· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default need help with apon's

0 Not allowed!
    Long story short I changed out substrate and in doing so I damaged my apons pretty bad . Some of the stems on each one have started to become almost transparent. changed from gravel to sand . I am thinking maybe add some liquid fert to help them out and or trim away faded parts and hope for the best after fert is applied , also planted 6 more bulbs . 4 apons 2 water onions. when I changed out substrate I left in the mulm that was under gravel . parameters are at amm. 0 trItes o , trates lower than the normal 20 down to what I can make out as around 10 or less due to the water change . Main ? is should I trim off the bad looking pieces or leave them be .
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

0 Not allowed!
    If the stems themselves are completely brown in one area, that will eliminate any transfer of nutrients, so I would remove the leaves as they will only yellow and die. I find that Aponogeton leaves when dying tend to disintegrate from the tips, and sometimes I don't even see that the leaf is dying; in the interim there is a mess of rotting vegetation.

Substrate tabs will help these plants. At least, mine improved dramatically. Though liquid comprehensive fertilizers will provide the nutrients only more slowly. But some nutrients that are only taken up via the leaves of plants need to be in the water, so both liquid and substrate tabs is best here.

Most species also go through a dormant phase too. You may already know this, but thought I'd mention it. Sometimes aquarists wonder why the plant has suddenly "died," not realizing it will return in a few months.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Byron . As always you right on the money . I did some pruning and will pick up some frets tomorrow. Thanks again ,I'll let you know how it goes.uploadfromtaptalk1379801280590.jpg
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.