· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Mbuna Tank

Hybrid View

1. Default Mbuna Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this website, hoping I'm in the right section!!

I am going to set up a Mbuna tank in the next few months. The tank I am going to have made is 45 US Gallons (172 litres). The dimensions for it are: 850mm length, 450mm height and 450mm depth. I can't go any larger than this and cannot reduce height or depth to increase length. With the height and depth, I can increase one and decrease the other. Anyway to the point, I want to keep 4 Demasoni, 4 Electric Yellow and 4 Blue Mbuna in groups of 1x male and 3x female. I know this might be pushing it but I know that a little over crowing can reduce aggression. I would do plenty of water changes (30% 2X week) and will have a good external filter and UV purifier. I know some of you may think this is too much but bare in mind the tanks longish for 45 Gallon and will be kept very clean.

You're constructive thoughts please? Please note I cannot go any bigger with tank. If completely necessary, I could cut out one of the groups of fish. I am experienced with tropical s but note really with Malawi Cichlids.

Regards,

Louis

0 Not allowed!
    I have read that 55 gallons is an absolute minimum for mbuna tanks, but I have never kept these fish. I would worry that it just won't provide the appropriate territories for all those breeding fish.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    4 dems is a recipe for disaster. In that size tank, you'll need to do all dems if you want to keep them.

Electric yellows are too large for your tank. Not sure which species you're referring to as Blue Mbuna.

I would recommend a single species for this size tank. Demasoni could work but if you want color contrast go with. Ps. Saulosi. Blue barred males, bright yellow females. Plus they stay small and are less aggressive then many other mbuna species.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    In a 45 gal tank, I think you are fine for two groups with a total of 8-10 fish with only one male per. Personally I believe that Yellow Labs are fine, if you are reffering to a seperate electric yellow please list the scientific name. I wouldnt ever do a Demasoni of any type in a tank smaller than a 90 based on their bad attitude. Red Zebra's though would be ok I suppose. But you are looking at 1m 3f because of their potential in size. 5in but bulky.

If I may though, could I suggest going with Peacocks? They are generally smaller fish, have a larger variation of bright colors and are more peaceful.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for reply's everyone. I'm quite keen to keep 3 species and some one suggested 4 Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab, more commonly called electric yellow in New Zealand) 4 Maylandia estherae (red zebra) and 4 Maylandia callainos (cobalt blue zebra). This would be 12 which could be pushing it a little but will also be a good thing as will spread out aggression. I will provide plenty of caves for them. Sound good?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you dont sell any fry from the tank, I see no issues. The red and blue zebra can cross breed. But this is my opinion. I have a full grown male red zebra in with peacocks that are half his size and he is no bother at all.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for good advice. I've decided to get a long 45 gal made which has the same footprint as a 55 (48"L 13"D 18"H). 13"w seems to be standard for long 45's and normal 55's, always seems so narrow to me. Now the next mission is finding something (cheap but sturdy) to put it on!!