· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ammonia in tap water

0 Not allowed!
    I'm helping a friend with her fish and in testing her tap water, it appears there is trace amounts of ammonia present. (API test is faintly green).

Should the beneficial bacteria, once established, be able to handle this? Anything special that should be done with water changes?
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    What's her pH at? Will there be live plants in the tank?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
    I'm helping a friend with her fish and in testing her tap water, it appears there is trace amounts of ammonia present. (API test is faintly green).

Should the beneficial bacteria, once established, be able to handle this? Anything special that should be done with water changes?
    Between the water conditioner and the filter this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Does she actually drink that water?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to chime in, I've had a similar experience. I think anyone drinking river water in an agricultural area is going to face the occasional ammonia spike in their tapwater. Either way, I'll be buying a carbon filter for my drinking water!

0 Not allowed!
    What is the number for the API test [I'm not familiar with it, and have no idea what "green" may signify]?
    Also, the pH and plants as Spardas mentioned are highly relevant.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    What is the number for the API test [I'm not familiar with it, and have no idea what "green" may signify]?
    Also, the pH and plants as Spardas mentioned are highly relevant.

Byron.
    Byron,
    Here is a link to the API color test chart: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The color of the test is somewhere between the green for .5 and the yellow for 0.

PH is high: 8.2. No live plants.

And yep, it's the only water source on the place.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

0 Not allowed!
    The color of the test is somewhere between the green for .5 and the yellow for 0.

PH is high: 8.2. No live plants.

And yep, it's the only water source on the place.
    Are you/she using the freshwater or saltwater colour card when testing? In the link Slaphppy7 posted, light green for FW is 1 ppm, but for SW is 0.5 ppm.

Assuming it is only 0.5ppm, my recommendation would be to use a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. Several do this--but not all. This will handle the initial influx of ammonia. The bacteria/archaea will easily (or should) handle it after that. Live plants would grab it even faster.

Byron.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using the freshwater test. It's definitely not more than 0.5.

She is using Prime water conditioner.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using the freshwater test. It's definitely not more than 0.5.

She is using Prime water conditioner.
    OK, that resolves it.