· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cool MTS is setting in...and it's contagious!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all! I recently started stocking my 46 gallon bowfront, and my mom fell in love with it. Long story short, she found and bought a 29 gallon tank that came with a filter, heater, gravel and some decorations. It came with some awesome false coral decorations (which I'm jealous of-almost had bought the exact ones for mine but decided on false plants instead-which I still love.

She has decided she wants dwarf puffers in the tank. She loves them so wants to have them. From what I've read, they need to be in a species only tank? Is gravel an ok substrate for them? How many could be in a 29 gallon? What are some easy care, low light plants that puffers would like?

I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions as we go through getting this tank set up and get the cute little fish in there.
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I believe dwarf puffers are one of the only fresh water puffers. I'd just make sure they are correctly identified before making the purchase. I had some green spotted puffers and they were awesome. They seemed to do fine with gravel and I never noticed them trying to dig or anything, but PFS may be better as they dont have scales. They love little caves and blood worms and they will eat snails and crabs as well. Be careful introducing Malaysian Trump Snails though as they can, and will reproduce very quickly. They are plant spawners if you're looking for them to reproduce. I think the rule of thumb for stocking is at least 5g for one puffer and 3g for each additional puffer. Since they are scaleless fish, they are very sensitive to pollutants in water. Nitrates should be kept lower than 15 PPM, Ammonia and nitrites always at 0. Temp around 78-80F. Ph of at least 7.0.

I believe Otocinclus can co-exist in the same tank.
    Last edited by AzCichlids; 09-24-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    110 Gallon New World Cichlid Tank
    Tiger Oscar, Large Common Pleco, Blood Red Parrot, A lot of Black Convicts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That was one of the things we liked about them-they are completely freshwater. All the other puffers seemed to be brackish or marine, how do I make sure they are the correct fish? We may try gravel first then switch to and if they have any problems with the gravel. So in a 29 gallon could we do 4 or 6 with several otos? We plan in setting the tank for a fishless cycle with media from my 46 gallon.
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you trust your LFS or wherever you're obtaining the fish from then Id say there is no need to worry. You could just study pictures and characteristics to correctly identify them though. It depends on your filter but 6 puffers and like 5 otos should be fine. You'll be looking at about a 30-40% water change per week.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I d0 n0t have pers0nal experience with puffers, s0 take this with a grain 0f salt- I have heard fr0m a few pe0ple that puffers are aggressive. s0 just d0 g00d research 0n acceptable tankmates. N0te the 0tt0s can als0 be rather sensitive t0 water c0nditi0ns, I have seen p0sts that indicate s0me tr0ubles with the species, just a heads up fr0m my perspective.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I'll make sure I can tell by sight but I think the place would have them labeled correctly. Is there a specific type of oto that works with them or is it just any oto? I like the look of the zebras. 30%wc on this tank will be easy compared to the same in my 46 gallon! Haha

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea longshot may have a point. I'd introduce the otos first and allow them to get settled in. Provide them with a good amount of hiding places and wait for them to grow to a decent size before introducing any puffers. I've never housed otos with puffers so I can't tell you anything from experience. I've only heard about quite a few people doing it.

On the other hand there is nothing wrong with a puffer only tank. They are extremely entertaining to watch and have lots of personality. They would swim up to me for food and suck blood worms in like spaghetti!! The way they act made it easy to determine if something was wrong. If they are happy they are swimming around and bright in color. If something is wrong they would curl their tails and become a much darker shade of yellow.

Talking about them makes me want to setup a puffer tank :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah we haven't decided for sure on the otos, the tank might look better with just puffers. If we did that, could we do more than 6?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could do more than 6, again depending on your filtration. With that many you'll want to have a 2 to 1 female to male ratio though. Also the possibility to move an injured puffer into their own tank.

No puffer is the same though and 6 or more may get along just fine.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I ordered a sponge filter that says it's good for up to 45 gallon tank...had read that puffers like a lower current tank so figured a small power filter combined with a sponge filter would be good. How do you tell males and females apart? And I have about a gazillion 10 gallon tanks sitting empty that I could set up pretty easily in case of an injured puff. Also have a breeding isolation tank thingy on its way (I have live bearers in my 46 gallon community) that would work for an isolation got an injured fish. It hangs in the tank and allows water in and out