· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Tank to Tank - Aquarium Water Bridge

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, So I'm thinking of building a "water bridge" between two planted fish tanks.... (35 gal and 50 gal)...
    (http://www.bio-elite.co.za/waterbridge.htm)
    I've never done anything like this before... and so i was wondering, Do you think the fish would use it? because it does require them to swim above surface level of water which seems unnatural? do you think the water would become stagnant inside the bridge? because I was thinking about running my large cannister between the two tank, I.e. the input in one tank and the output in the other, would that make the water flow through the pipe at a rate which allows the fish to swim through and refreshes the water or am I going to end up with the tank with the filter output overflowing?
    and what's going to happen to my water - adding two established tanks together, who have very similar pH and water quality - I think it should be fine but is there anyway to mix the tanks without starting again :)
    There aren't any fish compatibility issues and I know how to set up the bridge and fill it with water :)
    any help is appreciated!
    I'l post pics as I go along :)

0 Not allowed!
    I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice on this build - but I'm intrigued by the idea. I've seen a few YouTube videos of this kind of set up before and, whilst interesting, did not look very pretty.

I don't think the water will become stagnant in the bridge as the filter will keep it moving.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting concept. I have seen videos of the water bridge, I have an in-tank overflow box which works like a water bridge in my saltwater set-up.
    Your idea of having one tank receive water and one give water to a filtration system should work. Will the fish use the bridge? Unknown at this point, let us know how it goes.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    The lower and shorter and wider the bridge, the more likely fish are going to use it. Of course, the same qualities also make it a pretty boring bridge so a balance would have to be made. Fish species will also vary in their willingness to use the bridge. A very shy bottom dweller, maybe a dwarf cichlid or a pleco, may not dare to but a bold, inquisitive surface dweller like a danio would likely do. You might also be able to train your fish to get in there, if the bridge has an arc shape then you could push floating pellets into the bridge and have them float up to the middle where the fish will have to swim in order to eat.

Awards Showcase

Happy Friday! - Slaphppy7 Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7 To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson Congrats on the avatar contest! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Welcome back! - Slaphppy7 Have a rummy, and imagine a shoal - Slaphppy7 some halloween candy for you. - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Compass More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Thanks for your help. - metweezer 
    Here's some pumpkin pie, thanks for playing - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF to you :) - steeler58 For your research, well deserved - Slaphppy7 Happy Christmas Cat Hunting! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I think it is a very cool idea! I don't know much about fish-keeping but I do know physics, and most of your answers are provided by physics, so here they go (I will answer in a slightly different order than what you asked):

Quote Originally Posted by Odicombe View Post
    I was thinking about running my large cannister between the two tank, I.e. the input in one tank and the output in the other, would that make the water flow through the pipe at a rate which allows the fish to swim through and refreshes the water or am I going to end up with the tank with the filter output overflowing?
    If you have your canister intake in one tank and the outflow in the other, none of your tanks will overflow as long as both ends of the bridge remain under water at all times. The "principle of communicating vessels" is a fancy way of saying that the pressure exerted by the weight of the atmosphere on the surface of your tanks will work to keep both tanks at exactly the same level at all times. So, water will flow into one of your tanks from the canister, and enough water will flow through the bridge into the other tank so as to always keep both surfaces at the same height. Water will then will flow back to the canister from the second tank. The height of the water surface on both tanks will always be the same. If the tanks are different sizes or placed at different heights, the level of the surface of the water in both tanks will always be at exactly at the same height relative to each other.

So, a big question is the height of your tanks: how tall are your two tanks?

The rate at which water flows inside the bridge depends on your canister filter throughput. Whatever flow your filter has, that is the amount of water that will also flow through the bridge. Your combined volume is about 80 gallons, so you would probably need a filter of at least 200 gallons per hour, almost certainly more. So, at 200 gallons per hour, you are "dumping" 200 gallons every hour into one tank, those same 200 gallons will travel out of the tank, through th ebridge and into the second tank to keep the water level balanced. Whether this flow rate is too much for a fish to swim through, I don't know. The PVC pipe in that photograph seems to be around 4 inches in diameter, more or less. If I'm doing this correctly, 200 gallons flowing through a pipe 4 inches in diameter every hour would give you a current of roughly 0.04 knots. Is this too much for fish? I have no idea.

