· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

View Poll Results: Keep the Discus or Re-home them?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the discus and do your homework as it should be

7 100.00%
  • Re-home the discus and keep the other fishes only

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1. Default Keep the Discus, or Re-home them?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi every one,
    I spend more than a week now, trying to help my new discus stay healthy and unstressed in my 90g planted aquarium.
    I did most of members valued advice, which led me to succeed with some thing and failed with some other things.
    What i noticed from the first day i made the thread (My Discus not eating!! WHY?), that there is 2 groups of the forum member, regarding to that thread.
    First group want me to continue my hard work and keep both discus and other fishes, but with lots of maintenance and work. The 2end group want me to chose between discus and other fishes, to keep in my aquarium.
    So either keeping Discus in the tank alone, or re-home the discus and keep the other fishes in the tank.

What do you think, please your opinion is Critical to me/my tank/my discus and my other fishes.

Thank you very much
    Last edited by rubema; 09-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.

2. Default

3 Not allowed!
    Hey - I read your other thread and don't think you fully understand what members here are conveying. Your discus are obviously stressed so you must get them comfortable by having stable water conditions and "comfortable" environment (including light, hiding places, tank mates, etc).

Allow me:
    1. Keep doing what you're doing with water changes! You need to get nitrates 5-10 consistently which may mean changing water often. Get used to it! Best way to get rid of nitrates is NEW water. In your case, use the PRIME with water changes as directed in your last thread (treat entire volume of tank, not just the amount changed) and add directly to aquarium IF AND ONLY IF you are changing to the same temperature and PH. You have to test water in aquarium and tap to confirm they are the same. More likely, you will have some difference so you can change only a certain percentage of water at a time because unstable PH is another cause of stress for discus!
    2. Most discus can adjust to lights. Since yours are stressed, they will not do well with bright lights so add some "cover" like floating plants (water sprite, hornwort, etc) which will provide cover AND also help with nitrates! YES!
    3. Discus get stressed when other fish are trying to eat them and when they see little ones speeding all over the place. So...take one way or another...you need to separate the discus from the plecos and danios. The members are not on 2 sides...just want to make sure the discus are NOT kept with the fish that will stress them out - especially now!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

1 Not allowed!
    Fish summed it up nicely. The decision is yours, not ours. You will need to separate the discus from your other fish. It's up to you to decide if you want to set up another tank for the discus and keep them properly or return\rehome them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    3. Discus get stressed when other fish are trying to eat them and when they see little ones speeding all over the place. So...take one way or another...you need to separate the discus from the plecos and danios. The members are not on 2 sides...just want to make sure the discus are NOT kept with the fish that will stress them out - especially now!
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

2 Not allowed!
    Discus are 0ne 0f th0se fish species that are rather picky ab0ut their habitat and sh0uld be studied up 0n extensively bef0re purchasing them. They aren't imp0ssible t0 keep happy- they just like it their way. If y0u plan 0n keeping them, plan 0n g0ing 0ut 0f y0ur way t0 d0 extra w0rk f0r them. I w0uldn't recommend discus t0 an aquarist wh0 is n0t rather well versed in general kn0wledge 0f fish keeping 0r ready and willing t0 g0 the extra mile. They can get expensive t0 keep buying if y0u aren't keeping them pr0perly. Make n0 mistake, my friend, the f0lks that are giving y0u advice want what is best f0r y0ur fish and will lead y0u d0wn the right path, great pe0ple here. G00d luck, I h0pe that if y0u keep them they thrive f0r y0u. They are true cr0wning jewels in a tank.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

2 Not allowed!
    I've given my comments in the other thread, but just for the sake of completeness I'll answer here too. Though I can't "vote" because both questions are rather off the mark. Either option will work, but both mean separating the existing fish. Whether you remove the discus and lower the temperature for the other fish, or whether you remove all the other fish and maintain the discus. One or the other.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will agree with what the others have stated .
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    I just posted over on your previous thread. I want to make something clear on my recomendations are not based on your getting rid of fish. Its to cure the fish that are not healthy. After you get them healthy you can then work out your stocking situation.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is the same post which i did in the main thread, please keep your advice's and posts to the main thread, so there will be no duplicate.
    _____

Hi every one,
    I really want to say thank you all from my deep heart, for your great and much appreciate advice's, which make this hobby very easy to understand, no matter the hard work/money i lost.

I read each and every word here in this thread and the poll one, and yes you all right, its my responsibility to chose either to keep the discus and do my homework as it should be, or re-home them. And i by my self accept what most of you advice, to focus first of all to how to make the discus happy and less stress, then start re-home the other fish which they are not suitable to keep with the discus.

So what i will do now is, take out the discus from my 90 gallon tank and keep them separately in other QT, treat and feed them also make them less stress and shy...

And for that i have an idea, i dont know if it will work or not, please help me to decade.
    I have 8g tank (check the picture) its for my kids, which has 4 small turtles + 4 snails and it has the kio fish with other pleco which i am re-homing them, its fully cycled but i don't know whats the parameters is, i will check them all today.

So my concern now, should like this tank do the job for my poor discus?

I am ready to buy some more plants to make some hiding placing for the QT. Or any thing else it make the discus much happy and without any stress.

So please help me and continue your favor, and keep your excellent advice's coming and coming to help those discus and make them in good health.

My 8g tank, which i will make it as QT for the discus

Attachment 30328

0 Not allowed!
    an 8 gallon wont do. try at least 30
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just curious, what're you gonna do with the turtles? Sorry if you already said and I missed it.
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."