· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Hello from Yuma, AZ

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I recently started a 20-gallon about 6 weeks ago after being out of the hobby for years. So much has changed and I'm trying to learn all that I can before diving back into the passion that I once had and now have time to pursue again.

I'm trying to resolve a small algae bloom which started as brown, now green. I think I'm on the upper end of it but I ran a test which concerns me still, even after doing regular water changes:

1. Nitrate: 10
    2. Nitrite: 3
    3. PH: 8.0
    4. KH (Carbonate): 180-190
    5. General Hardness: 120

Living in the deep Southwest, the hardness doesn't surprise me. I bought a couple of plants today and will up the water changes. They always seem like they're starving to death but obviously I need to cut down on the feeding.

I have 9 Rasbora's as the pet store said they were good for cycling; they've been in there about five weeks. They haven't fussed much with the whole new tank syndrome but I want the Nitrate/Nitrite down to nothing, right?

I'm told with our hard water (unless I reverse osmosis), not to fuss with anything but Cichlids when I buy a larger tank but the Rasbora's at least don't seem to mind the hard water. I'm not sold on the idea that other types of fish won't do well with our water and have read various opinions.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to reading more and getting to know some of you. Please feel free to add your thoughts if you have any :)

Brandon

0 Not allowed!
    Hello , welcome aboard. I hope you will enjoy the forum.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the AC . have fun and enjoy.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For its medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC!

I am still learning here but you are correct that you want ammonia and nitrites at zero when your cycle is complete. For nitrAtes, anything below 20 ppm is ok, so you are good there. The only way to reduce nitrAtes is through water changes, so you need to do a water change anytime they are above 20 ppm or so. Most people here, I believe, accomplish this through weekly water changes of anywhere from 20% to 50% or so.

You did not mention ammonia levels. Have you tested for them?

Since you are cycling your tank with fish in it, you should try to keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.5 ppm at all times until your cycle is established by doing frequent water changes. They are both toxic to fish, and dangerous at levels about 0.5ppm or so. You said nitrites are at 3ppm, which is very high for your fish! You should do a few water changes until you get that down. I will let others with more knowledge decide how much to change and when to change it to get there, but I would perhaps start with a 50% change right away to get those nitrites down as soon as possible and avoid losing any fish.

The live plants you bought today will help will all three: ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, so you will see an improvement just from having them in there.

Unfortunately i have nothing to contribute in regards to the algae, so i will let others chime in on that one.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above...those fish aren't going to live long in those conditions...what kind of test kit are you using?....we need to know your ammonia levels, I'm betting they are through the roof...if that nitrIte level is correct, you need to do a 80-85% water change right now

Also please read and follow the cycling with fish sticky, located here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 09-06-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome aboard the AC.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    welcomewave.gif to the AC!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I am aging water now to do a big water exchange tomorrow, though I figured between 20-30%, perhaps by reading I need to do more. I found a dead fish from the first week I had the tank that I couldn't ever find; the corpse was down beneath a plastic plant that I couldn't see.

I scraped a good deal of the algae off last night and the water has cleared quite a bit.

I just tested again and the strip reads as follows:

1. Nitrate=0
    2. Nitrite= 3
    3. PH=8.0
    4. KH=240
    5. GH=180

The only thing that came down was Nitrate to nothing, and it seems the water became more hard. Water chemistry is definitely a science that's going to take some more learning on my part.

I am using the API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips and doesn't have a mark for Ammonia, just Nitrate/Nitrite. This was the best that Petsmart offered which is basically the only game for aquarists in our little city.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll increase to two water changes a week until the chemistry comes into check. The water is clear and the fish are healthy so I'm scratching my head.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandflake View Post
    I just tested again and the strip reads as follows:

1. Nitrate=0
    2. Nitrite= 3
    3. PH=8.0
    4. KH=240
    5. GH=180

The only thing that came down was Nitrate to nothing, and it seems the water became more hard. Water chemistry is definitely a science that's going to take some more learning on my part.

I am using the API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips and doesn't have a mark for Ammonia, just Nitrate/Nitrite. This was the best that Petsmart offered which is basically the only game for aquarists in our little city.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll increase to two water changes a week until the chemistry comes into check. The water is clear and the fish are healthy so I'm scratching my head.
    Welcome back to the hobby! A lot has changed to be certain. We know a lot more now than we used to and are learning every day.

So here's the truth of your situation. Test strips aren't accurate. The first and most vital purchase you can make is for the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is a liquid kit and it's really going to give you the right answers for your values. You can find this for a resonable price on Amazon with Prime shipping. You need to get an ammonia reading asap.

The second purchase I would recommend is a bottle of Seachem Prime. This is the most popular dechlorinator. In addition to removing chlorine and chloramines from your water, this is going to help to detoxify the Ammonia that is most certainly high in your tank and reduce its harmful effects on your fish. Prime is sold at my local petsmart, but if it's not at yours you can also get it on Amazon.

The reality of the situation is that you are going to probably need to do daily (or every other day) water changes between 50 and 80% on your tank until it's cycled. Cycling with fish is very hard on them and it's crucial to keep those numbers under .25 the whole time. Because you are intentionally lowering the ammonia and nitrite in your tank through water changes, cycling with fish in the tank is also going to be a longer process.

The way you decide the size of your water change is by running a test. For example, if you have 1 ppm of ammonia or nitrite, you need to change 75% of your water to reduce it to .25 ppm. If you have larger values like 3.0 you could do multiple back to back water changes, each time diluting that concentration until it's under .25.

The other option you do have to save yourself so many water changes is to return the fish you have and do a fishless cycle (see sticky in the cycling forum). This will be a lot less stress on you and the fish.

You can start a thread in the cycling forum or the beginner section with all of the information on your tank and keep updating it with test results and water change schedules so the forum members here can talk you through the process every step along the way.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress