· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 50 Litre stocking

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, new around here and kind of new to the hobby (I've kept fish before when I was young, but I must admit not very well). I recently got a 50 Litre (around 13 gallons?) tank for my birthday, it has a built in filter and lights etc. I'm now doing all the proper research before running out and buying a fish. The tank is going to be fairly well planted with Anubias, Java Fern & Crpyts etc. I was wondering if I could keep a single male Betta (most likely short fin) with a small school of neon tetra?

thanks in advance

0 Not allowed!
    Going to be a small school of 6, 7 fish most. But yes, unless your water is rock hard that's certainly an option

0 Not allowed!
    I almost always agree with talldutchie, but this time I would not advise this. There are two main problems. First, the Betta may well decide to eat the neons...I had a Betta many years ago who did. Second, most small fish like characins (neons are tetra which are characins) have somewhat unpredictable behaviours at certain times. They need a group, and while 6-7 is not a bad size, a 13g (50 liter) tank is not a lot of space, and this can increase their aggression. Characins have lots of teeth, and they do not hesitate to use them. The fins of any sedate fish is a real temptation.

Even if there is no apparent physical issue, these fish are sending out allomones that other species read, and this alone can cause considerable stress when the species are not compatible or the environment is not adequate.

I am with people like Neale Monks who say that Betta are not community fish. This is much safer all around.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    You actually saw a betta eat neons? Wauw!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    You actually saw a betta eat neons? Wauw!
    Yes. That was back in the days of my youth before I knew anything about fish. I can still see it, sitting there in front of my 20g tank and this beautiful red Betta with the tail half of a neon protruding from its mouth.

Much more recently, a few months back, I was in a local store and standing before a tank of blue gourami and neon tetra. I was thinking to myself, now why would they put neons in with blue gourami? When quite quickly, three of the gourami surrounded one neon and within seconds it was gone. The blue gourami were not that large either. Some fish just shouldn't be put together.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 09-15-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Indeed, Byron brings a good topic which if we shall ever discuss in the future, semiochemical, which I find more apparent in my marine tanks.

But back on the OP's question, how about a tank dedicated to sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumilus)? You can keep a male with a few females. They're not as active as the neons and are very beautiful fishes.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Kind of thought I'd get mixed opinions. I never thought a betta would attempt to eat a neon? It doesn't really sound worth it if there's a possibility either the fish will be stressed or end up dead. I might just aquascape it and then think about it, I'll definitely consider having sparkling gourami dedicated tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Another member asked about gourami in a small tank (his was a 10g) yesterday and I provided some suggestions:

There are several anabantids (labyrinth fish are in the anabantid group) suitable for a 10g (again, not with a Betta). One often available is the pygmy sparkling gourami, Trichopsis pumila, which is quite hardy compared to most of these small gourami. You could have a group of 3-5 in a planted 10g (must have floating plants for all anabantids). The licorice gourami, Parosphromenus deissneri, is another, though this species can be sensitive and delicate. The Parasphaerichthys ocellatus is yet another, though not that commonly seen. All of these need soft water, and on the acidic side. And good companions are the "dwarf" rasbora species in Boraras, like Borartas brigittae, B. maculatus, B. urophthalmoides, etc. These are seen from time to time. You could have 3-5 of one of the aforementined gourami, plus a group of 9-11 of one of the Boraras species.

A group of the pygmy sparkling gourami, I would say 5 here, is one option. Discerning male/female at the juvenile stage is difficult, for me anyway, but I have never had problems with buying five. Lots of floating plants. They will readily spawn, and some young will survive. I had several.

Nothing actually wrong with neons, but they are a bit large and you could have more of the Boraras or similar fish for more interest in a small space. These are all bright red so nice colour. Dario dario can work too, though not always easy to get eating without live food.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

0 Not allowed!
    licorice gourami I've seen over here were almost exclusive wild catch, lovely fish but not for the beginner

I also think Byron's suggestions could work and could work very well if you strive to create a well planted setup with low flow, floating plants, some wood and leaf. It's NOT suitable for the sparsely planted decor tank and NOT to the aquarist who doesn't (want) to know about water hardness.

FOr me personally a small tank with a little harem of Trichopsis pumila is definitely on the someday list.