· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Some good suggestions in this thread for possible fish, but also some possible issues.

Going with what you now have, which is quite a good mix, there are Congo Tetra, corys, Bolivian Rams. On the Rams, is this a bonded pair, or two males, two females, or a male/female pair? And the Congo, what is the male/female ratio? Depending what you say here, I would not be inclined to get more Congo in a 55g.

To the other suggestions. I would not consider any other cichlids or gourami. You've noticed issues with some of these already, and in my view that is exactly what I would expect, so stay away from these fish groups. While it may sometimes work, it often doesn't, and the risk of introducing trouble is not worth it. Acquiring fish and then taking them back is something that should be avoided and advance research usually achieves this.

Columbian Tetra and Diamond Tetra were mentioned. My first thought here is lack of colour, or similar colour to the Congo. I think you will be better going for a contrast. Too many white or "sparkling" fish will cause them all to blend in and you won't notice the "sparkle" of each as you do now. Columbian Tetra can be nippy; I know another member has them with no issues, but this cannot be guaranteed. I would not risk the Congo fins.

So, some suitable matches. Black Ruby Barbs were mentioned, and I happen to have a group of these in with my Congo and they are fine. BRB are perhaps the most peaceful of the barbs, except maybe for the cherry, and they have a nice constrasting colour with their black and ruby red, and the females are more distinctively barred. If you get them, go for a mix of male/female about even, and in your 55g I would say 8-10.

Other colour might be one of the tetra in the "Rosy" clade of Hyphessobrycon. Roberti Tetra (Hyphessobrycon bentosi), Rosy Tetra (H. rosaceus) are both peaceful. The Bleeding Heart is similar and gets a bit larger which is fine, but it also has a reputation of possibly fin nipping, and I would worry about these and the Congo. My BHT are very peaceful, but I don't have sedate long-fin fish in with them. The Black Phantom (H. megalopterus) and Red Phantom (H. sweglesi) are two more from the Rosy clade. Just make sure it is the true Red P if you get that, sometimes these fish are mis-identified. The Serpae or Minor Tetra is also in this group and must at all cost be avoided, as it is almost certain to fin nip the Congo.

Another group of possible fish is the rasbora. The common Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), a group of 11-12 would be colourful. And there are other medium rasbora that are perhaps less colourful but options.

Most of the above suit "average" water parameters.

Last comment on the cycling issue. Although I wouldn't suggest this to new aquarists, it is possible to cycle a new tank as you did with no issues to the fish. You had a large water volume with only 7 small fish, and all else being equal this should work. But again I do not recommend it. I would simply have some live plants in the tank, esp floating, to ensure this works.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 09-17-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Columbian Tetra can be nippy; I know another member has them with no issues, but this cannot be guaranteed. I would not risk the Congo fins.

Byron.
    Won't happen if the Congo and Columbian shoals are of sufficient size, meaning 10 to 12 of each. I do like the idea of adding some BR barbs though.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Another good suggestion. I have congos and columbians together and they sometimes even school together. both are great fish.
    Here's the proof.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    I too have kept Columbian's with fish as small as Ember tetras and Green neons, and not had a problem. I didn't do it on purpose but I had to move the Columbians from one tank to the other and thought I would have no embers left. They both lived together without any mishap for 10 months untill I gave the Columbians away.

I would never recomend any fish that I have not personally kept as a tank mate. About the only tetras I would not recomend for a community tank would be Serpae (even in larger numbers) and Black line tetras. That being said; several members have kept Serpaes with no problem, FM, Mandy, Kevin, chime in anytime.
    Last edited by steeler58; 09-17-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    welcomewave.gif to the AC, the place to be for fishkeeping!

We do love photos...............
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I would not consider any other cichlids or gourami. You've noticed issues with some of these already, and in my view that is exactly what I would expect, so stay away from these fish groups. While it may sometimes work, it often doesn't, and the risk of introducing trouble is not worth it. Acquiring fish and then taking them back is something that should be avoided and advance research usually achieves this.Byron.
    On this I would respectfully disagree. I have no problem housing my congos and colombians with my sevs and angel and my EBJD. My choice for the OP's tank would be the gold sev (a very mild mannered SA cichlid) which would provide a brilliant pop of color which the OP is looking for. Again, from my experience this could work very well. I also had a GBR in this mix at one point with no problems. again, this is just my take based on my experience.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I think it is important for all to bear something in mind. Personal experiences of any of us are just that, our experience in one situation. Another situation with different lighting, different water parameters, different tankmates...can create a very different result. Then we have individual fish which can vary too, for reasons we do not yet fathom.

This applies to me as well as everyone in the hobby.

My suggestions for fish compatibility are usually based upon the advice of ichthyologists like Neale Monks, Matt Ford, Heiko Bleher, etc., plus my own observations which if different I would mention. These are by necessity generalities, but based upon the natural disposition of the species under optimum conditions. In other words, the norm, not the exceptions, which do occur.

I could have saved myself some fish losses if I hasd known then what I understand now.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Well the word experience goes along ways, I will still hire the person with more experience over a degree anyday. Alot of us have experience but I always hate to play that card myself. You mentioned alot of reliable sources but I can throw out the names, Innes, Axelrod, Mills and Baensch to name a few that I still follow their advice (still have all the books) even though some are deceased.

Bottom line is: we are are here to guide people the best we can, not always tell them what only works in a perfect world.
    Last edited by steeler58; 09-18-2013 at 01:50 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep