· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    u could do the albino bristle nose as the crazed streakers fan XD lol sry every time i watch a game theres always that random fan that jumps out on field naked.. sorry if this is out of line lol its just they do look like streakers

you know i wonder if u can angle that driftwood to look like bleachers and then use like a slate rock or something as a wall hmmm might work from what i can tell in picture.
    the wood is pretty big and doesn't fit sideways. If I put it in center, it does resemble bleachers a bit! I love albino BN pleco (I have 1 in my discus tank).
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmm maybe then u can do wall from it as center piece in middle? not sure lol u would have to play with it n see. and yah i have a albino BN in my 56 gallon it just looks naked to me but cute lol
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-6Cardinal Tetra-8,Panda Cory-1(whisker issues),emerald cory-5"
    "(1) Angelfish,,1 Zebra Nerite"
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Moss,Java Ferns,Dwarf Hair Grass
    10 Gallon with a betta,3oto

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    There is thought considered in picking the tetras because I want colors to match teams. Of course I want fish to be happy and healthy too though! I don't know Kh or ph yet but will do a test next time I'm at their house to make sure it isn't extreme. Most tetras will acclimate even if ph isn't perfect 7 right?

The kid is only 2 but think a school of cardinals will grab attention with their neon blue and either peppermint or bloodfin tetras would be the red school.
    It is the GH, not KH, that matters as this is the level of mineral hardness, and this is very significant to fish. The pH is important too. You can forget the "pH 7" myth, no fish lives in this water, they are either soft acidic water fish or hard basic water fish.

Some tetra can manage in a moderately hard water with a basic (above 7) pH, but many cannot. Cardinals for instance do not do well in hard water, nor do neons. Bloodfin are fine in basic moderately hard water. I'm not exactly sure what "peppermint" tetra are, I see several different species under this common name online. If it is the variant of the Rosy Tetra, this is not a good hard water species.

You asked me in a PM about the mosses I mentioned previously, so here is a link to a video showing them. This is one of my good local stores, Aquariums West, and these mosses were cultured by one of their employees, who happens to have studied under Takashi Amano. I have not tried these myself, but they are said to be good in low light (most mosses are, so no surprise).

Byron.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Peppermint tetra AKA candycane tetra AKA HY511 AKA white tip tetra...

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to go to my local good lfs tonight and see what I can pick up.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    Peppermint tetra AKA candycane tetra AKA HY511 AKA white tip tetra...

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to go to my local good lfs tonight and see what I can pick up.
    Thought as much, this is a colour variety of the Rosy Tetra, Hyphessobrycon rosaceus. The species is best in soft water, it can tend to pale a bit in hard water.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Xmas moss covered plastic canvas with sponge netting.

Byron - I am leaving the moss in the tank to fill in before I give them the tank. I set up filter using some media from my 150 so hopefully the cycle won't take too long. At this point, is there anything I can do to help grow the moss? I can DIY yeast CO2 and since I don't plan on stocking with fish for a bit?

http://imgur.com/a/e027X#0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fish from Filly; 09-30-2013 at 02:53 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Mosses are slow growers. Though having said that, I am rather surprised by how much my Java Moss grows, but it is established and it is probably not as fast as I think just because I have to periodically remove some.

I don't know how much of a boost having CO2 would be.