· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Woohoo! Nitrites this morning!! .5 ppm

Todays plan is a substrate swap, a new hood, rocks, and some more plants.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Step one... New bones.

image.jpg

Plants and lights later.

I am not sure what this did to my cycle, but we knew that the substrate needed changing. The ammonia was 2ppm this morning and the nitrites were .5ppm. We had to do almost a 100% water change after scooping out the old substrate-it made a ginormous mess of brown water. So I made sure the water that went back in was at 2ppm ammonia. We tried to keep the driftwood and filters nice and wet, and didn't wipe down or rinse the inside of the tank (which means that some of the mud and bits of old substrate a under the sand and will probably work their way up eventually) so hopefully we didn't have a bacterial annihilation. We also cleaned tank one and added more mulm and filter swish to the new tank.

The fish I am researching and thinking of are:

A pair of bolivian rams
    One dwarf gourami ( reading varying opinions as to whether or not that will work. Please weigh in!)
    Either a few khuli loaches or a small herd of cories
    Some schooling fish ( undecided as of yet, but I like rummynoses and cardinals and have looked at some of the danios-celestial pearl a beautiful!)
    Or Maybe some rainbow fish (do we have enough room for a small school of dwarves? Maybe some threadfins?)
    One male swordtail ( um, because we have two males in a small tank and they are starting to pick at each other ... Newb fail, I know)

:D

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GobleWarming View Post
    Step one... New bones.

A pair of bolivian rams
    One dwarf gourami ( reading varying opinions as to whether or not that will work. Please weigh in!)
    Either a few khuli loaches or a small herd of cories
    Some schooling fish ( undecided as of yet, but I like rummynoses and cardinals and have looked at some of the danios-celestial pearl a beautiful!)
    Or Maybe some rainbow fish (do we have enough room for a small school of dwarves? Maybe some threadfins?)
    One male swordtail ( um, because we have two males in a small tank and they are starting to pick at each other ... Newb fail, I know)
    :D
    The tank looks great! Believe me, it was worth the effort and I don't think cycling will be affected that much..so what if it is. It'll still cycle.

I think you've got a great start on a successful stocking plan as well, just don't rush into it. Here's what I would stock if this were my tank.

South American:
    A pair of bolivian rams. Do you know what you'll do if and when fry arrive?
    A nice school of cardinal tetra or rummynose tetra. I wouldn't do both. I don't think your tank is long enough.

Asian:
    IMHO, CPDs do best with a tank of their own and so do threadfins. That's just my opinion.

Or

Dwarf gourami, khuli loaches, school of black ruby barbs.

I don't believe your tank is of sufficient length to do dwarf rainbows.
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-21-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I like the new look much better :)

Um, other than "feed them very small food" I am not sure what to do about ram fry. However, i am still a little sketchy on the actual acquisition of a pair of rams. I plan to go stare into my lfs tanks to see if I can figure it out. O_o so readingreading on both of those things. ( and, of course, begging for hints!)

I only want one schooling fish type.... I just don't know what kind. I have been reading more about danios in general and they will like lower ph and temps than we are able to easily manage half the year. Barbs like lower ph too. Cardinal tetras, black skirt tetras, or red minor serpae tetra all seem to fit right into our water parameters ( although we still ned to get a kh/gh test kit) and there are pristellas in tank 1. I am not attached to tetras, but i don't think i want anything else that will be breeding!

Can I put one dwarf gourami in with rams? What about cories? Would a bristlenose pleco be ok? I am reading that the khuli loaches actually need a larger min. Tank size... Which is kind of a bummer, because they are neat.

No worries... I am not hurrying. I still have to figure out what plants, decide on the LED lights, and figure out fish and then which need to move in first. I have plenty to keep me busy!

2 Not allowed!
    You might want to reconsider stocking just a single ram, maybe a male? I think the ram would consider the bottom portion of your tank as his. Let him own it. I wouldn't add any other bottom dwellers and that includes cories or loaches.

I wouldn't keep a dwarf gourami and bolivian rams in this size tank. Territory\aggression\stress issues might develop.

If pH, kh\gh are suitable for tetra, then barbs will do fine as well. The tank is large enough for a single bristle nose pleco.

Think of your tank as dwelling levels or layers for the fish. Cories, rams, and khulis probably won't do well inhabiting the lower level of you tank all at once, it's just to crowded. The middle and upper portions of the tank belong to the tetra, barbs or other schoolers as they do well in larger numbers of 10-12 or more per shoal.

A bit of research and asking questions here on the forum will lead to a successfully planned, well stocked and healthy tank.

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Pangio_kuhlii
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-22-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Love the new aquascaping.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - right now a QT, future Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys!

I don't think I had truly realized how much the rams would claim the substrate area, but the cories and the loaches were an either or. Now the plan is for the one bn pleco and the ram(s?). The top will have a swordtaill and... ? But nothing for a few weeks more.

Meanwhile, nitrites!! *happydance*

Although, my ammonia levels seem to be holding steady at 2ppm... Or maybe between 1 and 2. Both times we bumped the ammonia up to 4 it halved in 24ish hours, and after that it sits at 2 for days. Normal?

Bulbs are sprouting too... Anyone here had experience with the liveaquaria plant assortments? I am thinking of placing an order with them.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And just like that-KABAM! Nitrites are off the charts, ammonia dropped to .5ppm, and we have nitrates too-80ppm (this is the first test we have done for those, so I don't know if they have been hovering for a day or two).

Cha cha cha....

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Holey buckets, Batman! When this cycling stuff takes off it goes gonzo! Last night I bumped up the ammonia back up to 4ppm ( based on the cycling instructions I am using). Less than 24 hours later the ammonia is reading 0 and the nitrites and nitrates are both off the chart!

Wheeeee!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And all the little bulbs are sprouting!
    image.jpg