· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: im back!!!

1. Default im back!!!

0 Not allowed!
    wow! I haven't been here for a while. im glad to see you're still putting so much help to others and developing your reef!!
    I can say hands down the biggest jump start I got in this hobby was from this forum, especially cliff.

anyhow, I ventured into the reef tanks and currently have a nice but humble 60 gal softie, LPS, invert reef. knock on wood it is doing GREAT!
    I am moving into a house and can finally upgrade, I scored an amazing deal on a 360 tank and am putting ALOT of time into the planning, I learned the hard way you better get it right months before you even think about starting to plumb.

SIDE VIEW NEW.jpgsump design new TOP.jpgsump design new.jpg
    the tank is 60X 30W X 20H with a center overflow starfire glass, the sump is a 48X18W X 24H (attached photos for design) I am planning a center return in order to maximize the flow time in the sump, I am going on a big overkill on natural filtration, want to have a stable tank for SPS.

equipment...
    SWC skimmer rated for 400 GAL
    algea scrubber (learned this blessing from the forum a year ago)
    160 LBS of high quality live rock- starting with BRS pukani dry rock seeded with some good quality rock from my tank, will be aiming for the minimalist/ lagoon design within the DT putting most rock in the sump. I have read ALOT about these rocks and will be curing them intensively pulling out all phosphates.
    I just got the new reeflo blowhole 2700 ordered.
    thinking of adding another jabeo WP60 pump, heard the 40's were AMAZING and I defiantly want very high flow taking into consideration there will be no sand to bother me (oh yeah, its going to be bare bottom)
    lights are still in progress, thinking about the photon reef breeder 48" along with 2 LED blue and white ebay fixtures for additional power.

what do you guys think?

recommendations?

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new house and new tank !!!

Just one word of advice from having a algae scrubber in my sump, I would apply a pc of black acrylic to the inside baffle in the algae scrubber / skimmer compartment of the sump. The reason being is that you will get light spilling into the return pump compartment making it only a matter of time before algae starts to grow in there. Once that happens, you will most likely be constantly cleaning algae out of the return pump. I would also do the same thing the inside baffle on the fug compartment as well

What are the measurements of the sump ?

did you plan room for drain back (in the case of a power failure) or are you planning on using a check valve ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    48 L18 W 24 H Is the sump, the hight will be around 12 inch, will put valves on the returns for sure. Black acrylic is a great idea didnt think about that...did anyone try reeflo blowwhole 2700 supposedly it is one of the quietest.

I will have over 20 extra gallons that will cover well for power falure

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Plan on curing the rock with heavy skimming and carbon/GFO reactor, pump and heater...any recomendations? I heard of people dosing phosphate reducing chemicals due to the trapped organics in the rock

0 Not allowed!
    I have a different model of reeflo pump which is extremely quiet

I would not use any chemicals or skimming when curing your rock. Waterchanges would be all you need to pull out nitrates and phosphates from the rock. The problem with using chemicals for this is that they will also get soaked up into the rocks and leach out over time as well. If your curing dry / dead rock, just use fresh water, if your curing live rock, use a smaller container and saltwater. Test every second day or so and complete waterchanges as required. That has always worked for me.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am starting the proccess with dry rock so that will save me a bunch work and.money ill do some water changes as well you wouldnt recommend a reactor or skimmer, I have read threades in other forums about the pukani rock and its long curing process....

0 Not allowed!
    Would two 24" lights on each side be better seeing that you have the overflow right in the middle? What's your plan for livestock?

I see what your concern is with those rocks. Any chance you can get some cheap quality LR from some reef club in your area? I wouldn't want to deal with curing something for a lenghty period of time and not be at ease if it's constantly leeching out phosphate...
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    You can use salt water, a skimmer, GFO....... and so on to cure dead rock. IME, the easiest and simplest way to cure dead rock is to use dechlorinated fresh water and lots of water changes. Bad quality rock takes a long time to cure, good quality rock cures in no time. Spardas makes a very point that if you buy rock from some one you know, you should also be able to know what quality of rock your getting. That can sure save you some time and effort. It all depends on how long you are willing to cure rock

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im working on light coverage ideas, I understand your concern
    I really like the pukani rock and am willi.g to work on it to get it nice and clean before it gets in the system...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im working on putting together odds and ends.... need to put together an order for acrylic for the algea scrubber splash guard.

Also am about to put the order for glass to be cut for my baffles, I had a quick question... my inside sump is exactly 17 inches wide, how wide should I order the glass pieces? Taking into consideration that I need to be able to Angel them in....

Also, I really want most LR in sump, do you forsee a problem running water level at 15 inch high? Skimmer will have a booster to level at necessary height, will have 5 or 6 inches for power failure...I can't find a reason not to....?