· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is it okay to move a brooding Taiwan reef?

0 Not allowed!
    A few days ago, we moved our Taiwan reef pair into their 75-gallon permanent home. Last night we noticed that the female isn't eating and her mouth seems "full." Is it okay to move her into her own tank to ensure the survival or the fry? Or will this be too stressful and cause her to lose her brood?
    15 gal: 1 butt-ton Malaysian trumpet snails.
    20 gal: 20+ various molly and platy fry.
    55 gal: 40 neon tetras.
    75 gal: 2 Taiwan reef cichlids, 3 pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus juveniles.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on the fish and how well they take handling - I would strip the female and put the eggs in a tumbler if you want the best survival rate.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about if I just want a 25%-50% survival rate? Can I scoop out the fry after they're born, or will they get chomped right away? Besides the parents there are 3 juveniles of another cichlid species in the tank.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    It is all going to be circumstance. if you can catch the babies while they are out of the mouth of the mom or not and if they dont get gobbled up... If you already have a fry tank, I would do the easy thing, *you can make a cheap diy egg tumbler for around $5*. Have the female spit the eggs and house them in the fry tank.

Otherwise its all up to chance.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you know when she started holding? I've had the most success estimating when the fry are ready and stripping the female at that point. I've had some success removing the female from the main tank and putting her in a "nursery tank," but I always seemed to end up with more fry stripping.

If you strip early things get tricky. I had two (super cute) deformed mbuna fry because I stripped the female early and they still had big yolk sacs. They survived for about a year and I had to keep them in a separate tank.

If you choose to move her in a tank and let her spit on her own, make sure there is a lot of cover/hiding spaces in the fry tank. If she feels the babies won't be safe she will hang onto them longer. You'll need to remove the female from the fry tank after she's released her fry.... in a day or so she'll turn around and eat the fry.

Keep in mind that stressed females can spit their fry early, so have a plan for catching her and try to do it quickly and with as least stress possible.

I also have "maternity tanks" where I put females after they've released their fry. Keep in mind that females are unable to eat while brooding so they tend to be quite weak. Putting them back into a tank with an aggressive male can cost you the female.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She was definitely not eating as of 4 days ago. I'm pretty sure she had the eggs before we moved them into the 75-gallon, so they survived that move.

How do I know if the male is "aggressive"?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Chasing - bullying - nipping - look for torn fins on the female.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh. No, he's quite the gentleman. And it's a big tank so she can avoid him if she wants to.

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMolly View Post
    Oh. No, he's quite the gentleman. And it's a big tank so she can avoid him if she wants to.
    But that can change at the drop of a hat. If he starts pestering there is a chance she could eat the eggs or fry. I have always had the best results moving the mom to her own tank. Sponge filter, Bare bottomed, with a hiding spot for her. Once she has kicked the younguns out transfer her back to the main tank. Just before you want to move her back change the aquascaping a bit and move her after lights out.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well... we may have a problem. We stripped her 2 weeks ago and the fry were already free-swimming. We had an empty 15-gallon tank, but it was much more acidic, so we put them in a breeder box in the parents' tank. Then yesterday I saw something small swimming around in a rock cave. Apparently we didn't get all the fry. And this one was bigger than the others. I had been afraid the box would stunt their growth, so we decided to release all of them and wish them the best. Well, mommy cichlid has taken them all (except the one escapee) back in her mouth. Is she EVER going to spit them? Are they going to starve in there? This was the last thing I expected. I have a 9-month-old son and I think this would be like putting him back in my womb.