· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    You can keep healthy cories on rounded gravel but the little guys do seem to enjoy sand so much more. Not having them and just 2 shoals would simplify matters though.

Hmm.... my lack of baseball knowledge isn't helping. The pennyworth or something at the back would definitely help. Are all the stadiums open air?
    Most stadiums are open air

I am going to use brown play sand to replicate the sand on baseball field and line the left side of tank (to make it look like 3rd base line) and the foreground. Then, in center I will attempt a moss carpet and use some dwarf hairgrass toward the back. Finally, in the back I will use some dark green small leaf plant and let it grow 6" or so.

I agree, still needs more in it for tetras to be comfortable.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

1 Not allowed!
    FishFromFilly sent me a PM on this thread, so I decided to enter it as I have spotted a couple things.

First, with any of the "dwarf" cory species the substrate should be sand. These fish need to dig into the substrate, and while the "average" sized species seem to manage with fine gravel, the pygmy and dwarf do not. Also, these dwarf species are much more sensitive to their environment. I personally would not house them here.

On the mosses, there are several species that do make good "carpets," but Java Moss is not one of the best. The others, like Christmas Moss etc. are much better, and they manage in lower light.

The Marineland Double Bright LED will be fine for mosses, but may not be for the hairgrass-type. Some people have luck with these plants in less light, others do not. CO2 certainly improves their growth, coupled with brighter light. Not something I would do here.

This is only a 10g, and most tetra will need more space than this. But there are a few, and one species will max out the tank (with 7-8 fish of that species). However, such fish also need a lot of cover. And that is going to be a problem here. In open tanks most all forest fish will be stressed, and that means continual problems that otherwise would not be present. The environment is a crucial factor in fish health, just as much as water quality.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    I would worry about putting any bottom dweller that likes to "play" in the substrate. I would think a group of cories would quickly ruin the line between the sand on the baseball diamond and the grass.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for advice on the moss. Should be noted that the tank will be 30 gallon so 3 schools of 6+ fish should be good. I didn't want to do cichlids because I don't want the aggression. One fish would be boring, especially if not active. I think tetras are best option and I just need to create a decor/aquascape for them to be comfortable in yet maintain the theme...

Other
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    Thanks for advice on the moss. Should be noted that the tank will be 30 gallon so 3 schools of 6+ fish should be good. I didn't want to do cichlids because I don't want the aggression. One fish would be boring, especially if not active. I think tetras are best option and I just need to create a decor/aquascape for them to be comfortable in yet maintain the theme...

Other
    My fault on missing the 30g, I was obviously thinking 10g. So yes, tetra are fine, and you can have several species in groups. I would stay with "quiet" rather than active, up to a point. But there are many suitable species. I won't bog down with names unless asked. And if you do ask, let me know your water parameters (GH and pH) as this can be significant with some of them, less with others. Of course, the issue of the open space is still a real problem with these fish. Many simply do not like open water; their instinct tells them it is dangerous.

Byron.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    u know i was wondering if u could make bleachers or something if u are lacking cover? n if u add the wall with moss to it might work out idk for sure just n idea if u are planning to get that much into details. inside could be a complex tunnel/caves which would probly make a nice cover.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-6Cardinal Tetra-8,Panda Cory-1(whisker issues),emerald cory-5"
    "(1) Angelfish,,1 Zebra Nerite"
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Moss,Java Ferns,Dwarf Hair Grass
    10 Gallon with a betta,3oto

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What an AWESOME idea! I love it!

I was going to suggest playsand even before you talked about adding cories... gotta have sand for a baseball diamond!

I agree with the recommendation against java moss. That stuff gets out of hand in a hurry and if you won't be regularly maintaining the tank, I'm not sure if the family will want to trim it all the time.

If you're planning on doing some sort of moss wall in the back I think that would be plenty of cover for the tetras.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is scene with some driftwood. Ill play with it some more but I do like idea of moss wall to look like the famous ivy of wrigley. I also would love to do real grass field and am considering the hair grass grown dry start while tank cycles. It may also work with a light color moss like flame or pearl or coral moss? The back wall should be small dark leaves (willow moss?).

I was thinking bleachers too! I think the scoreboard will be out of tank since I'm fire it isn't made for water.

What you think? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380082314.653289.jpg

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    My fault on missing the 30g, I was obviously thinking 10g. So yes, tetra are fine, and you can have several species in groups. I would stay with "quiet" rather than active, up to a point. But there are many suitable species. I won't bog down with names unless asked. And if you do ask, let me know your water parameters (GH and pH) as this can be significant with some of them, less with others. Of course, the issue of the open space is still a real problem with these fish. Many simply do not like open water; their instinct tells them it is dangerous.

Byron.
    There is thought considered in picking the tetras because I want colors to match teams. Of course I want fish to be happy and healthy too though! I don't know Kh or ph yet but will do a test next time I'm at their house to make sure it isn't extreme. Most tetras will acclimate even if ph isn't perfect 7 right?

The kid is only 2 but think a school of cardinals will grab attention with their neon blue and either peppermint or bloodfin tetras would be the red school.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    u could do the albino bristle nose as the crazed streakers fan XD lol sry every time i watch a game theres always that random fan that jumps out on field naked.. sorry if this is out of line lol its just they do look like streakers

you know i wonder if u can angle that driftwood to look like bleachers and then use like a slate rock or something as a wall hmmm might work from what i can tell in picture.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-6Cardinal Tetra-8,Panda Cory-1(whisker issues),emerald cory-5"
    "(1) Angelfish,,1 Zebra Nerite"
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Moss,Java Ferns,Dwarf Hair Grass
    10 Gallon with a betta,3oto