· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need a second choice

0 Not allowed!
    Hey every one so I been looking for some hatchet fish an i can't find any at all so i was thinking about 2 fish i had in mind,that was the honey gourmai i think i seen those a few times and they look pretty neat the other fish is a dwarf gourami i have heard of DGD and i think form watching a few videos i can spot it but you can never be so sure.they are going to be in the tank with neon tetras and BP tetras.Oh and for the record i was only going to get 1.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    Hey every one so I been looking for some hatchet fish an i can't find any at all so i was thinking about 2 fish i had in mind,that was the honey gourmai i think i seen those a few times and they look pretty neat the other fish is a dwarf gourami i have heard of DGD and i think form watching a few videos i can spot it but you can never be so sure.they are going to be in the tank with neon tetras and BP tetras.Oh and for the record i was only going to get 1.
    Guessing here, but does "BP Tetra" refer to Black Phantom? And, what is the tank size?

Aside from the above, I would say the Honey Gourami is a much better choice than the Dwarf, both from the aspect of compatibility and the possible disease issue. Unless you know the source (meaning the breeder, not the store) of the Dwarf, I would not risk them. Iridovirus is a very serious disease issue, and fish can carry it with no outward signs.

On the Honeys, a group would be better, 3-5, with more females than males. But this depends upon the tank size.

Hatchetfish would certainly fit your existing fish better, and provide upper interest. The species in Carnegiella are quieter and slightly smaller than the "common" Silver in Gasteropelecus. The Marble for instance is Carnegiella strigata. These are fairly often seen, so you may have to just keep an eye out.

I know the temptation to buy "something" to fill the space now, and I have made mistakes doing this in the past. I have sometimes waited years for specific fish species to turn up locally, but it is always worth it.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes BP does refer to black phantom tetras and i have a 20 gallon. I am going to the pet store or a breeder
    tomorrow so i will hope to see some hatchet fish but i might have to get some honey gourmai i really won't to get some dwarf gourami but that might be a problem with DGD.

0 Not allowed!
    yes BP does refer to black phantom tetras and i have a 20 gallon. I am going to the pet store or a breeder
    tomorrow so i will hope to see some hatchet fish but i might have to get some honey gourmai i really won't to get some dwarf gourami but that might be a problem with DGD.
    Given this is a 20g, I would not recommend gourami with what you already have. Only today another member lamented his Honey Gourami becoming a bully and now has to remove it. Stay with peaceful shoaling fish like the hatchets in Carnegiella (Marble, or Black-winged). Another upper fish that would work here is the Rocket or Diptail Pencilfish (Nannostomus eques).

Stay with smaller fish, believe me, you will have better success.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i remember you talking about those in another thread but i could not find any of those but is one of this shoaling species ok .
    Priscilla tetra,Harlequin rasbora,Cherry barb,Gold barb,Rosy Barb or all(what i mean buy all is that the are all capable of living in a 20 gallon with my current fish in a shoal of 6 to 8)of them?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    +1 to Byron's suggestion. Stay with the smaller hatchet species like Marbles.
    If you really need to fill that void of getting something new, have you thought of a school of small Cory's for the bottom of the tank? A bunch of Pygmy Cory's or Pandas may bridge the urge for the time being until you locate your Hatchets.
    As long as your substrate isn't sharp that is. Cory's do not like sharp gravel.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got off the phone recently and every place i go to shop for fish said they did not sell hatchet or pencil fish and never have.That's mainly why i asked about the other fish and i like the panda Cory i was just going to get a pepper Cory but i like the panda More

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm surprised FL doesn't sell Hatchet's. Every Big Als and Pet Smart up here in Ontario has them from time to time.
    My son has 6 Pandas in his tank which have been with us for over a year. Just make sure they get some food. They really like tubiflex worms.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

1 Not allowed!
    i remember you talking about those in another thread but i could not find any of those but is one of this shoaling species ok .
    Priscilla tetra,Harlequin rasbora,Cherry barb,Gold barb,Rosy Barb or all(what i mean buy all is that the are all capable of living in a 20 gallon with my current fish in a shoal of 6 to 8)of them?
    Strider's suggestion is good too. But to answer your question here, the rasbora would be OK, and the Pristella [I assume this is what you meant]. On the rasbora, the very similar but slightly smaller species in the same genus are actually rather nicer in my view, they have a bit more bright colour. And they stay a bit higher in the water. I'm thinking especially of the Hengeli rasbora (Trigonostigma hengeli), or the "lambchop" (Trigonstigma espei). The barb I would not get; aside from two of them getting a bit large for this space, they are much more active (barbs all are, as are most danio) and this isn't as compatible with what you already have, in a smallish space. The rasbora would be excellent matches.

Here's a photo of the Hengeli, this really is a nice little fish, with that dazzling copper "axe." I just got another 8 of these a couple weeks ago myself, to increase my dwindling group (getting old and dying off).

Byron.

Trigonostigma hengeli1.jpgTrigonostigma hengeli2.jpg
    Last edited by Byron; 09-26-2013 at 10:57 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would not say Florida but definitely Tallahaeess