· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Wink 17 Gallon Tank Set-Up and Stocking

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I am a college student with some experience having fish (I have a backyard pond). I will be moving into my house and I have an extra 17 gallon tank lying around. I have been doing a lot of research and I would like to have a combination of dwarf african frog, panda corys (or another type of smaller cory), dwarf guorami (as my centerpiece) and a school of tetras (any type you would recommend).
    I was wondering if A) these fish are compatible B) How many of each.

Also- are there any snails/shrimp that could be added that will reproduce rapidly.

Tank set-up:
    What spaces are needed for the frogs.
    Specific kind of live plants that are good.
    Lighting needed.
    What filter for this tank I should get
    Wattage for heater
    Kind of food for each.

Sorry for all of the questions, but thank you for your time and help.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    First, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Add nothing until your tank is fully cycled, since all of those animals are sensitive to ammonia/ poor conditions. Also, is it a 17g tall or long? What specific dimensions? You need a lot of area on the bottom for most of those species...in fact, you might have to cut down your list. Here is what I would do:

Change the dwarf gourami to a honey gourami...they are more peaceful and less prone to disease. ONE would be fine.

School of tetras, yes. Smaller ones, like neons, glowlights, black phantoms, etc would be fine. Minimum school of 6.

Panda cories are possible, but they might be a little cramped depending on your dimensions. Not recommended, but if you really want them, 6 as a minimum.

I would personally go with red cherry shrimp over snails. They will clean algae (when you get some) and reproduce readily. They may be snacks for your other fish when they are babies, but with a generous amount of java moss, it shouldn't be a problem. Also have a small bio-load. Snails, depending on the type, are either escape artists, or limit your possibilities for live plants later.

Frogs are cute, but have a lot of specific needs. They need a way to access the surface to breathe. They aren't strong swimmers, so you need plants they can climb, and even then, the tank can't be too deep or they will get exhausted and stressed. They also usually need to be trained to eat in a certain spot, or from tweezers. They will starve otherwise (will not eat flakes). I have not found them to be easy to care for (but possible) in a mixed species tank. They will nip at fins if hungry enough, or their toes can be snacks for aggressive fish. Not sure how they get along with shrimp.

Either way you go, you should chose only one or two bottom dwellers:
    Shrimp
    Snails
    frogs
    cories
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would do a fishless cycle this explains it and why it's much better than adding a poor goldfish or god help ya corys to an uncycled tank.

http://www.myfishtank.net/articles/fishless-cycle/

You could def. do a single small mild mannered gourami, 6-10 tetras if you get smaller ones, 6 panda corys, and possibly a frog MAYBE 2 I'm no expert about african dwarfs but it could work; anyway if you overstock which is what I did do it slowly add 1 type of fish at a time and let your filter bacteria catch up even after it's cycled (also monitor ammonia nitrite and nitrates as mentioned previously by Azure) you may need to change the water even more at first and get good filtration look at my fish and tank I have to turn the water over x20 times an hour and do 2 50% water changes a week or I will have nitrate spikes and eventually dead fish.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 01-09-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.