· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking suggestions on partially stocked 80g

0 Not allowed!
    So I've got a partially stocked 80 g that's been fully fish-less cycled and has a sand substrate with artificial plants and real driftwood. My filtration is a Marineland HOT 250 (55g), and a Marineland Magnum 350 (100g)

My stocking is as follows.

Aqadviser shows me at 78% capacity but at 180% filtration.

15x Cardinal Tetra
    10x Red Eye Tetra
    7x Peppered Cory
    1x BN Pleco
    1x Dwarf Gourami
    1x Bolivian Ram

I've really had my eye some Boesemani Rainbows, I see they're community friendly fish but I'm not sure how many I CAN/want to get. What are you guys reccs on getting these boesemanis? Do they even need to be in a school?

Also I was looking for another more interesting/different schooling fish to get or perhaps just a single unique fish that would make my tank pop. I welcome any and all suggestions from the community.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Yes the Boesemani will need to be kept in a school of at least 8. You have the right size tank for them also but they like their water harder than the other species you are stocking, okay as long as your waters neutral. You will hear some different opinions on this.

Just my two cents worth.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to steeler!
    but if you are thinking of a single centerpiece fish, what about a pair of the larger type of gourami? Pearls are very peaceful pretty fish.
    You could also have a single angel (or a mated pair if you can find one) as long as they are fairly small they 'should' grow up okay with the cardinal tetras and not consider them as food - but that's always a role of the dice.
    Congo tetra or Colombian tetra might also be good choices. A nice sized school of 8 - 10 of either would be very pretty in that tank.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    All good suggestios that will work, though not together in some cases. Consider the activity level of fish when adding them to a community. What you have at the moment is sort of in the middle, but leaning to the sedate (non-active swimming) side.

Pearl gourami would fit into this nicely. But not with Rainbows for example. Congo Tetra would be good, and with the Pearls too, but not the Rainbows.

Water parameters would help us as steeler suggested. Selecting fish suited to your water is a lot easier and safer long-term. And fish will be healthier and less stressed in suitable parameters.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The rainbows are active while everyone else is pretty docile. Rather than adding another school of congos, columbians or rainbows, why not add some cool oddballs to the mix? Instead of yet another school, add a cool dwarf pleco(s), whiptail/farowella catfish. You already have a bolivian ram but you could add other dwarf ciclihds like krib, GBR, apistos. Gourami is cool too! Rainbows typically like higher PH while the fish u have now like neutral. I'm sure all fish would acclimate but food for thought...might be best to stay with neutral fish. Angel would be very cool too just make sure cardinals are large enough if u get an adult or they may become fish food!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll measure all the PH levels etc...in the tank tomorrow morning after I'm off work and post them. I like the idea of oddballs too. I've like the look of several loach species like horse faces. I've had farowellas in the past, but they're pretty docile. I'm in Houston so I should probably be able to find some of those oddball species.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonkyTheDonkey View Post
    I'll measure all the PH levels etc...in the tank tomorrow morning after I'm off work and post them. I like the idea of oddballs too. I've like the look of several loach species like horse faces. I've had farowellas in the past, but they're pretty docile. I'm in Houston so I should probably be able to find some of those oddball species.
    Loaches are cool but most prefer to be in schools. A cool red fish (to fit in theme with cardinals and red eyes?) is double red apisto agassizi
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...58&pcatid=1658

Also see cockatoo dwarf cichlid
    http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogr...acatuoides.php

Usually have to buy a pair and could cost 45 to 50. Worth it though!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't even realize I was going for a red theme! I guess it looks that way. Those cockatoo dwarf cichilids look amazing though, I've never even heard of those guys.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonkyTheDonkey View Post
    I didn't even realize I was going for a red theme! I guess it looks that way. Those cockatoo dwarf cichilids look amazing though, I've never even heard of those guys.
    Haha...well that's why I added a question mark! The cockatoo ones are very cool. Check out aquabid if you can't get from lfs. The mega red and orange are very attractive
    http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...n.cgi?fwapisto

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is a double red agassizi on aquabid too...looks nice

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sto&1379716493