· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What is this Fish??

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    Please excuse my question, i am totally new with this great hobby..
    My tank is for small fishes only, but my son saw this fish in the store and i bought it for him.

Is that Regular Gold Fish?
    Or what is this fish?
    Is this fish aggressive?

Thank you very much.

ua9i.jpg

2 Not allowed!
    Looks like a koi carp to me. Eventual length about 3 ft. Pond fish really. They will also start eating some of your more tender plants like the stuff on the left. Oh, and that plant to the back right of it looks like a non-aquatic plant.

My advice, take the fish back or rehome to a pond and next time please don't buy fish you don't know anything about.

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Looks like a koi carp to me. Eventual length about 3 ft. Pond fish really. They will also start eating some of your more tender plants like the stuff on the left. Oh, and that plant to the back right of it looks like a non-aquatic plant.

My advice, take the fish back or rehome to a pond and next time please don't buy fish you don't know anything about.
    Hi,
    Thank you for the advice, i will make sure to take it back to pit store. But i really have big problem here, How can i catch it? Please take a look at my tank, its fully with plants and woods????

Also, it seems that you are totally right, most of the plants which i bought grow well, except this one (look at the picture), its seems that the pit store don't know either if this plant for water or no.. From the first day i keep it in the tank all its leaf start falling down.

I will make sure from now not to buy any fish without knowing its history.

Thank you very much again.

My tank

26ux.jpg

Plant

dvvn.jpg

1 Not allowed!
    Problem with plants is that quite a few suppliers stock terrarium and aquarium plants. Not every store checks what they order.

As to catching the fish, believe me I know the problem! Last year it took me 4 days to catch a harlequin with a problem. What you could do is try to cordon off part of the tank by putting in a divider (well rinsed plastic cutting board for example. Another option is to take a second person with a net and herd the fish. Some people have more success after lights out.

2 Not allowed!
    Best advice for catching is to quickly get it before it realizes what is happening -- once it realizes it is being "chased" it will be much harder to catch than if you get it by surprise.

Your tank looks really nice btw. And +1 to dutchie, you should NEVER buy fish without researching first.

4 Not allowed!
    But also +1 to Rubema both for the tank and the willingness to accept and rectify a mistake a total stranger from the other side of the world points out.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Problem with plants is that quite a few suppliers stock terrarium and aquarium plants. Not every store checks what they order.

As to catching the fish, believe me I know the problem! Last year it took me 4 days to catch a harlequin with a problem. What you could do is try to cordon off part of the tank by putting in a divider (well rinsed plastic cutting board for example. Another option is to take a second person with a net and herd the fish. Some people have more success after lights out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Best advice for catching is to quickly get it before it realizes what is happening -- once it realizes it is being "chased" it will be much harder to catch than if you get it by surprise.

Your tank looks really nice btw. And +1 to dutchie, you should NEVER buy fish without researching first.
    Thanks a lot,

I will consider your advice's.. I will try my best to catch it so it will not start destroying my plants..

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post

Oops, thank you very much, and i am with you and with dutchie, i will NEVER EVER buy any fish, NO matter my son/daughter cry....

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But also +1 to Rubema both for the tank and the willingness to accept and rectify a mistake a total stranger from the other side of the world points out.
    Also thank you Taldutchie, for the +1, i really appreciate. I will never do such a tank without you/other advice's.

I will be posting one thread, for the steps of doing this tank, it take me almost 50 days to finish it, with lots of reading and reading and reading and asking...

I am really very happy that it look nice like you/others said...

4 Not allowed!
    One other piece of advice to catch fish - try doing a large water change and then try and catch it with less water in the tank - it'll be easier for you to corner it and easier for you to see it in the tank.

I agree with talldutchie - kudos to you for accepting basic advice! We spend lots of time advising people to not purchase fish their kids want (unless you research its needs 1st) or to make impulse buys - especially when we are investing time and money into a setting up nice homes for them.

No one likes to hear that the pretty fish they "couldn't resist" is totally inappropriate for the tank they have all set up.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in