· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So if I were to get boesemani rainbow fish, I would need to get at least 8? I'm concerned that might put me overstocked, but then again, maybe not.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    8-10 would be fine, 80g is a pretty big tank.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    8-10 would be fine, 80g is a pretty big tank.
    Thanks, I'll probably be looking at going and getting some this afternoon!

Also, I had another question that is a bit off topic. But I have two light fixtures for my tank that can both hold 40w light bulbs. I was looking at buying some bulk plants off of aquabid. Is that enough wattage (80 w total) to grow most plants?

Any recommendations on lighting for a planted tank would be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonkyTheDonkey View Post
    Thanks, I'll probably be looking at going and getting some this afternoon!

Also, I had another question that is a bit off topic. But I have two light fixtures for my tank that can both hold 40w light bulbs. I was looking at buying some bulk plants off of aquabid. Is that enough wattage (80 w total) to grow most plants?

Any recommendations on lighting for a planted tank would be greatly appreciated.
    If the fluorescent tubes are 40w, I will assume they are T8 and the tubes themselves are 48 inches in length. Correct me if this is inaccurate. Assuming it is correct, then yes, two "daylight" tubes will work very well. The newer T8 tubes are now 32w, but they give more light intensity than the older 40w, so that is nothing to worry about.

You can use the much less expensive tubes made by GE, Phillips or Sylvania when you have the 4-foot tubes and two of them. I've used these for many years now. I sort of prefer the GE, but I also have Phillips, they are much the same if not identical. By "daylight" I mean the ones with a Kelvin rating of 6500K. Yuo can get these in hardware or home improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, usually in packages of two tubes for a couple dollars. Just make sure they are 6500K.

This will be moderate light, and most aquarium plants will do fine. You will need to add liquid fertilizer to balance the light, we can discuss if you ask. "Carpet" type plants creating lawns and such may not do very well, and some stem plants. But you can still have a nicely planted tank, as the two attached photos of mine show.

90g Feb 24-12.jpg70g Mar 24-11 (1).jpg

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, thanks for the advice on that lighting, I'll probably order some bulk plant pack off of aqua bid soon then after i go get new bulbs tomorrow.

I ended up getting 2 baby black veil angel fish and 10 HY511 tetras today from my LFS. I'll be watching the angels for aggression and return them if need be. Can't wait to get my tank planted up and looking amazing like yours.

Also, I've heard some things about stirring up the sand every now and then to release toxic gases...how often does that need to be done?

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    A big for getting the HY511, alot like like Rosy's but a new fish, I've wanted to try them for some time but my tanks are full.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Tetra are nice, agree. But you have a problem with the angels. Angels are shoaling fish that need a group [exception is a mated bonded pair intended for spawning] because they will develop a social structure within the group. Never have 2 or 3 angels, as there is considerable risk there will be trouble, especially if two or three are males. The dominant will pick on the other(s) and death usually results.

So, in your situation, I would either return them, or get three or four more for a total of five or six. At the juvenile stage it is impossible to sex them, except when they begin to develop their natural behaviours, by which time it will be too late if you have 2-4 only.

On the plant package, know what plant species it includes. As I mentioned previously, some will not fare well and no point wasting money. If you have names of the plants included, I would be happy to advise.

On the sand, no, stirring is not necessary in planted tanks. I never touch my substrates in most tanks, other than maybe going over the surface in one or two of them. Sand is a good substrate. I prefer play sand because it is not rough and no fish will have problems (some sands can be problematic with substrate fish), and plants grow well. You don't want it too deep; I have 3 inches overall in my 115g, and 2 or less in the others.

Byron.

Edit. FishFromFilly mentioned Malaysian Livebearing Snails, which I had forgotten to mention. Well worth getting. Thanks Filly. B.
    Last edited by Byron; 09-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Def would not stir up the sand...I only vacuum top maybe 1/2" of sand to get the gunk. If you're looking to aerate your sand, try trumpet snails? I started with 10 and probably have over 100 now (all very small). They hide during the day and then come to top of aquarium at night. If you ever think you have too much, go to tank at midnight or after lights have been off for 2 hours, and you can see them all chilling at the top. Simply scoop them out and feed to your loach tank! If you do a lot of water changes, the nitrates won't ever get too high so don't worry so much about getting poop out of planted tank. You'll do more harm than good usually (uprooting, damaging leaves, etc) - at least I did!

Good luck!

Oh - Love the candy cane tetras - red theme!!?? Haha
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps