· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: im back!!!

0 Not allowed!
    1/4" less than the width of the insides should be fine. Will this sump be glass or acrylic?

What's the breakdown of each section and how tall are you making the baffles in relation to each section?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by itaydadon View Post
    48 L18 W 24 H Is the sump,
    Quote Originally Posted by itaydadon View Post
    Im working on putting together odds and ends.... need to put together an order for acrylic for the algea scrubber splash guard.

Also am about to put the order for glass to be cut for my baffles, I had a quick question... my inside sump is exactly 17 inches wide, how wide should I order the glass pieces? Taking into consideration that I need to be able to Angel them in....

Also, I really want most LR in sump, do you foresee a problem running water level at 15 inch high? Skimmer will have a booster to level at necessary height, will have 5 or 6 inches for power failure...I can't find a reason not to....?
    The height of the water in the sump will not matter too much as long as you can make adjustments to allow for your equipment to run inside. The important consideration is that have you confirmed/calculated that you will only be getting 33 gallons of drain back (48" X 18" X 9" = 33 gallons).

The amount of rock in your display tank should really be based on the fish and inverts you would like to keep. Some need a lot of hiding spots in order to feel safe and remain happy.
    Last edited by Cliff; 09-16-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Cliff on the LR thing.

My Potter's angel was a pain to wean it onto frozen food. Took nearly 3 months for the thing to start accepting any other food. It was mainly picking off stuff from the rocks all day long.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    The height of the water in the sump will not matter too much as long as you can make adjustments to allow for your equipment to run inside. The important consideration is that have you confirmed/calculated that you will only be getting 33 gallons of drain back (48" X 18" X 9" = 33 gallons).

The amount of rock in your display tank should really be based on the fish and inverts you would like to keep. Some need a lot of hiding spots in order to feel safe and remain happy.
    I'm sorry I had the numbers wrong, the sump will be glass.
    Sump dimensions 47 long 17 wide 24 deep I was planning 10 inch return compartment 16 inch refugium 12 inch algae scrubber and skimmer compartment
    The remaining space will be calculated for the baffles with aprox 1 inch in between each one.

I will be sure to have live rock in the display, but want to have a large amount in the sump, I am planning the build to have live food kicking into the main display for grabs 24/7.

Do you think 33 gals drain back is insufficient?
    Taking anti siphon and check valves into consideration I thought that's a handful? Please help out if you have a different thought.

0 Not allowed!
    The amount of drain back you get from the display tank will depend on how you set-up your plumbing in the display tank. As a rule of thumb, I do not trust swing check valves in low pressure applications (like aquarium plumbing) as I have seen far to many of them fail. I alway like to plan to not need them (leave enough room in the sump with no check valves), then add a ball check valve anyways

I'm not sure about your experience level with plumbing, so I though I would offer the below two links from our SW blog here that might help if needed

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/some-sump-basics/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aqu...umbing-basics/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read both articles in the past and plumbed both my 60 gal reef and 125 gal fowlr, I believe 33 gal should cover but I do understand your concern, can never be too safe, I thought about it and will probably convert your build idea, I will put my live rock compartment 18" high and my return and equipment compartment will be 11" or so, I was a little concerned of water drop creating micro bubbles but should cover it with a double micro bubble trap.

0 Not allowed!
    You can add a extra baffle or two to drop the water level a few times (a small amount each time) to prevent bubbles and make the sump quieter. If you have the extra room, a few more baffles will work.

Edit: post 40 of the below thread shows a very good example

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=109287&page=4
    Last edited by Cliff; 09-17-2013 at 02:13 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sump design brand new!!!.jpgI don't know if the picture is clear enough... this is the new design based on your advice...left compartment will have 12"high water level brought down to 11" for a nice surface skimming affect. the right compartment will be 16" high and will act as refugium and LR heaven, will have a baffle cutting hight to 12" then will be brought down to the 11" water level for return chamber
    first two baffles will be ordered 12" high 1/4 inch thick 16 3/4 long (the inside tank dimension is 17 inch)
    second two baffles will be ordered 11" tall each 1/4 inch thick 16 3/4 long
    the middle compartment will be 11" high and will be return chamber with clean live rock (external pump)
    third couple baffles will be 12" tall each 1/4 inch thick 16 3/4 long
    and last two will be 16" tall each 1/4 inch thick 16 3/4 long

brought the baffles up an inch in a half for the bubble traps, that should be sufficient enough right?
    any other thoughts recommendations?
    anything that I missed? BTW flow is going to run around 1500 GPH after head pressure loss...will be running reeflo on medium setting

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good, where are you planning to put the auto top off?

Not sure if you're going with kalk/calcium reactor or not or what you're doing to incorporate the dosing.

Not to go off topic on the thread but since the 3 of us are discussing...Cliff, did you split your drain to go into both the skimmer and the refugium section, or just let it flow from the skimmer onward? Do you turn of your skimmer in any period of time after feeding so that the "raw" water go to the refugium?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those are good questions, I will be running avast kalk sterrer throu ATO...