protein pellet foods, and all frozen foods i give him. I would.t do too much live foods as they arent too nutrious for the fish. Also look into something like vitachem its a fish vitamin. Made the world of difference when mine wouldnt touch pellets
    Could you tell me the diet of your fish? What food/brand do you use?

I am still being careful feeding the fish by spending a while feeding them.