· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Saltwater newbie questions...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

Well, I currently have three freshwater tanks: 125 gallon goldfish tank, 60 gallon neon/shrimp tank, and a 45 gallon bowfront tank. The bowfront tank is currently set up, but uncycled and unstocked. I bought live plants for the tank, and even though I dipped them as recommended, I ended up with a snail outbreak. This being the case, I'm going to take advantage of it being empty and just take it all down and start from scratch.

As I was looking at the tank, I started thinking it would be a really nice looking saltwater reef tank. I wouldn't want anything too fancy...just corals, a couple of clownfish, and a clean up crew. Now here's the thing...I've never even attempted a saltwater setup before. The upside is, I have time on my side and there's no hurry, so I can ease myself into learning what I need to know.

I do have a couple of questions though...with the size of the tank, and with it not being drilled, I'm curious about filtration options. If I were to get a HOB protein skimmer and a HOB refugium, would those combined with live rock be enough filtration for the tank?

At this point, I'm really just trying to figure out what I would need to buy as far as filtration, lights, etc. that I would need to get before I start trying to do anything. It all seems very complicated to me right now, but I did a lot of reading the last week or so and it's making more sense to me now. If any of you have any advice or recommendations for me, I greatly appreciate any help or info you may have. Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    I would think you would be OK with a good quality HOB skimmer and a good quantity of live rock.

The below links could also help

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/com...ine-aquariums/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/cur...ine-aquariums/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I ran a 50gal reef tank for a couple years, with no skimmer, sump or refugium. Just powerheads, an ATO, and an HOB filter for carbon and ChemiPure and good lighting.

It all depends on what you want to keep and how fast you want to get there. I wanted a simple low tech tank, easy maintenance. I kept corals, different crabs/shrimp, and different fishes without undue problems. Flow, lighting, and water quality are the main things to keep balanced for successful reefing. Any additional equipment is icing - maintains better consistency and ease of maintenance and fine tunes parameters for optimal growth, but not strictly necessary.
    I was not concerned with booming coral growth and was quite happy with the health of my tank using my "low tech" approach. Just make sure to buy a good quality heater!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just an idea but if you have the filter for the tank you could convert it into a refug for even more filtration. Tis what I did.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Or you could stay with FW and do a nice size group of shellies.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't overstock, lots of LR, the HOB fuge/skimmer, and just the regular weekly water (use RO water and GOOD quality salt) changes and you're all set. Saltwater tanks aren't that hard to maintain, especially a low maintenance setup.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    my 55g reef gets by on a large HOB skimmer and 2 powerheads. you can keep it simple and as you expand your knowledge and experience you can always upgrade or add tank/equip depending on where you go with your setup.

as for lighting, either T5s or LEDs are your best bet. try to buy the best you can afford here because it will dictate what corals you will be able to keep.
    Last edited by Crispy; 09-28-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    Thar she blows!!!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the responses gang...I appreciate it. I read through everything I could find and I also found a really good video series on Bulkreefsupplies' youtube channel. I feel a lot more comfortable now. I just have to save up a bit for the light system that I want. Thanks!