· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default new 70 gallon tank for 3 goldfish + others

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a 70 gallon tank (4ft long) with a stand and a Rena xp3 canister filter rated for 175 gallons for $200.00. It came with a lot of food, medicine, a couple nets, a couple straight edge scraper things, glass lid and light.

I've been looking for a tank to upgrade for my goldfish for a while and after a failed 120 gallon attempt I found this 70 gallon. I wasn't quite sure about it because of the size (being smaller than I wanted) but I couldn't pass up such a nice looking tank (I can post pics later) and 70 gallons is still better than 40 gallons!

My plan is to move my 7" comet, and 5" oranda and black moore, along with my khuli loaches to the 70 gallon tank and keep them there for a couple more years. Then, I will upgrade for the last time to a 120 gallon tank. I also want to add a school of Boesamani Rainbows.

When I move the goldfish to the 70 gallon tank, I will use the 40 gallon tank for a small/medium SA cichlid tank with a firemouth, t-bar cichlid, honduran red point, and maybe a yellow convict (if I can find one). Once I upgrade for the final time, getting a 120 gallon tank, I will use the 70 for the cichlids.

I know the 70 gallon is still going to be overstocked with 3 large goldies, but it'll have the Rena xp3 and I've also got a fluval 110 I can put on it too if necessary. Just wanted to share and see if anyone had any feedback or sees any flaws in my plan. Thanks!
    Last edited by stalefish83; 09-20-2013 at 06:40 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Seems like a nice setup! :)
    And when you post pics, could you post one of your kuhlis? :3 (I love kuhli loaches so much!)
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sure thing! These are old pictures but as a fellow khuli lover here ya go

Sorry this one is so blurry

I'll get pics of the new tank probably next week

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can't wait to see pics of the new tank, and thanks for the pics of the kuhlis! :)
    I have no idea why, but loaches are by far my favorite fish, and kuhli loaches my favorite of them :)
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here it is empty. I bleached everything because it looked like it had cyanobacteria and there's NO WAY I want to deal with that. I bleached it in a 1/10 concentration for 15 minutes then let everything dry completely, then soaked it overnight in highly de-chlorinated water.

It's of course cloudy because of the sand. I've got the Rena XP3 and an Aquatop CF300. It also has the Fluval 110 but I'll be taking that off next week when I get the 40 gallon set up for my firemouth

Happy little Kuhli! (for you buddy) :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddytrooper View Post
    Can't wait to see pics of the new tank, and thanks for the pics of the kuhlis! :)
    I have no idea why, but loaches are by far my favorite fish, and kuhli loaches my favorite of them :)
    I know exactly what you mean! I go back and forth on what my favorite fish are, my internal debate rages with all the reasons why I like the different fish I have, but I always land on the kuhli loaches. I just recently read that they can potentially live up to 20 years!! How cool is that?!

I would love to some day be able to do a scientific study on their colony habits (if I can find a way to monitor and track their movements) because I swear they are super intelligent fish with highly a sophisticated society... It's just a feeling I have
    Last edited by stalefish83; 09-23-2013 at 10:24 PM.