· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 75-gallon fresh cycle

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to do it: Bought a 75-gallon. Tried to load the picture on here but I either can't figure it out or it can't be done.20130916_004853.jpg. If that worked, yayy!

At any rate, this is day two of a fish less cycle. I have 20 lbs of Flourite on the bottom with white substrate on top. Will introduce plants this weekend and then wait for a good cycle. I put in a couple of rocks with bacteria from my 20-gallon and put in some flake food for the cycle to start. I forgot to pick up straight ammonia and frankly didn't feel comfortable using it.

Haven't done any testing yet and just ordered a Master test kit from Amazon (the test I have doesn't measure Ammonia, only Nitrites).

Salesman convinced me that the FLUVAL HOB 110 that pumps 500 gph was more than enough so I didn't pursue a canister...

Will post my thoughts as they come up. Feel free to add your own :)

Brandon

0 Not allowed!
    I tried to find your filter online - I'm guessing it's not enough - a 75gal tank should have enough filtration for at least 150 gal. Most filters are really good for half of what they are rated for - hence, a filter that's good for 50 gal is really meant for 25 gal because they are tested without media in them - once media is there, there's less water flow. What is the filter rated for. For a tank that size, many people use 2 filters - either a cannister or 2 HOB's.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with Imma. I'd get another HOB if you don't want or have room for a canister. I'd also put a black or dark blue background on the back glass. It will hide the cords and the better part of the HOBs.

Otherwise, tank looks great. Gorgeous cabinet.

Don't be afraid of ammonia. If you have an ACE hardware store anywhere near, they have what you need. It's the ACE brand janitorial strength ammonia. The use of flakes makes it difficult to achieve a fishless cycle because it's difficult to measure how much to use.
    In any event, good luck and don't be shy about asking questions. everyone here will be glad to help.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Imma, it's rated for 90 gallons. It's a Fluval 110. Thanks Fishmommie! How much Ammonia do you put in? Will get background and some other stuff for the tank this weekend.