· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I will go and find that section of the other thread. I did some skimming through the middle of that one 0_o

I had thought that the main advantage of fishless cycling was managing the cycle without the fish, and hadn't really thought about it having to have a big load of fish put in all at once ( i realized you could, but not that you kind of had to). Hmmm... Well tank one has been overstocked, but healthy since June. It can go a little longer while we figure out tankmates for the transfers.

Is this tank big enough to have two smallish tetra schools? Looks like we might be moving the pristellas from the small tank, but I would like to pick out something to go with them if we can have two schools.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GobleWarming View Post
    Thanks! I will go and find that section of the other thread. I did some skimming through the middle of that one 0_o

I had thought that the main advantage of fishless cycling was managing the cycle without the fish, and hadn't really thought about it having to have a big load of fish put in all at once ( i realized you could, but not that you kind of had to).
    Yes, an advantage is also not stressing the fish during cycling. You don't have to stock all at once, but you can if you want to. If you don't, you just have to add the rest of your fish slowly so the BB can grow to handle the new bioload.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to gronlaura's (always excellent) advice...My cycle took almost 3 weeks to the day in total...but when the trites dropped, they dropped quickly...I continued to dose 1/2 of my original 4ppm of ammonia (started with 6 ml, continued with 3ml daily after trites were gone)for another week until I knew I would have fish, and then quit dosing the night before they arrived (today)

To me, the BEST thing about fishless cycling is that no fish are harmed or stressed during the process....depending on your filter size, you can grow enough BB in the meantime to host more fish than you were even thinking about keeping
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia and nitrites are both down to 0 again today! I guess we're there :)

Our aponogeton has sent up a shoot like it is getting ready to flower... Lots to see even without fish :)

It will be at least a week before fish move in, ( and maybe more, I am still not sure what we're looking for altogether) so the plan is to keep dosing with ammonia ( 1ppm/day?) until we get fish. Should we do a water change early in the week next week just to dump some of the nitrates? Or wait until the day before fish and do a mega one?

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Everything is still looking like we are good to go with the cycle, but it will likely be next weekend before we get fish.

Should I do a pwc now to start getting the nitrates down in preparation?

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Everything is still looking like we are good to go with the cycle, but it will likely be next weekend before we get fish.

Should I do a pwc now to start getting the nitrates down in preparation?
    A PWC would do no harm, I'd do one if I were you..gives you a chance to do a little cleaning (if needed) or re-arranging your scape with the water level down a bit....just keep dosing ammonia like you've been doing...I was dosing up to 2 ppm until the day before I put fish in....

Great job on the tank, your hard work is gonna pay off sweetly!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, slap! I will def keep on dosing the ammonia. We went out of town for the weekend and I was having a giggle over the list for the friend petwatcng for us. Feed the dog, feed the cat, feed the fish in nomi's room, feed the bacteria colony...

So... The beginning of a stock list
    Pristella tetras
    1 male swordtail
    ( they are like the littlest bear... Crowded... Rollover... So they get to move

Starting to think 1 bolivian ram ( I am not set up to breed fish ... ATM)

Looking at flame tetras to go with the pristellas, but also browsing other varieties. If anyone has a favorite that I might not have seen in my limited petsmart/lfs browsing PLEASE feel free to suggest more for me to browse!

I would really like corys but was advised against when I was planning a pair of rams. Would dropping to one make any diffence? Or would a small herd of corys still be too much for a ram to tolerate?

If no corys, then I would like to add a bristle nosed pleco. I love the look of the starlight (L182) but have seen its max size listed anywhere from 5 to 10 inches. Um, that's a big variation... ? What is it really? I like the look of many of them, but am leaning toward a darker one to show up against the sand.

I am running around in circles with fish choices, but I hear that's pretty normal.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In a lot of respects this has been a "please may I have a do over?" kind of day, but I came home to 4 aponogeton flowers from the two plants we grew from bulbs.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    The flowers are up under the light on the top of the water, but the plants look nice too!

And the lily leaves (also grown from bulbs) are starting to spread and show some nice color.
    image.jpg

AND the tank held its cycle through our camping trip with someone else feeding it and we can possibly get some fish in there this weekend.

I'll take it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally! There are some feesh in there :)

image.jpg

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Finally! There are some feesh in there :)

image.jpg
    looking good! I recognize those gold pristella tetras!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"