· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OH! Also,

can I mix two types of tiger barbs? is it just the coloring that changes? I might want to get normal colored ones too (like if I need 4-6 mores, I might want orangs ;)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    yes you can, it makes a better looking school too. try to get more females than males tho
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I've "thumbs up" genocidex's post, but as your tank is cycled, I would wait only a couple of days to add more barbs. The bacteria once present can multiply fairly quckly, within 24 hours, by binary division which means each bacterium divides into two bacteria. Nitrosomonas (which handle the ammonia) do this within about 9-12 hours, and Nitrospira (the nitrite fellows) within 20 hours. If ammonia/nitrite are present, the bacteria will continue to so divide until they are at a level sufficient to take it all up. It is in new uncycled tanks where this becomes a problem.

Floating plants I suggested in your other thread help here too, by using ammonia at an alarming rate, and plants out-compete the bacteria.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    heres my thoughts on the waiting a few weeks, a 4" fish in a 32g tank is a minimal bio load. even if the tank is cycled you are basically doubling or more the bio load in one dosing. you will be getting a small ammonia spike from adding 8 fish. its best to let the tank go threw a minicycle instead of making it a harsher minicycle. and the issues of adding tbs after the first set would only really apply if the first tbs grew a lot more than the 2nd ones. if you see some hierarchy issues, just rearrange the tank and that will break up all territories. i recommend doing that when adding fish any ways.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that I did! (rearranging the tank)
    Any idea how I could help the cycling? I added some stuff to remove the chlorine and other chemicals from water, but if there's anything I can add to help the cycle I'm all ears

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    monitor the ammonia levels and just be ready to do pwc if it gets out of hand. tbh a week would probably be enough but i always side on caution. if you want you can add some seachem stability that will help the bb grow faster.( its basically bb in a comma) but if you add fish slow enough most people dont have any problems.
    gotta love them bunnies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I saw how to check the amonia, damn it's a pain in the butt -_-; lol
    i'll do it when my boy is sleeping

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I haven't had the time to check the ammonia as I wanted
    We had a parasites emergency with my son -_- (lices) so we were busy cleaning everything and treating him (I worked at a vet office for years as a tech/nurse, I absolutely DISPISE parasites in all forms so I kind of went in a bit of a ''mommy bear mode'' and disinfected everything lol)

However, I did change a bit of the water (very little, like maybe 1/6) with water that was already treated since yesterday.
    I'm lucky as well, I found some of the plants that my shark didn't destroy hiding behind his cave, so I replanted them closer to light, hiding them a bit between the fake plants, they are really tiny! but they survived that long so far!

I tried to find floating plants online, and couldn't find a place that sold them and shipped them in Canada. Do you guys know anywhere ?

The Barbs still look super happy and healthy though! No casualty so far!

0 Not allowed!
    I've never ordered plants online, and living in Canada I couldn't use US places anyway because the border issues and shipping are a pain. But there are some in the US I believe, hopefully others will have experience and be able to suggest them.

Look for Water Sprite, Ceratopteris cornuta. This is probably the best floater. Water Lettuce and Frogbit also work, though the latter can be fussy for some. Smaller floating plants like Salvinia are fine, but being so small they get lost. The previously-mentioned floating plants have substance and actually look nice too. Another plant is Brazilian Pennywort, a stem plant that grows fine left floating.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]