· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is there a problem in keeping 2 males w/1 female?

0 Not allowed!
    To tell you the truth, as many years as I've kept tropical fish, I've never had a goldfish live more than a few months. I only kept them as a kid, back when I really didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, I now have a veiltail goldfish, Sashimi, that I've had going on three years and "she's" about 6 inches long. I have a fantail, Maki, that is probably 3-4 inches and about 1 1/2-2 years old, and a ryukin, Nigiri, who's around 2-3 inches that I've had about 6 months (I don't know how old any of them were when I got them at my lfs.

Maki and Nigiri now have those "nuptial tubercles" on their gill covers and the row of white bumps along the edge of their pectoral fins, which I'm told makes them both males. The veiltail, Sashimi, who I've had longer than the other two has never had these appear. Is it safe to assume that she's female? Also, as I've never had one live to adulthood, I wasn't sure about breeding. I don't intend to breed them and really don't want them to, unless it's unavoidable. I was wondering if it would be too stressful for Sashimi, if she is female, to be in the same tank with 2 males. I also didn't know if it mattered that they're all different types.

I love my tropicals but I have to say that I am leaning more and more strongly to these goldfish - such personality!! I just love them.

Thanks for any info you can give me so they stay as happy as they seem now!

Lisa

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got a couple young males and a couple young females (as of yet, no tubercles visible) and they seem to do alright together. The guys don't seem to chase or harass the girls very much at all...... but just occasionally follow them around, but not pestering them. I don't know if it's just because they're relatively immature or what. I'm sure it varies with individual fish. But, this is just my limited experience in the past 2 1/2 years or so. I'm learning lots as I go, fairly new to goldfish, but I'm doing well. I'm also interested in breeding behaviour between different types of goldfish. I've never really looked into this.

And just guessing...... but if they breed, I'd figure your 3 fish would eat the eggs anyway, depending on the environment they're in. A lucky few may survive.

And I, too, just love my goldfish to bits! They are so interesting the more I learn about them and my fish are just gorgeous! Of course, I'm biased, though! :)

Julie
    Last edited by ArkD'Julie; 09-18-2013 at 08:49 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure about goldfish breeding behaviour but I've seen goldfish when they are determined and they can be rough, so it's probably not advisable to outnumber the female like this. You don't mention the size of the tank/pond you have these fish in, or the filtration that you have. Can you provide detail of this? It might actually reveal why you've been so unsuccessful with keeping them alive in the past.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have them in way too small a tank - a 20 gallon. I'm moving up to a 40 gallon for them, but it won't be until Christmas time. I've been doing massive water changes (approx 75%) because they're too crowded.. However, they seem healthy and happy. When I kept them before it was always in the typical "goldfish bowl" with no filter, no idea about water chemistry, etc. No wonder the poor things croaked after a month or two.

I had some problems when I originally set up the tank since it wasn't fully cycled so they were getting reddish fins, but once the tank cycled, I haven't had any problems with them since. I currently have a 30 gallon filter on the 20 gallon tank. No nitrites or ammonia, but I admit my nitrates are higher than they should be, which is why I do large water changes weekly. Once they're in a 40 gallon, that shouldn't be a problem any longer. I hope!

I know with other fish, if you don't have the proper ratio of males to females, you can have problems. I know that's the case with certain cichlids. But I have no clue about goldfish. And again, I'm really loving them almost more than my tropicals - almost! So I plan on keeping them for a long time and figure I better learn more than I know now!

Lisa

0 Not allowed!
    If the goldfish decide to breed then there might be an issue, but I don't think they breed readily in tanks. Since goldfish are generally quite peaceful as long as they aren't breeding I would not expect major problems.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know - thanks!

1 Not allowed!
    You have a six inch fish in a 20 gal tank. Not to mention the other tank mates.

I'm sorry - not trying to be so negative, but even a 40 gal is going to be a real squeeze. These fish are in a really desperate situation and those water changes are the only thing keeping them alive. I know you're doing all you can for them but you need to be aware of the stress you're putting these fish under. Could you not find someone with a pond to put them in until you can get something more suitable? E.g. a 90 gal?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~