· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default My Discus not eating!! WHY?

0 Not allowed!
    HI,
    Here is my 2 discus, they are in my tank since almost 4 days, and they are not eating at all.
    I feed them with other fish with most of famous fish food, but no hope.
    The tank temp is (29 c), and there are lots of hiding places on it, (plants and driftwood).
    I am closing the lights on one side of that tank at night, so they can be in peace, but i also noticed that they are not eating.
    Is that normal issue, or there is any problems.
    Ooh, by the way, i have also on angel fish, which also not eating such as the discus, other fishes are always hungry and eating very well.
    And excuse me for that pipe in the middle of the pictures.

Thank you,

Here is a pictures of them at night while the half of the aquarium is with light off.

ivbt.jpg

at69.jpg
    Last edited by rubema; 09-13-2013 at 07:59 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    I will leave it for one of the discus experts members to deal with discus not eating as there are several possibles. But your light issue is bothering me, and might be related.

Are you leaving any light on during the night? Meaning, all the time? Fish need a period of complete darkness, or they can be severely stressed.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

1 Not allowed!
    Discus do better in a group of 6+ unless it's a pair.

How long have you had them for? Did they eat at the place where you got them from? Did you QT these fishes? What are you trying to feed them with?

Can you also post your water specs? Are the lights on all the time?

Nice tank btw.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I will leave it for one of the discus experts members to deal with discus not eating as there are several possibles. But your light issue is bothering me, and might be related.

Are you leaving any light on during the night? Meaning, all the time? Fish need a period of complete darkness, or they can be severely stressed.

Byron.
    Thank byron, i really like your comments always.
    No my light is switch off 100% at night, but i just do that test with this way of lighting so i can see if the fish will eat or not, since i tried to feed them like that but there was not hope.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rubema View Post
    Thank byron, i really like your comments always.
    No my light is switch off 100% at night, but i just do that test with this way of lighting so i can see if the fish will eat or not, since i tried to feed them like that but there was not hope.
    I'm not understanding this, but no matter; if you can answer Spardas' questions, you will get good advice on the problem.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Discus do better in a group of 6+ unless it's a pair.

How long have you had them for? Did they eat at the place where you got them from? Did you QT these fishes? What are you trying to feed them with?

Can you also post your water specs? Are the lights on all the time?

Nice tank btw.
    Wow, that lot of questions, so please excuse my very lees experience, i am only 40 days on this hobby and i am trying my best to lean and read as much as i can, to do the best of what i can. I am really very happy when i find that people like my tank, thank you.

Discus do better in a group of 6+
    - I am planning to add more 4 to make them 6 in total, but i am adding them one by one each week.

How long have you had them for?
    - The orange is for about 5 days, and the blue is 3 days.

Did they eat at the place where you got them from?
    - I really don't know, but i will ask the seller, which he brought them for me from other location.

Did you QT these fishes?
    - If you mean by QT "Quarantine Tank" before i add them to my main tank, so NO.

What are you trying to feed them with?
    - Actually, i tried many kind of food, (flex, frozen, food in plastic bag, and many many others, i really don't remember them, but i can send there name once i reach home.

Can you also post your water specs?
    - Also i don't know how to do that, but i do have a regular API testing kit, and all my parameters looking good, i spend more than one month to make them looking good, with lots of advice from lots of members, which i really appreciate.

Are the lights on all the time?
    No, i am switching off the light for about 7 hours per day at night, some times i am keeping a very small light in some of the tank corners.

2 Not allowed!
    It's best to get them all at once...

In regards to your supplier, are you saying that he received the fishes from another source and then you pick them up before they get a chance to settle in? I'd check on where he got his discus from and what water they're being kept at and if he attempted to feed them or QT them before handing them over to you.

What size is your tank and how big are they? They look like they're 4.5 - 5 inches. What is that white tube for? I'd take it out or move it to the side.

You should really set up a QT tank. This is crucial!

As for food, I don't recommend tubiflex. When you get home and list out what you feed them, that'll be helpful. Have you tried frozen bloodworms to entice them? Do they follow your hands?

The temp is a tad higher than the average temp for your other inhabitants (I see white skirt tetra, danios, and guppies).

If you can get the basic water specs, that would be helpful.
    nitrate
    pH
    GH
    KH
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    It's best to get them all at once...

In regards to your supplier, are you saying that he received the fishes from another source and then you pick them up before they get a chance to settle in? I'd check on where he got his discus from and what water they're being kept at and if he attempted to feed them or QT them before handing them over to you.

