· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Water change question - When to add Prime

0 Not allowed!
    Currently I do a 50% water change each week, treated with Prime. I put a little bit of Prime in each bucket of water (takes about 4 buckets to fill the tank), however I have read that people will put in conditioner to the half full tank before adding tap water, why is that?

What is the best way to change water - adding prime to the half full tank before adding new tap water or putting prime in the water beforehand and then adding it to the tank - and why?

Also does the amount of prime depend on the newly added water or the total volume of the tank? If I have a 55g should I be adding enough conditioner for 55g of water, or just the 25-30g that I change weekly?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie 
    For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I usually do about a 70% change every 5 days on my 10 gallon, I put Prime into the tank, then add water, just to help mix it up...you add enough prime to treat the entire tank, not just the water you change out...hope this helps
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    If you do water changes using pails, it is OK to treat the water in each pail. And obviously the amount of conditioner (be it Prime or any other) would be the amount required for the pail volume each time.

If you are changing water using a "Python" or similar, which is a hose attached directly to the faucet so water flows directly into the tank, then you obviously add the conditioner to the tank just before or when you start to fill the tank. As for the amount of conditioner, I only use that sufficient for the volume of water being added. I know Seachem and some other manufacturers will advise adding more, for the entire tank volume, but this is normally unnecessary, wastes conditioner, and may be more detrimental than beneficial.

The only time I might consider adding conditioner for the total volume would be if there is a problem with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

The "detrimental" side of using more than minimum amount of conditioner is that this stuff is chemical, and there is no poiint in adding more chemicals to a tank with fish than is necessary. It also increases the TDS (total dissolved solids), since all conditioners contain TDS and these do affect fish. Hard water fish will have less issue with this than soft, but again it is not necessary so why do it.

Nice to see you are doing a 50% weekly change, that is a good practice.

Byron.

1 Not allowed!
    When I 1st began my tank, I treated each bucket of water separately - then I switched to Prime and found it was a lot easier to just put in enough for my whole tank before adding new water - mine is 46 gal so I put in a capful (good for 50gal)- easier than measuring it out per bucket.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I power off my filter(s) and disconnect the hoses so there is no siphon potential. The I add my prime and new water. I wait for a little bit (maybe 5-10 minutes) which may or may not be needed and then connect everything and power on my filter(s).

Doing this ensures that the bacteria in my filters are unaffected (or at least I like to believe it does).
    110 Gallon New World Cichlid Tank
    Tiger Oscar, Large Common Pleco, Blood Red Parrot, A lot of Black Convicts.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzCichlids View Post
    I power off my filter(s) and disconnect the hoses so there is no siphon potential. The I add my prime and new water. I wait for a little bit (maybe 5-10 minutes) which may or may not be needed and then connect everything and power on my filter(s).
    Why would the bacteria in your filter be affected by a water change? And why do you disconnect the hoses (I don't do that unless I'm cleaning mine). Doing this ensures that the bacteria in my filters are unaffected (or at least I like to believe it does).
    Just curious
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 
    So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly 
    Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie 
    For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I power off the (HOB) filter too, but do no disconnecting....I only power it off because the water level drops below what the filter will pick up, and it is not good to run the filter impeller dry...when done filling the tank, I take a cup of tank water, fill the filter, then power it back on
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I've always assumed it is normal practice to turn off all equipment, meaning filters and heaters, during any tank maintenance. In some cases it is mandatory, as with heaters that can crack if they come on dry, and some filters will run dry. It is also possible to get a shock (which can be quite powerful) in the water from heaters left connected.

To make this easy, I bought a few of the small powerbars with 3-foot cords and an on/off switch, and with one of these below each tank I plug into it the heater(s) and filter. The tank light is plugged into a timer that is on the wall outlet so the light is not affected if the small powerbar is turned off. Then, just turn off the powerbar to disconnect the heater(s) and filter.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    You got a lot of great advice here

Whether you add prime to the tank or to each pale is really a personal preference as both will work, provided you use the correct amount of prime

I prefer to add prime directly to my tank as I find it easier to add the correct amount that way
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If both methods are the same than I think I'll opt for the more accurate way (just adding it all at once before I add new water)

I'm still curious about adding the total amount or just for the amount of new water. What Byron said makes sense and makes me lean toward just treating enough for the new amount of water (which I currently do).

For people that add enough prime to treat the entire tank, what are the benefits, or 'pros'? Is there any conclusive way to think about this, or is it just preference?

Thanks