· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    If you're prepared to do daily 100% water changes in your 10 gallon tank for the next year to keep it from stunting, you can try.....If not, I'd advise you don't attempt to put the paradise in a 10 gallon. It will prefer a tank that is long horizontally as opposed vertically.

I wonder how many of those people have kept it for a good 2-3 years in those 10 gallons with it growing to its maximum potential.

Paradise fish are predatory by nature and an adult will surely look at your dwarf frog and get curious and start picking at it.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well it looks like the Elephant ear betta is my only option .so thanks for the help people.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    Oh trust me i am not going to dismiss miss it but I know that i am a beginner to the fish but if you could just look at a few online i think you will understand . What do you mean by stunning the fish
    This pinpoints one of the problems with the internet. Anyone can post information and usually there is no peer review. A major benefit of ellucidating information from this forum is that anything one of us says is going to be subject to scrutiny by everyone else. In the scientfici world, this happens all the time; scientists can publish papers and other scientists can agree or disagree, and the end result is that we come to the actual truth and go forward from there.

I always caution others to consider the source of the information before accepting it as absolute. This takes considerable experience, I admit; there are sites on the internet that I absolutely rely on for information. On my previous forum I authored over 250 fish and plant profiles, by researching reliable scientific data. Though it is not really surprising, one fact that emerged was how consistently the knowledgeable sources agree. Such information has been tested and can be accepted as reliable.

Another point. The TV program Tanked is popular with some aquarists. I remember a microbiologist friend of mine once lamenting how completely erroneous and inaccurate a lot of the information given on that program actually is. She pointed out that they advocate some pretty far-out ideas on keeping fish, but if you follow the program you will see that never do they come back to these weeks and months later, to show what really happens. This is the case with much of the un-proven information that one can read on the internet.

This is very confusing to beginning hobbyists, but those who participate in forums like AC have a real advantage. And knowledge is the key to success in maintaining a healthy aquarium. We are dealing with science, and one has to be prepared to understand the basics.

To define stunting, as best as I can. The fish is prevented from growing normally with respect to its outward physical size, but the internal organ development continues, or attempts to, regardless. The result is that the fish becomes deformed in one or more respects; internal organs may not develop properly and thus not function as they need to, or the spine can become malformed, etc. Several factors can cause this stunting. Inadequate physical space, poor water conditions, and stress which can occur from almost anything. The wrong tank size, inadequate water changes, the wrong combination of fish species together, poor diet, lack of suitable aquascape for the fish's needs, etc. Here is an article that may put this in perspective; this is written by Matt Ford who is a biologist and I am happy to say an acquaintance.
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted...stunted-lives/

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tried keeping ADFs with a betta. I had been warned to look out for the betta attacking the frogs, but was fully confident that my betta was friendly. So anyway, he swam over to have a look at these frogs and suddenly one of the ADFs had the betta's tail in its mouth the betta reacted and, long story short, one dead frog and one injured betta.

IMO ADFs do not have eyesight good enough to tell the fins of a betta from the wriggling worms they eat, and bettas can, and may, kill frogs. Bettas also can and will eat shrimp. I would recommend putting your energy into aquascaping and get either a betta OR frogs, but not both.