· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

Default "Community fish" for the shrimp tank; RCS

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all, I have a 5g planted nano that I'm primarily planning on stocking with cherries. Might pick up a few oto cats as well once the tank is established. However, in the long run I'd like to add a single species that would swim around the water column some. The tank doesn't have much "leg room" so to speak, so I am already thinking pretty small, or possibly something like a honey gourami (even though it's mouth doesn't look big, I'm sure it would eat shrimp though).

I'm just curious for ideas in the planning phase on who I might have some luck housing with them. With any luck MTS will have hit full as I already have a honey gourami / cory tank in mind, so that would provide some backup housing if I had trouble with a particular species. Also hopefully by the time I want to add any fish, RCS would be numerous enough to tolerate an occasional nibble, but that isn't my goal!

Sorry if you guys see this type of post often, I didn't have much luck with the search feature.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   For your tank - steeler1   Here's a cutthroat (?) for your dream tank... - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    If you have got some good plant cover (you probably do, as I look at your signature) that isn't just on the lower level of the tank, I would recommend endler's livebearer, as well as other small livebearing species smaller than guppies. From my own experience, i could recommend the ember tetra. Many small species would work, but not a gourami. Make sure they are smaller than neon tetras and guppies, IME. That's what I've had success with, and as always, if it's mouth looks big enough to fit a baby shrimp into it, it will probably eat it.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

1 Not allowed!
    The 5 gallon bit worries me. shrimp and ottocats pretty much stock this to full capacity.

Ember tetra, endler or any of the boraras species could work in combination with shrimp.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You're right dutchie, in a nano I do have to consider the bioload of shrimp. I will probably chose just one fish species and shrimp to finish out the stocking. Toad, thanks for confirming that my idea of having a honey in there isn't realistic. I appreciate the suggestions :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I would suggest one of the boraras, also. Here's a link that describes several of them:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2713

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    7 RCS are currently drip acclimating :). The LFS uses RO water and I'm using tap with a fairly high pH, so I figured it would be safest to drip them even though they are hearty. Unfortunately much of the crypt melted off, because I moved it around a second time after planting, or possibly was too rough with it when dividing and placing into the substrate. I think at least a few will make it, and hopefully I will be able to maintain the right foreground and central midground with crypts. I'm going to try some chainsword along the left mid and background. I have a CFL shining from above and on that side of the tank, so I think I will have enough light for it.

This LFS also has some ember tetras, although those boraras are amazing looking. I'll have to check into their availability. :)