· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default We begin again...29 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Multiple tank syndrome had set in! Went and bought a 29 gallon tank and stand. It came with a light hood, t5 bulb that needs to be replaced, 100 watt heater, some coral decorations, gravel, and a top fin 30 power filter. Just ordered a sponge filter (says for up to 45 gallons), some biomax media (not going to use the cartridges for the filter, going to use a sponge, biomax, and filter floss), and some silk plants.

This tank will be going in my mom's room, and she doesn't like the pink and purple gravel that was mixed with the blue and green, so I'm currently sorting the gravel :-\ never again. Project from hell haha

We are planning on stocking 6 dwarf puffers and 6 otos, preferably the zebras. I am going to seed the filter with some media from my established 46 gallon and fishless cycle the tank so it's ready for the sensitive fish.

Will the top fin 30 power filter and the sponge filter be adequate for this tank with 30-40% weekly water changes? I'm sure I will be adding a lot of questions as we get the tank set up and get ready to stock it!
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We are also considering just doing dwarf puffers in the tank. Would we be able to do more than 6 if we did that?
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but good luck with the tank! :)
    And sorting that gravel! :)
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

1 Not allowed!
    I'd say just 9 dwarf puffers would be good. They have a lot of personality and notorious nippers, I'd would rather just keep them in a species tank so you can see them interact with each other.

Provide hiding spaces (rocks, DW, and hardy plants). They don't need bright light so some floating plants would be good. What are you planning to feed them? I'd say you have enough filtration if you do maintain the large weekly water changes.

I had them a longggg time ago (high school) and I have to say they're very cool and interesting.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think we have kind of settled on puffers only. They are such entertaining little fish.

I read about someone gluing aquarium gravel to shot glasses to make little caves for them which I think is am awesome idea...have lots of silk plants on the way (not brave enough for live yet), and have some coral decorations with lots of little hidey hole tunnels through them. We were planning on feeding snails since I read they need them (and supplementing them somehow). What do you suggest feeding them?
    The water changes on this tank will be simple compared to the changes on my 46 gallon!

Still not done sorting the gravel-sounds like a fairly simple task but let me tell you, it is not! But the gravel isn't cheap and we won't have to buy more than maybe 5 extra pounds at the end of this, so it's worth it.
    Last edited by phin9009; 09-28-2013 at 03:23 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    FINALLY finished sorting the gravel. Wound up with about 21 pounds of the colors we're keeping to put in the tank, so going to buy 10 pounds more to add in. Glad we got a good amount; that sorting was tedious!

The heater arrived today, the decorations/plants should arrive tomorrow. Friday we will be ordering the new lightbulb (no live plants, will t8 bulb be sufficient in a 24 inch fixture?), thermometer, and sponge filter. Also need to get a background for the tank to black the back out. Once we have everything, the process of seeing up and filling the tank begins :-)
    Still trying to decide how to feed the puffers when we get them. Do they truly need snails? I've read conflicting info about whether or not they are subject to the issue of an overgrown beak if they don't have the snails. If we do snails, what species is best? We would want some that would kind of be a self sustaining good source for the puffers without taking over the tank. And do the snails need to be supplemented with anything?
    Last edited by phin9009; 10-03-2013 at 03:09 AM.

1 Not allowed!
    A 29 gal tank should really have enough filtration for double the size - hence, you should have filtration for at least 60 gal - what I've learned here is that when filters are tested, it is done without media in them - once media is in them, that restricts water flow so double filtration is usually recommended for a stocked tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I know. It came with a top fin 30 power filter and I'm getting a sponge filter that is rated for a 45 gallon tank. Together they will be more than double the tank size
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    A 29 gal tank should really have enough filtration for double the size - hence, you should have filtration for at least 60 gal - what I've learned here is that when filters are tested, it is done without media in them - once media is in them, that restricts water flow so double filtration is usually recommended for a stocked tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The gravel has been washed and placed in the tank :-) we will be filling/decorating the tank sometime in the next few days then we will begin the fishless cycle :-) We got an eheim jager 150 watt heater for it. It's a bit more than we need for a 29 gallon but it was the same price as the smaller one, and we have a huge older house that doesn't stay very warm so my hope is the bigger heater won't have to work as hard to keep the temp up.
    Because it is a 29 gallon, I was thinking about cycling the tank at 2 ppm ammonia (fishless cycle obviously) will that be enough for the tank to handle 6-8 dwarf puffers after its cycled?
    Does anyone have suggestions if what /how to feed the puffers? I've read conflicting information

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Started the fishless cycle in this tank a week ago tomorrow, dosed to between 2 and 4ppm ammonia. Squeezed my foam insert and some filter floss from my established 46 gallon tank in the water, our a small chunk of that floss in the power filter in the 29, and put decorations on that had been in the 46 for about 2 weeks. Ammonia is down to 0.25 as of tonight (have been watching it steadily drop) so will be dosing more ammonia tonight. Nitrites were 0 and nitrates were around 10 (started out at 5; had put about ten gallons of water from my 46 that I took out for a water change into the 29), so they have gone up. Going to test it by dosing ammonia several times and making sure ammonia and Nitrites are 0 after 24 hours, but I have a feeling this will be similar to my cycle in my 46 in that the Nitrites will never show. This is going MUCH faster than my 46 cycle did though, even with seeding material several times, our still took 6 weeks.