· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Planning stages of 30 gallon baseball themed aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    So my buddy knows I've been into aquariums past 2 years and he and his wife want me to design a small tank for their 2 year old in a baseball theme. Wanted to share my ideas and ask for advice in this thread as it relates to fish selection, plant selection, and aquascape! I have posted a thread before (her: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...951&highlight=) but the title was misleading since I've upgraded to 30 gallon. Thanks for looking!

Inspiration: The family is into baseball and she being from Chicago, wants the design to look like Wrigley. So far, I found a plastic Wrigley scoreboard and purchased two McFarlane 6" action figures for the decoration. The "scene" will be Sosa batting and Halladay pitching. I am looking for a background that will give tank depth so was thinking I can add plants in the back to resemble the ivy (probably moneywort rather than a moss wall) and have a picture of the bleachers for the back. I was thinking the fish can be a school of cardinals (like the cubs colors - blue and red) and school of candycane/peppermint tetras since they are red and white. I have 2 emperor tetras in my discus tank that I would like to rehome to this tank and they could be umpires. I would add another 1 or 2 to increase the school.

Tank - 30 gallon (36.3" x 12.7" x 16.8")
    Lighting - Marineland Doublebright LED 36"
    Substrate - brown play sand, maybe green gravel to replicate a field

I am attaching a picture of what the tank looks like with 2 figures (Halladay coming in mail so I used another for now) with proposed background idea looking down 3rd line base.
    Attachment 30344Attachment 303439-22-13 sm.jpg
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    Tastes aside, this sounds like a pretty bare tank. All tetras I can think of will do a lot better if there's some cover in the tank. Not having that can easily lead to stress and then problems like ich aren't that far away.
    Another practical issue, are you sure those figures and things are tank safe?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Talldutchie! I remember you helping with my tank! I could use some more advice on filling up the tank.

I have the figures in water now to test. I know the resin is fish safe and I assume since the toys are safe for kids, the paints will likely be safe too.

I am thinking stem plant like moneywort planted closely in the background. Could do some floating plants like water sprite or water lettuce for some cover. I could line the sides with another mid ground plant? With the LED, I'm not sure how well a carpet will grow. I could possible put them in a 20 gallon tank that I have with a T5 but since they are not experienced, tank will not have CO2, and I live far away, I question how likely it is the carpet will grow like a field.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    maybe java moss for substrate for the green, rather than gravel?

I'm also thinking for persepctive/background, have the pitcher/batter/catcher go corner to corner, rather than side to side. If you put the batter/catcher to a back corner, you can use a background that shows behind the plate, rather than full bleachers/people - which will be less busy and darker so the fish stand out better and the dark will be more comfortable for them.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 09-23-2013 at 05:15 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    maybe java moss for substrate for the green, rather than gravel?
    Love that idea! I've seen mats made of it and know I can create my own. I wonder how well it will grow with the LED light though...

0 Not allowed!
    Java moss isn't that demanding. I've grown it in my 70 liter under and old t8.
    Another idea is a riccia carpet but that might be too high maintenance.
    If there's no bottom dwellers.. anything*artificial grass available that's safe?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Java moss isn't that demanding. I've grown it in my 70 liter under and old t8.
    Another idea is a riccia carpet but that might be too high maintenance.
    If there's no bottom dwellers.. anything*artificial grass available that's safe?
    Riccia prob too demanding as will be glosso. I'm considering dwarf hairgrass though.

I got the idea to have "cleanup crew" of pygmy cories so that would require sand

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    Riccia prob too demanding as will be glosso. I'm considering dwarf hairgrass though.

I got the idea to have "cleanup crew" of pygmy cories so that would require sand
    Sorry, I generally shudder when I see someone wants a "clean up crew" in a tank - it's the owners responsibility to clean up the tank - like vacuuming the substrate, changing the water, not overfeeding, etc - but I'm sure you know this. A fish should be purchased because you like them - not to do a job in a tank.

And, there are those of us (including myself) who keep cories with a gravel bottom as long as it's smooth pieces.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Sorry, I generally shudder when I see someone wants a "clean up crew" in a tank - it's the owners responsibility to clean up the tank - like vacuuming the substrate, changing the water, not overfeeding, etc - but I'm sure you know this. A fish should be purchased because you like them - not to do a job in a tank.

And, there are those of us (including myself) who keep cories with a gravel bottom as long as it's smooth pieces.
    Thanks Imma! I think you helped me in the past too! Sorry I meant "clean up crew" as in groundskeeper in stadium. I will help them maintain the tank and already purchased a vac. I know what you mean though...some people buy plecos thinking they cleanup and eat poop...I know that isn't the case and certainly not the reason to purchase one. In this case, if I purchased the school of cories, they would give the look of constantly sifting through sand substrate and "working on the field" know what I mean?

0 Not allowed!
    You can keep healthy cories on rounded gravel but the little guys do seem to enjoy sand so much more. Not having them and just 2 shoals would simplify matters though.

Hmm.... my lack of baseball knowledge isn't helping. The pennyworth or something at the back would definitely help. Are all the stadiums open air?