do you think the water would become stagnant inside the bridge?
    No, As per the explanation above, you would have 200 gallons (or whatever your filter is rated at) flowing through the tube every hour

and what's going to happen to my water - adding two established tanks together, who have very similar pH and water quality
    The water in both tanks would just become mixed. In essence (at least as far as water is concerned) you would have just a single tank of 85 gallons (plus the water in the tube) with exactly the same water. As far as water goes, you would no longer have 2 separate tanks, you would just have one large one.
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 08-21-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Friday! - Slaphppy7 Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7 To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson Congrats on the avatar contest! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Welcome back! - Slaphppy7 Have a rummy, and imagine a shoal - Slaphppy7 some halloween candy for you. - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Compass More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Thanks for your help. - metweezer 
    Here's some pumpkin pie, thanks for playing - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF to you :) - steeler58 For your research, well deserved - Slaphppy7 Happy Christmas Cat Hunting! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    One more thought. The last point of my previous post has two important implications that others more knowledgeable in fishkeeping need to answer. First: since you no longer have 2 separate tanks but now have a single tank of 85 gallons, this will determine the minimum filtration you need. I would estimate you need around 200 gallons per hour but others with more knowledge about filtration should chime in regarding your required filtration flow. You mentioned using your "larger" filter. If this is what you now use in your 50 gallon, it may or may not be enough for the combined volume.

Second: If the parameters of your tanks are different (pH, hardness, temperature...), they will change when you start the bridge as the water will mix. Your end point will be somewhere in between the parameters of your two tanks. Depending on how different the levels are, your fish may need acclimation.

EDIT: One point I can't stress enough is that both ends of your bridge must remain under water at all times. If either end of the bridge rises above the surface for even a moment, the bridge will immediately empty and the "communicating vessels" will stop working as such. The result is that water will no longer flow from one tank to the other, and the tank where your canister outflow is going will soon overflow while the other tank may become empty from the suction of the filter. It is critically important you never allow the water level in your tanks fall below the ends of the bridge
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 08-21-2013 at 03:36 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Some of the bridges I've seen have the pipe entrance at the very bottom of the tank (made up to look like a cave) so this may be advisable to prevent the above happening accidentally.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've sourced my pipework! I'm going to use Clear acrylic tubes at 4" in diameter :) Hopefully that's large enough for swimming and enough for water flow....

I've Thought of 3 solutions for the overflow issue:
    1. I'm going to place the input to the canister near the waters surface- so that if the bridge were to loose water then, there wouldn't be too much overflow - this shouldn't compromise on filtration/water flow as i will have a canister running in each tank (an eheim and fluval 405) while running the other between the two tanks.
    2. Placing some kind of trip, which would shut off the canister if the water got too high/low in one tank.
    3. placing an overflow sump in the tank with the output. although, i'm reluctant to do this, because it might require drilling the glass...
    as for acclimatisation - maybe adding buckets of water from each to tank to each other over a few weeks would be enough????

Do you think, that a fish which grows to it's container size, would grow to the size it would achieve, in a 35/50gal or would it reach the size of an 85 gal, since its one body of water? :S

0 Not allowed!
    Do you think, that a fish which grows to it's container size, would grow to the size it would achieve, in a 35/50gal or would it reach the size of an 85 gal, since its one body of water? :S
    Your plans sound solid, but this question worries me a little so allow me to dispel a myth. Fish do not grow to the size of the tank. Thinking of them in this way is unhelpful (and cruel). If they do not grow to their full potential size in a tank it is because they have been housed in an inadequate environment with poor water quality/diet, and as a result have become severely stunted. A stunted fish is not acceptable from a welfare point of view - I'm sure you'd agree.

What species of fish are you talking about anyway?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know :) I just couldn't really think of a way to phrase it :P Would you stock it as an 85 gallon?
    Well... Basically I've had a lot of fish forced on me recently by a friend, and I've been given a bala shark with a deformed spine - I gave all the fish I couldn't care for to my local aquatic community, but no one seems interested in the shark, as it has the spine problem and so isn't a perfect fish - It doesn't effect its welfare - it eats fine and has no trouble swimming - and isn't a symptom of a disease like Fish tuberculosis - so I don't see a problem in letting it live instead of killing it? ( its at a small size at the moment and i will find it a home before it creates a problem for other tank mates) but does the bridge make it an 85 gallon for the fish or a 50 gal? :)