· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 50g and 150g tank ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    hello,
    I have been researching and planning 2 tanks that will be working on in the future, and i think I have my goals set. Just thought it would be a good idea to check and see what people think. These tanks will be heavily planted (unless that is not a good idea for some reason) and will have adequate filtering, lighting, heat, shelter, and will be properly cycled before adding any fish. In addition to wanting to know if these fish will work in those sizes as well as if they will work together in general, are there any plants that would be extremely beneficial to these tanks or any that are big no's? Otherwise I will just plant them in a visually pleasing fashion. Keep in mind these are completely hypothetical right now and I have not started to work on these projects nor will they be done at the same time, I like to work on one and get it done before I mess with another. So keep the criticism to a minimum please, I have no experience with larger tanks, the largest I have kept so far is a 25g puffer tank.

50g community tank:

-1 angelfish (this will be fully mature and the last addition, currently I have been setting up a 30g to put 3 juvenille angels in and once 2 pair up I will be relocating the loner to the community tank)
    -8 khuli loaches
    -6 ottos
    -10 cherry shrimp
    -6 von rio tetras
    -4 hatchets
    -6 black phantom tetras

(Part of me thinks this is overstocked, but I still have not decided on a tank. As of right now I am thinking bowfront or rectangle. If this is in fact overcrowding for the average 50g? Would a different style of tank change this?)

150g shark tank:

-5 bala sharks
    -1 pictus catfish
    -1 striped rapheal catfish
    -2 bristle nose pleco

I am open to any ideas and suggestions(:

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum! Few things I see:

50 gallon - Angel fish will almost certainly eat your cherry shrimp. A better shrimp, although not as attractive, are amanos. They get to be 3" and can hold their own. Also, the black phantoms are kind of known to be nip biters so they may annoy the angel. Hatchet fish really like to be in larger schools. They aren't very active and hang at the top so I think you can easily fit 10 or more. In my opinion, plecos are cooler than ottos but your call! Six is a lot so if your idea was to keep algae down, I would work on getting the light and timing of light correct first. If you like the fish, then sorry I take it back! Personally, I would get a pleco, whiptail catfish, or spotted headstander instead. Rather than having 4 schools, why not only 1 or 2 and make the school larger? In bigger tanks, the fish will be happier and active in larger groups. It also looks MUCH cooler to have a school of 20 fish vs 6!

Here's what I would do:
    -Angel fish - great idea to relocate the loner!
    -2-3 ottos or dwarf pleco(s), spotted headstander, whiptail and/or farowella catfish
    -10 hatchets
    -20 von rios
    -4-6 Amano (should be big enough to not get eaten by Angel)
    -8 khuli loaches
    -10 rummynose tetras (
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!
    I had not even considered the cherries getting eaten, nor have I heard of those kinds of cats but they are awesome I will definitely look into getting those instead!

I actually really like that proposal and I will be changing:

ottos> 1 whiptail and 1 farowella
    cherries> 6 amano
    phantoms> 12 rummy nose

and adding:
    6 hatchet
    12 von rio

Just so anyone else who wants to reply about that tank knows(:
    Last edited by jssager; 09-25-2013 at 09:09 PM.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    just read my post again....nip biters must be a Freudian slip ;) I meant fin-nippers or fin-biters! hahahahah

Anyway - I swear I had a post like this 2 years ago when I just got in the hobby. I wanted bala sharks too! You're doing the right thing by reading up. My advice in a nutshell - be patient! Add slowly!! Monitor water parameters and KNOW that things will change as you add things. So, if you PH was 7 from tap but you add driftwood, it can get lower! Likewise, if you add rocks, use some vinegar and see if they bubble first. Some rocks can change PH and hardness. Also the more plants you add, the more fish you add, etc the more time you need to get balance. You will change your mind about which fish you want and there is nothing wrong with that. You'll also change the layout of your tank 2390839078 times in the next year! All fun stuff though

Few more things:

Most catfish prefer to be in schools. If you get larger ones, they will take up too much room! The whiptail and farowella are sucker catfish and are OK by themselves (they are pretty similar fish too). I've also had glass catfish which are schooling (they hide all the time) and debauwi catfish which I loved! They would swim in place aaaaaaaaaaaall day but when night came...they would zip around the tank like crazy! They were too fast and boisterous so I traded them in but I always liked them and think they would do great in community with active fish. I've also had a cigarfish who I really liked. He got to be 6" so I had to give him to my neighbor.

You could also look into dwarf cichlids like apistos and ram cichlids. I had double red Agazizzi which was beautiful. You may experience some aggression with the Angel but in a 50 gallon with lots of plants and hiding spots, you should be cool

Again, good luck!
    Last edited by Fish from Filly; 09-25-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When you say look into dwarf cichlids are you saying that I could add a pair or a couple of them? Or are you saying it is another option instead of say a group of the tetras or hatchets?

Thank you very much, your info from experience has been great!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dwarf cichlids can be added to the tank with the tetras assuming ph isn't high (I'd say 7.5 and under you're good). They are semi aggressive like angelfish. You need to provide hiding spots so they can claim their territory.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jssager View Post
    When you say look into dwarf cichlids are you saying that I could add a pair or a couple of them? Or are you saying it is another option instead of say a group of the tetras or hatchets?

Thank you very much, your info from experience has been great!
    And to be clear - if we are talking about the 50 gallon, you could probably add just 1 dwarf cichlid assuming you have plenty of hiding spots and assuming you're adding the angel (remember, angel fish are also cichlids). The tank should be mature (3-6 months) before adding the bottom feeders and cichlids. You could add a few to the 150 gallon but before you do that, do some planning on tankmates and set up. Not sure you want to have the same style tank as the 50 u know?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, the more I thought about it I realized I didn't need to worry about a pair of cichlids and possible fry, not to mention how aggressive they get while breeding. That is probably better suited for a species tank. The dwarf cichlids do look beautiful though and would definitely add a lot of color. As always I will start with just a few probably the tetras and shrimp first, then ill add the angel and see how that works then the bottom feeders. The cichlid(s) would only be if the tank had been going smoothly for a while and there seemed to be space for something else.