· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Paradise Fish or elephant ear betta

0 Not allowed!
    Hey every one i was looking back at my 10 gallon.I thought I wanted a community tank but their are 2 fish that i want to have and i am having a hard time choosing between the 2 the first fish is the male elephant ear betta Big E.jpg and the second is the male paradise fish big pf.jpg and for tank mates i was going to get some cory catfish and a Africa dwarf frog maybe 2 .so which looks like it would be better in the tank.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Paradise fish get too large for a 10g and require more swimming space.

IMO, cories are also not suitable for a 10g tank. Even the dwarf species appreciate more swimming space than the footprint of a 10g allows. They are sensitive to water parameters as well. Additionally, bettas tend to bully corydoras and steal their food. Plus, most corydora species need much cooler water than betta splendens.

If it were me, I'd do a single betta and focus on aquascaping to make the tank look more "full." Bettas like a lot of plaint cover... floating plants are good to encourage them to swim around rather than hide. Smooth edged driftwood that leeches tannins into the water will also be appreciated by your betta. A heater is a must and remember to have a filter where the flow can be turned way down. Halfmoons in particular do not like a lot of current. Theymaintain those also require near perfect water to maintain those beautiful fins. They are prone to fin rot and may start tailbiting if stressed.

Not sure about bettas and frogs because I've never kept frogs. You could consider Nerite snails as tankmates for the betta.

Good Luck!
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so it looks like the paradise fish is eliminated. The aquascap idea does sound really good but what about shrimp as tankmates . Oh and what other fish similar to the betta can live in a 10 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. the paradise fish also want a lot colder water than the other species you mention.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    Ok so it looks like the paradise fish is eliminated. The aquascap idea does sound really good but what about shrimp as tankmates . Oh and what other fish similar to the betta can live in a 10 gallon tank
    Assuming you mean "similar" and not "with" the Betta, there are many fish suited to a 10g. The many "nano" type fish. Some if not most of these will be wild caught, so your water parameters will decide which may or may not work.

Betta really are not community fish, so having a male Betta should be seen as the only fish in the tank. Substrate fish can sometimes work, but no other upper level fish.

Byron.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay so I guess I am looking for in labyrinth fish can live in a 10 gallon fish tank besides the betta

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    okay so I guess I am looking for in labyrinth fish can live in a 10 gallon fish tank besides the betta
    There are several anabantids (labyrinth fish are in the anabantid group) suitable for a 10g (again, not with a Betta). One often available is the pygmy sparkling gourami, Trichopsis pumila, which is quite hardy compared to most of these small gourami. You could have a group of 3-5 in a planted 10g (must have floating plants for all anabantids). The licorice gourami, Parosphromenus deissneri, is another, though this species can be sensitive and delicate. The Parasphaerichthys ocellatus is yet another, though not that commonly seen. All of these need soft water, and on the acidic side. And good companions are the "dwarf" rasbora species in Boraras, like Borartas brigittae, B. maculatus, B. urophthalmoides, etc. These are seen from time to time. You could have 3-5 of one of the aforementined gourami, plus a group of 9-11 of one of the Boraras species.

Byron.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know you guys said that the paradise fish requires a bigger tank but I did some research and watch some YouTube videos and people tend to have the paradise fish in a ten gallon and have had it for a very long time and says it is healthy in is ten gallon oh another thing is I heard that they can also live in small aquarium such as a 10 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to offer a few thoughts
    1- not all the information that you will find on the Internet is good.
    2- the results of stunting a fish can take a long time to be apparent, even a few years
    3- the advice already posted in this thread are from credible people here with first hand experience. You may not want to dismiss it so easily.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    If you're prepared to do daily 100% water changes in your 10 gallon tank for the next year to keep it from stunting, you can try.....If not, I'd advise you don't attempt to put the paradise in a 10 gallon. It will prefer a tank that is long horizontally as opposed vertically.

I wonder how many of those people have kept it for a good 2-3 years in those 10 gallons with it growing to its maximum potential.

Paradise fish are predatory by nature and an adult will surely look at your dwarf frog and get curious and start picking at it.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.