What size is your tank and how big are they? They look like they're 4.5 - 5 inches. What is that white tube for? I'd take it out or move it to the side.

You should really set up a QT tank. This is crucial!

As for food, I don't recommend tubiflex. When you get home and list out what you feed them, that'll be helpful. Have you tried frozen bloodworms to entice them? Do they follow your hands?

The temp is a tad higher than the average temp for your other inhabitants (I see white skirt tetra, danios, and guppies).

If you can get the basic water specs, that would be helpful.
    nitrate
    pH
    GH
    KH
    I really want to thank you very much for trying to help me and my fishes.... i really appreciate that.

Oky, i will ask my supplier and try to know what kind of food he was feeding them, and if he QT them before giving them to me.

My tank is (in CM) 150 L, 50 D, 46 H. Total 90 Gallon.
    They are almost 7 CM.
    This tube was lose from my CO2 system, it was by mistake. Its fixed at the side.
    About the setup QT tank, i do have another 5 gallon, which has 4 snails and 4 small turtles. Should that will do, or i should buy another one for QT Purposes??
    About the food, i will send some picture, and yes i do have frozen bloodworms, but they dont eat it. And they are not following my hands, they escape from it, specially the orange discus, she/he is too shy. The blue one is showing up always, and not shy.
    So should i reduce the temp to 27, 26 c.
    I will try to give you the reading from those parameters soon.

Again, thank you very much...

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, 7 cm discus, they're only juveniles....

Please confirm immediately with the person selling the fishes to you all the questions asked. If he is selling you good fishes, keep them, if not, see if he will take them back for store credit.

But if you are dead set on keeping discus, there are some things that needs to be changed.

Juveniles should be kept at 84 F to 86 F for proper grow out within the first growth spurt (3-4 months) where they can reach a size of 4 to 4.5 inches. During this period, if you don't want them to be stunted, you will need to feed them rigorously and keep up with water changes. They're very easily stunted. During the 4 inches to 5 inches stage, you can reduce the feeding increment but still keep up with the water changes, it takes them around 3-4 months more to break the 5 inches if you are doing a good job.

A planted tank grow out will be more challenging. Not only that, you don't have a full hierarchy or pecking order in place. You're keeping them with spastic fishes like danios which can make the discus even more skittish if they aren't in a large group. If they aren't following your hands, that's a big problem right there from the get go. You want discus that are attentive and alert and aren't afraid of anything. That's why the red melon discus looks a little starved. The blue diamond eye to body ratio seem a little off to me. It looks like it might be stunted but it's hard to see.

This tank is not suited for growing juvenile discus as of right now. The other inhabitants won't like the heat from the temperature needed for the juvenile discus. I strongly suggest you carefully observe the discus you want to purchase before actually getting them. You need to ask a lot of questions to the person selling you it if you want to keep them for the long run.

Seeing that you have a planted tank, I don't know how much work you want to put into water changes each week, but you'll need to step it up if you want to grow juveniles. Another reason for massive water changes aside from cleaning up after their mess and reducing TDS/protein breakdown from their food is to get rid of the hormones released by the more mature discus. It will do that to stunt the other smaller ones.

Let me know what you find out from the seller and also your water specs. Your current inhabitants really need to go if you wish to keep juveniles. You'll need different tank mates....

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's time to slow down here and take things easy for a moment.
    It seems you're getting lots of advice here, most of it good (but some not so good), but regrettably a lot of it is either appealing in hindsight &/or has little if anything to do with answering your initial question, and this might be tending to confuse you.

Your discus look to be in pretty good shape & healthy condition to me, but keep in mind it's not unusual for discus to take several days, even up to as much as 2 weeks or more, to lose their stress from being moved, and to become fully comfortable with their totally new surroundings.
    You've only had them for a very short while, and you shouldn't be concerned until they haven't eaten for over a week or more.
    Feed them very lightly, but more than once day, to see if they'll show interest, and clean up the uneaten food.

Likely adding to their stress is the active/rapid movements of some of their tank-mates (is that Danios I see ?)

So I suggest you be patient & give them some time to settle in.
    Give them suitable time to adjust while also giving them fresh wcs, and see how things develop.

The only thing it would be helpful to determine and know at this point, is finding out from the seller (if he is truthful) that they were eating before you got them, and what they were eating.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-14-2013 at 04:17 AM.