· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Why is this harder than usual?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so about a month ago I start cycling an Aquaclear 30 on a 2.5 gallon tank. Yes the tank is tiny but I've been able to keep the ammonia levels steady at about 2-3ppm using fish food and dead Nerite Snails. My question is why haven't I seen Nitrites?? Every time I test for ammonia its always at around 2 ppm. I test for Nitrites and nothing. The tank is kept at about 79 degrees and I don't use an airstone as the Aquaclear provides plenty of surface agitation for gas exchange. I don't have a larger tank to cycle the filter on but I didn't think that'd be an issue as long as I added enough ammonia. The tank also does not have a light on it, does that make a difference?

What am I doing wrong? What should I change? Please help me I'd like to move this filter to my 10 gallon soon T-T

I've always had an easy time cycling filters. What am I doing wrong this time?
    Last edited by Gesp56; 09-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    Try raising the temperature to the mid 80's.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    Agree with Honey Badger +1, raise the temperature.
    A light is not necessary to cycle a tank. I dont use one because I've read of algae problems from those who do use a light.
    Keep at it. My nitrite cycle was so fast I missed it. I tested every other day when cycling and I never had a nitrite reading. Once the ammonia read 0ppm, nitrites read 0ppm and nitrates were around 10ppm.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks you guys. I guess I have to add a new heater. I'm using one of those 5 gallon heaters that have no control setting. Basically useless but its all I had.

Edit: I found another small heater that doesn't have a setting. I think its internal setting is for 82 degrees. I added it to the tank along with a new thermometer. Hopefully I see a rise in the heat. When I get the chance, if I can convince my dad to make ANOTHER run to the lfs, than I'll buy a new heater with a control setting.

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I'll keep the temperature up and just keep watching the levels. The ammonia levels I'm not worried about. I have two dead Nerites in their that are producing plenty enough ammonia as they rot.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 09-10-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I take it you've checked for nitrates as well? As mentioned above it can be easy to miss the nitrites. Maybe you could seed (or re-seed) with some media from a cycled filter?

1 Not allowed!
    I think I'm missing something here. If this filter is going on your 10 gal, why aren't you just adding it there. I assume it's the 10 gal in your signature, already stocked? Is there a filter on this tank now? If so, just add the new filter, keeping the old filter running at the same time until the new filter is seeded. If they are both Aquaclear, you can take the media out of the one running now and put it in the AC30 and just swap it out.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 - I assume there isn't space on the 10 gal to run both filters so you are looking to replace what you have there already?

Also, when you say you are maintaining the ammonia between 2-3, I'm thinking that you need to let it drop to 0 at some point before bringing it back up to half that reading - perhaps that's why you aren't getting a reading for nitrites - the cycle is stalled due to constant ammonia being produced?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Just to rule out the obvious:

Are you dechlorinating your water in some way before you add it to the tank? Chlorine/chloramines in your tap water would seriously hinder cycling.