· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Did I Just Ruin my Cycle?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so I was doing the water changes for my 10 and 20 gallon tanks. For the past month and a half I've been cycling an Aquaclear 30 on my 2.5 gallon. Its been doing alright and I've been able to keep ammonia levels at 3.0ppm constantly. My issue is today when I was doing my water changes on my other two tanks I went to top off the 2.5 gallon with some left over water from my last bucket used to fill the 20 ( I use buckets to bring the new water from my kitchen to my fish tanks, I had some left over in the bucket after I filled the 20 gallon so I used it to fill top off the 2.5). My issue is that I Primed the 20 gallon before the new water was added so I didn't have to prime each new bucket added to the tank. This means the water added to my 2.5 was NOT primed. I noticed about 10 or 20 minutes later and immediately primed the 2.5.

My question is, do you guys think I just killed my cycle? I've been working on this cycle for almost 2 months and I just got a new heater for the tank to raise up the temperature. I really don't want to have to restart this thing again.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    Time will tell how much of impact the chlorinated water will have on your bacteria. I'm sure there was some die-off but its hard to tell how much

Keep a close eye on your parameters as that will let you know
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The thing I noticed when I read is that the ammonia has been a steady 3ppm. You need to let the ammonia fall to 0 to keep the cycle going. You might get a cycle kickstart if you remove your ammonia source for a few days and then put half of it back it for the nitrite half.

I dont know if this will work since I have only used liquid ammonia to fishless cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    Couldn't you use media from your 20 or your 10 to help speed up (or restart, if needed) the 2.5g cycle?

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I've been using dead Nerite snails to cycle the tank. I have two small snails in there. They're almost completely rotten. My ammonia started at about 6-8ppm and slowly has been going down for the past month and a half. Last I tested it was at 3ppm and that was about a week or two ago. I haven't seen nitrites yet but at the same time I haven't even tested for Nitrates. For all I know the cycle could be complete and I could just have a lot of ammonia from the rotting snails. I overdosed the prime a bit as I was worried if I ruined my cycle so my readings won't be accurate if I test now. In a day or two I'll test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and see if I made any progress.

@wgoldfarb my 10 and 20 gallon have tetra whisper filters on them which use cartridge media and my Aquaclear uses bio-stones. The media from my 10 and 20 wouldn't fit in the Aquaclear XD trust me I would've loved to kickstart it like that.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 09-22-2013 at 12:26 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Gesp

In not familiar with the aquaclear but I also have a tetra whisper. As you know the cartridges for the whisper consist of a white "bag" filled with carbon. You can take carbon from inside the bag after it has been in your other tank for a while, and use the carbon in your aquaclear. The carbon itself will be depleted but it doesn't matter: what you want is the bacteria on the carbon granules. Perhaps not much of a seed, but since the tank you are cycling is small, it might be enough.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no, I'm not cycling the 2.5. I'm cycling my aquaclear on a 2.5 to eventually be transferred to my 10 gallon. I'll be testing the levels in the 2.5 tomorrow, hopefully there's some change.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Tested my levels and I still have about 2-3.0ppm of ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. I'm able to keep the ammonia levels constant but I'm just still not seeing those nitrites. I have only had the new heater on the tank for a few days though, the tank is at exactly 85 degrees. Hopefully in the next few days-weeks I see some nitrites. Its not that I don't have enough ammonia its just that nothing seems to be happening T-T

Just a side question, would cleaning bio-stones before adding them to the filter ruin them? Before I set up this tank I took some old bio-stones I had and cleaned them vigorously with Calcium Hypochlorite, I made sure I scrubbed them a lot in fresh water and then let them soak for a few days in water with Prime in it, I occasionally changed the water. The stones don't smell like the chemicals and look brand new. I also added the bio-stones that come with the Aquaclear to the filter as well. So I have the small Aquaclear bio-stones and normal marble sized bio-stones. WHY AM I NOT SEEING NITRITES, I've never had issues with cycling before. I was always able to do it within a month or so by just adding a few pinches of fish food every couple of days.

Now I'm having no progress with yet I'm monitoring all my levels and never letting the ammonia fall below 2.0

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    Tested my levels and I still have about 2-3.0ppm of ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. I'm able to keep the ammonia levels constant but I'm just still not seeing those nitrites. I have only had the new heater on the tank for a few days though, the tank is at exactly 85 degrees. Hopefully in the next few days-weeks I see some nitrites. Its not that I don't have enough ammonia its just that nothing seems to be happening T-T

Just a side question, would cleaning bio-stones before adding them to the filter ruin them? Before I set up this tank I took some old bio-stones I had and cleaned them vigorously with Calcium Hypochlorite, I made sure I scrubbed them a lot in fresh water and then let them soak for a few days in water with Prime in it, I occasionally changed the water. The stones don't smell like the chemicals and look brand new. I also added the bio-stones that come with the Aquaclear to the filter as well. So I have the small Aquaclear bio-stones and normal marble sized bio-stones. WHY AM I NOT SEEING NITRITES, I've never had issues with cycling before. I was always able to do it within a month or so by just adding a few pinches of fish food every couple of days.

Now I'm having no progress with yet I'm monitoring all my levels and never letting the ammonia fall below 2.0
    You're not seeing nitrites because you are keeping up your ammonia level. You have to let it drop to zero before redosing 1/2 your original dose. If you keep adding ammonia, without letting it drop to 0 first, you will never see nitrites.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So should I do water changes over the course of a few days to get it to drop? Its not like I'm continuing to dose ammonia. I added two dead Nerite snails to the tank and they've been keeping the ammonia levels constant for weeks. I occasionally add a bit of food but only rarely. Should I remove the snails and slowly let the levels drop? Or should I change the water over a few days?