· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Dwarf African Frog & Fiddler Crab

0 Not allowed!
    Alright guys, I have a question.. Oldest son school is doing a "pet" adoption and of course he picked something I knew nothing about... He picked that he wanted a Dwarf African Frog or Fiddler Crab. Now here's the question...

I have a 30 gallon tank that has some mollies, tets and a few platys. Would it be ok to put one of these "new" pets in that tank or should I setup a new tank?

I have a 3 gallon and a 10 gallon tank I could setup.. If I setup a new tank what needs to be done for these? He is only getting one...

Thanks...

0 Not allowed!
    Both creAtures will likely need a tank for themselves. The dwarf frog needs a shallow tank because it comes up to breathe every so often, and it also is an extremely uncompetitive feeder and won't do well with gluttons such as mollies and platies. The crab is amphibious, and when kept underwater permanently will drown. Therefore it needs a dry place to climb up on.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Both creAtures will likely need a tank for themselves. The dwarf frog needs a shallow tank because it comes up to breathe every so often, and it also is an extremely uncompetitive feeder and won't do well with gluttons such as mollies and platies. The crab is amphibious, and when kept underwater permanently will drown. Therefore it needs a dry place to climb up on.
    What size tank are you thinking? Will the 3 gallon be enough or should I break out the 10?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, he got word that he is getting the Dwarf African Frog. It doesn't come with a tank so I need to set one up. I have two tanks that aren't being used. a 3 gallon and a 10 gallon.. Which one would be better?

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    I would do the ten gallon that way you can keep it with more of its kind like 5 more if you wanted. I keep my ADF in an 8 gallon Fluval ebi tank that moderately is planted and it loves it. I keep him with 4 guppies, 4 oto cats, and a sparkling gourami. This tank is max out if not overstocked but it is filtered by a Eheim 2211 canister filter.

I think you are lucky to have a free 10 gallon for this guy they are pretty entertaining. Make sure to provide hiding place so they feel safe. Since you are doing a species only tank i suggest you just use a sponge filter. that will be more then enough and keep the water flow slow. Since you are only keeping ADF you don't have to worry about dropping the food right in front of their faces. They have a good sense of smell and will eventually find it. Make sure not to overfeed, water quality is very important to these guys. I feed mine freeze dried tubiflex worms, flakes, small sinking cichlid pellets, sinking shrimp food pellets and sometimes, live black worms and brine shrimp. Make sure to keep a lid on the top or they might jump out. One more thing, make sure both front and back legs are webbed. Otherwise it is not an ADF but an African clawed frog. Big difference.
    Roll the Dice!

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I cleaned the 10 gallon tonight. And working on setting it up. I have everything for it but some gravel and plants. I'll be going tomorrow to get those and start getting the water ready. If he does good I'll buy more to keep him company.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMG_20130917_205923_351.jpg

New tank is setup and waiting on its new owner to show up!