· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking suggestions fornew hobbyist

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I'm trying to stock a new 55 gallon aquarium. I started out with 7 skunk corydoras, then 2 weeks later I added 2 Bolivian rams. I recently added 7 Congo tetras. All fish are healthy and doing well.

What can I add to this tank. I'd honestly like to add some more vibrant colors to the tank. I'm open to anything. I have 3 LPS in my city (PetSmart, Petco, and a smaller shop called Nature's Emporium. The PetSmart has a pretty good selection of healthy fish (I got the rams there), and the Nature's Emporium will order pretty much anything for me (I special-ordered the Congos).

So, give me some ideas folks! I'm ready to make this an awesome tank!

-55 gallon cycled
    -2 AquaClear 50 HOB filters with Seacham Purigen media
    -30% water changes twice a week (can be modified)

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum.

Seems you've got a good selection already but if your looking for a second group of schooling fish get 10 Columbian tetras or 10 Diamond tetras, they both get a little bigger than most tetras and will be able to compete with your Congo's.

Emperor tetras are a bigger tetra that don't school as well as the other two I mentioned but like the company of there own kind, so you could get 8 of these.

Black Ruby barbs would also work if your not staying with South American fish, a group of 10-12 would look nice.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm digging the Columbian tetras. They could be my next purchase.

What about a nice centerpiece/showpiece fish? I tried a dwarf gourami about a week ago. That lasted 2 hours; my rams were not pleased with their new tankmate so back it went to PetCo. Angelfish are most likely out with my Congo (and potentially Columbian) tetra since they have the potential to be nippy.

I'd like to get some electric blue rams as well, but that's on down the line once my tank has truly settled in, so that has to be considered as well.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I would not be afraid of an angel with Colombian tetras. I have Colombians (love them) and I've never seen even an instance where they have been nippy. they tend to stay with each other and ignore the other fish
    A gold sev would also be a nice choice. Vibrant color and very mellow. I have one with my congos and again, I've never seen any nipping or interacting between them. Others have experienced issues with congos nipping so it must depend on the fish. You could try it, watch carefully and if you see trouble brewing, take it back.
    you must post photos

BTW - how did you cycle your tank?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nicky_plat View Post
    I'm trying to stock a new 55 gallon aquarium. I started out with 7 skunk corydoras, then 2 weeks later I added 2 Bolivian rams. I recently added 7 Congo tetras. All fish are healthy and doing well.
    Here's what I would do. I'd add to your Congo shoal and bring the total to 12. I'd add a second shoal of 10-12 columbian tetra. I'd add 3 more skunk cory. Leave it there. I would not add an angel fish with bolivian rams in the tank as it's a bit risky.

At least up your shoal of congos and here's why. The larger the shoal, the more they will tend to stay to themselves and leave others in the tank alone.

< This is what my advice is worth.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Here's what I would do. I'd add to your Congo shoal and bring the total to 12. I'd add a second shoal of 10-12 columbian tetra. I'd add 3 more skunk cory. Leave it there. I would not add an angel fish with bolivian rams in the tank as it's a bit risky.

At least up your shoal of congos and here's why. The larger the shoal, the more they will tend to stay to themselves and leave others in the tank alone.
    Another good suggestion. I have congos and columbians together and they sometimes even school together. both are great fish.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I would not be afraid of an angel with Colombian tetras. I have Colombians (love them) and I've never seen even an instance where they have been nippy. they tend to stay with each other and ignore the other fish
    A gold sev would also be a nice choice. Vibrant color and very mellow. I have one with my congos and again, I've never seen any nipping or interacting between them. Others have experienced issues with congos nipping so it must depend on the fish. You could try it, watch carefully and if you see trouble brewing, take it back.
    you must post photos

BTW - how did you cycle your tank?

I took a bit of advice from here, some from there. Committed the cardinal sin, and cycled with fish. Used the skunks. Started with 6, then added another that needed a home 2 weeks in. I cheated and added Prime/Stress Zyme when I did my water changes to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite, so the levels spiked but weren't lethal. After 2 weeks my ammonia spiked/leveled, then during the 3rd week my nitrite spiked/leveled. Both now at 0 and nitrates are 10 pretty consistently.

I'm 2 months in now and no fish lost, but a dwarf gourami and kribensis have come and gone back to the pet store The gourami didn't agree with the rams, and the krib immediately attacked the Congos when I put them in. I liked the krib, but I paid $7 each for those Congos and he wasn't about to stress or chase them to death.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

< This is what my advice is worth.

I haven't had any real problems with the congos. They occasionally chase one of the corys, but only when the corys swim up higher in the tank doing cory-like things, and it only lasts a second or 2. Nothing that worries me.

I'm liking this idea more and more

9. Wink

0 Not allowed!
    Good for you for keeping on top of things with your fish in cycle. Really - I'm surprised you didn't lose your skunks as bottom dwellers take the worst of the toxins during a fish in cycle. but it worked and you're good so keep at it.
    I'd keep up with those 30% 2Xwkly water changes. When you add new stock, you might want to up it a bit. After you're fully stocked and you're certain your cycle is stable, you could probably go to 50% weekly.
    I also noticed you said you had purigen for media. It's not really media (yes, BB will colonize on it), but you need the sponge and bio max that came with your AC's. I'm assuming you also use them.

Good job so far. Keep it up.
    We need photos, btw :o) We all love photos

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Good for you for keeping on top of things with your fish in cycle. Really - I'm surprised you didn't lose your skunks as bottom dwellers take the worst of the toxins during a fish in cycle. but it worked and you're good so keep at it.
    I'd keep up with those 30% 2Xwkly water changes. When you add new stock, you might want to up it a bit. After you're fully stocked and you're certain your cycle is stable, you could probably go to 50% weekly.
    I also noticed you said you had purigen for media. It's not really media (yes, BB will colonize on it), but you need the sponge and bio max that came with your AC's. I'm assuming you also use them.

Good job so far. Keep it up.
    We need photos, btw :o) We all love photos

Sorry, newb speak!

I use the Biomax that came with the filters for biological filtration, the Purigen for my chemical, and the provided sponges for mechanical. I was considering getting a canister filter, but those 2 HOBs are doing good work for me right now.

Lugging around 5 gallon buckets wasn't any fun. I quickly invested in a Python. I don't mind water changes at all now :)