· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Not all fish can be kept together. There are differences in water parameters (GH, pH, temperature) between species, and there are behavioural differences like active fish and sedate fish, aggressive and peaceful fish, etc. As several of us have previously mentioned in this thread, you added discus (which require higher temperatures, somewhat more specific water, and a quiet surrounding) into an existing tank with active fish. There will be problems doing this. I'm very sorry for this, but none of us can change how a fish species is made by nature.

The others here with much more discus experience than I have, have tried to help. Sometimes one has to make the hard decision to re-home this or that fish.

Byron.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Informative thread! I hope your discus pull through and become healthy.
    110 Gallon New World Cichlid Tank
    Tiger Oscar, Large Common Pleco, Blood Red Parrot, A lot of Black Convicts.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rubema View Post
    So what you mean is to remove 50% water, and adding a 100% tank amount of prime. So if i need for example 10 ml prime, for 90 gallon tank, i should use that amount when i am changing the 50% water

That is correct. :)

So there is no way to keep the discus with other fishes, and all what i did for the last 7-10 days, should not help, and i should stop doing any thing more, trying to help those discus... Either Discus or other fishes, not way for both????? Is that what you are talking? Since i don't want to buy a new 29g tank and keep them on it.
    Discus can be kept with other fish but you have to be very careful in regard to temperature since discus require higher than most other tropical community fish. Fish that are aggressive or nippy shouldn't be kept with Discus either.
    Good tankmates would be cardinal, rummynose or lemon tetras to name a few. Also instead of plecos you can have a nice school of corydoras such as adolfoi, sterbai or smudgespot to name a few.

It is also a really good idea to have a spare 29 gallon tank, if fish need to be treated with medicine you can do so without having to treat the healthy fish in the tank also, all you would need to have is an extra heater, air stone & a sponge filter
    Last edited by JudiJetson; 09-19-2013 at 06:03 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I mean no disrespect, but I tell it as it is.

You won't be successful in your attempt and it will be in vain in the end. I've seen so many people try to patch things up as they go along or try to force something that is not meant to be and it ended up in failure. That is why I told you what I told you in hopes that you would listen and amend so that your old fishes will be happy and the discus will be happy. If you continue doing things the way you want, you're not going to see good results.

It is evident and apparent just by looking at these discus fishes that they aren't happy or healthy. It is still not too late to do what is right for them. They are tough fishes, very hardy, and can live up to a decade if you give them the proper care. If you don't take all the signs that these fishes are showing you as a wake up call to change things, then I don't know what more to say.

When I was abroad for work for the last 3 years, I could've set up many tanks just because and replaced fishes as they die all I want but I didn't do that. I love keeping aquariums and it will not do the fishes or inhabitants of the tanks any justice if I don't give them the proper care. So for 3 years, I can only go to other venues to look at fishes (forums, or aquariums, etc.) because I didn't have time to properly care for the tanks if I did set it up.

Whatever your reasons may be, if you can't provide the right settings for your pets, then don't even bother. Save yourself the effort, time, and money.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the thing... My comments come from the heart of a discus lover. I have worked with them for years now. They can be mixed with schooling fish and even with altums sometimes. However the key factors are this - What is the temperment of all involved? How do the discus take the combination? Do all fish thrive with the needs of water change and temperature?

The most important fish in that tank are discus. They are the most picky and needy in the requirements for clean water and for stable high temps. This is due to many things but more important is their ability to fight infection and parasites.

The issues you currently see on your discus mean you have some issues with health. You should put the sick fish in a quaranteen tank while sick. This goes with all fish. If you restock and reappropriate your tank around species that go with discus you can be successful. If not, you will fight a cycle of futility.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

1 Not allowed!
    Spardas and Sandz have b0th said that y0ur speedy little dani0s and such need t0 be reh0med if y0u want t0 even H0PE f0r a sn0wballs chance in Hades with the discus. This is advice that I w0uld certainly f0ll0w with gust0 (they are b0th kn0wledgeable and trusted members), y0ur discus deserve y0ur greatest eff0rts t0 help them survive. It is very difficult t0 get attached t0 fish then let them g0 (we w0uld ALL agree 0n that, I'm sure) but it really and truly is the best r0ute t0 take IF y0u cann0t acquire an0ther tank f0r the 0ther fish. There are s0me really beautiful that will suit the discus as tankmates perfectly, and many many 0f them will 0nly accentuate the 0verall beauty and W0W fact0r 0f y0ur healthy happy discus. It's a t0ugh call but it is the right 0ne.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi every one,
    I really want to say thank you all from my deep heart, for your great and much appreciate advice's, which make this hobby very easy to understand, no matter the hard work/money i lost.

I read each and every word here in this thread and the poll one, and yes you all right, its my responsibility to chose either to keep the discus and do my homework as it should be, or re-home them. And i by my self accept what most of you advice, to focus first of all to how to make the discus happy and less stress, then start re-home the other fish which they are not suitable to keep with the discus.

So what i will do now is, take out the discus from my 90 gallon tank and keep them separately in other QT, treat and feed them also make them less stress and shy...

And for that i have an idea, i dont know if it will work or not, please help me to decade.
    I have 8g tank (check the picture) its for my kids, which has 4 small turtles + 4 snails and it has the kio fish with other pleco which i am re-homing them, its fully cycled but i don't know whats the parameters is, i will check them all today.

So my concern now, should like this tank do the job for my poor discus?

I am ready to buy some more plants to make some hiding placing for the QT. Or any thing else it make the discus much happy and without any stress.

So please help me and continue your favor, and keep your excellent advice's coming and coming to help those discus and make them in good health.

My 8g tank, which i will make it as QT for the discus

5ysp.jpg

8. Default

3 Not allowed!
    8 gallon is too small. Try 10 gallons per discus
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

5 Not allowed!
    Im sorry but I would never put a sick discus in a tank that has ever housed turtles. They carry a large line of disease that will easily kill most fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

1 Not allowed!
    Ditto on Filly and Sandz. I wouldn't even worry about the cycle if you can do daily 100% water changes.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.