· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GobleWarming View Post
    Imma24 and fishmommie, thanks for the responses! I have gotten conflicting info regarding allowing ammonia to drop to 0 during a fishless cycle. More than half the tutorials I read say you must never let it get to 0 unless you are ready to add fish within hours and at least one suggest that that is one of the potential pitfalls of fishless cycling- that the tank can be cycled and ready, but the ammonia is allowed to drop to 0 and fish aren't added quickly enough and the whole thing crashes because the bacteria starve. Meanwhile you think you have a cycled tank. What is your reasoning behind allowing it to drop to 0 before adding again?

In order to have nitrites, the ammonia has to be eaten and converted by the BB. When you have 0 ammonia and are showing nitrites, that is what is happening and you dose to 2 ppm. Then wait until the ammonia is 0 and dose again to 2 ppm (only dose once every 24 hrs). When the nitrites reach 0, the BB are converting it to nitrates. When you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and are showing nitrates, your tank is cycled. Do a big PWC and stock your tank right away. Or if not ready to stock, just keep the cycle going (see below). If you don't wait till the BB eat and convert the ammonia and nitrites, your tank won't cycle as you will always be overloading the BB with ammonia. You can't stock your tank if it has an ammonia reading.

I just tested again and my ammonia has dropped again to 2ppm -within 24 hours this time. Nitrites are still at 0.

Wait until your ammonia is at 0 before dosing again.

When your tank is cycled, you can keep the cycle going this way until you are ready to stock your tank. Wait till ammonia is 0, dose to 2 ppm. When your tank is cycled, every 24 hours the BB will convert the ammonia and nitrites and you will read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites. With 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and a nitrate reading, dose back to 2 ppm ammonia every 24 hrs to keep the cycle going.
    My reply above. Be patient, you will get there. Then you can stock your tank all at once.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 09-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I am NOT in a hurry at all! I don't think I can afford to stock my tank all at once, so the cycling process can take all the time it wants to. :)

Isn't the ammonia in the beginning stages of being converted? Or is it simply being absorbed by my java moss? I realize that there are no nitrites present yet, but the amonia is halving every 24 ish hours. I have just read that letting the ammonia reach 0 has the potential to starve your bacteria, and also read that ammonia has to be in the range of 8-10ppm to interfere with the nitrification process. I am just trying to get a handle on why it is important for ammonia levels to reach all the way to 0 before you bring them up again.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good news, good news, bad news....

The ammonia is down to 1ppm, the bulbs that were pushed in on Sun. ( forgot about those in my description) are starting to sprout....

And we have totally wrong substrate for the first kind of fish we want. :(

Still better to find that out now, and a good thing pool filter sand is cheap. We fixated on the fact that Bolivian rams like a heavily planted tank and brought home floramax as a substrate. That is what I get for reading too specifically. So, tank is mid cycle. I am assuming it is better to change it over asap before the cycle is finished. After all, we are trying to grow bacteria on the substrate too, and the bulbs don't need to settle into this only to get changed over. But how will that affect the process? Slow it down? Bung it up? Force it to start over?

Whatever the case we will be adding another gleaning of water change and mulm from the tank one clean out on Saturday.

I am starting to wake up having dreamt about fish tanks. 0_o

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    image.jpg

Here is a pic of the very bare bones. I figure it will be fun to see it change :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ? ?

That is weird... Upside down picture :(

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GobleWarming View Post
    ? ?

That is weird... Upside down picture :(
    Thought that was one of those new tanks where the substrate is on top........LOL!!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Thought that was one of those new tanks where the substrate is on top........LOL!!
    Isn't that where it's supposed to go?

If you're going to change out the substrate, it's better to do it now before there are fish in the tank. Keep your filter media wet and the bacteria will survive in it for a couple of days. And if this were my tank, I'd use a sand substrate.
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-19-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I understand your questions about different sources giving different instructions on fishless cycling. I only know what works and the fishless cycle instructions in my sig line work perfectly. I cycled a 90 gallon tank in 21 days following the directions to the letter. i only redosed ammonia when nitrites appeared and ammonia was 0 then only dosed 1/2 of the original dose. Then I only dosed every 24 hours provided i still had nitrites and ammonia had again dropped to 0.
    once your cycle is complete (0 nitrites and ammonia) yes, you must feed the tank some ammonia if you don't stock it right away or the cycle will be lost.
    Good luck with what ever instructions you chose to follow but I'd pick one and stay there :o).
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It was less a question of why different sources give different recommendations ( hehe, this is the internet and home to dozens of different plans 0_o *eyes crossing*) than one about specifically why you suggest letting ammonia drop all the way to 0. No worries, ammonia has pretty much been sitting still at 2 ppm since the second drop (thought it had gone down to 1, but I am now thinking that was user error). Still no nitrites, and I am actually relieved that things aren't galloping away like I thought at first. I will stick to one plan henceforth, but do have questions still about when to change out the "ohcrapwrongtype" substrate.

Should we do that now before building anymore nice bacteria in there?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Whoops! Looks like Taurus answered that. Ok... I will change substrate tomorrow and then toss in another round of mulm and changewater from tank one.

I apparently have one of those newfangled tanks where substrate DOES go on top....( aka, dratted ipad... I can't flip the picture over).