· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question To fiddle or not to fiddle? pH concerns

0 Not allowed!
    I have finally got the 55 gal tank cycling and it is doing well. However, my water chemistry has me concerned:

pH = 8.2
    KH = 7
    GH = 9

Ammonia = 0.25
    Nitrites = 0
    Nitrates = 10

The water out of my tap is pH 8.2.

I have 7 neon tetras, a chinese algae eater, and 2 black mollies that appear to be doing fine. I would like to add 4 cherry barbs, 2 dwarf gouramis, a few marbled hatchet fish, and a ram. Do I need to be fiddling with my pH. I have read here that many times it is wise to leave it alone as changing the pH is problematic and can kill fish. Any suggestions? To fiddle or not to fiddle?

Thanks in advance
    "The manner with which we walk through life is each man's most important responsibility, and we should remember this with every new sunrise."
    --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW

3 Not allowed!
    I would suggest not to try and alter your pH as that can easily turn into harmful pH swings if you are not extremely careful

It might be best just to stick with fish that prefer the same type of hardness and pH that your tap water has
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    I agree. Livebearers will be fine, and there are some other fish that will manage too. Pristella Tetra is one tetra that seems to do well in non-soft water. I would not try soft water fish though (hatchets, neons, etc).

As for adjusting the pH, this is only successful if the GH and KH are also lowered, as all three are related. And GH is actually the more critical for fish, though a high pH is also going to be problematic for many soft-water fish. The safest way to lower GH and pH is with dilution of the tap water by "pure" water such as RO (reverse osmosis), distilled or even rainwater (if it is otherwise safe to use, which depends where you live). Once you get the GH and pH lowered, the natural biology of the aquarium will tend to keep it there.

My article on all this may give you some background:
    http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...uarium-188705/

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]