· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Don't understand KH and GH test.

0 Not allowed!
    I just got API KH and GH Test Kit. When I tested the GH it turned colors in 3-4 drops. But, when I tested the KH, it went from blue on the first drop, to clear on the second, to a pale yellow on the third. My question is; What is my KH? Because the instructions said when it goes from blue to yellow, they said nothing about it turning clear first, so is my KH on the second, when it went clear, or the third, when it turned pale yellow. And, with these parameters on KH and GH, what tropical fish community in a 55gal. would be best?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You measure your kh and gh by the number of drops it takes for the test water to change from normal to the colour indictated on the instructions. If it took 1drop for your kh test for your test water to change to the colour indicated by the instructions then you have a kh of 1 or below. Hope that helps.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should add that when the test water has changed to the colour indicated by the instruction, you don't add more of the test solution.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and 30 taitibee
    • 15 gallon: 2 x 24watt T5 + 23watt LED, pressurised Co2 injections and dosed with ferts

0 Not allowed!
    I found the colours a bit difficult initially. For GH it has to turn green, and the orange got a bit darker each drop until it suddenly goes green. The KH should go until you get the yellow. In your case I would try it up to 4 drops and see if that is more obvious.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so which one is it? First is KH starting from 2 drops and going to 5.

2013-09-11_21-22-42_0.jpg2013-09-11_21-24-05_532.jpg2013-09-11_21-24-55_235.jpg2013-09-11_21-25-55_48.jpg

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Be sure to add only one drop at a time and cap and shake the tube. For the GH, wait 5-10 seconds if the color looks other than orange, to be sure it has changed. It will change to a deep orange and usually the next drop changes it to green. Sometimes it might look like a funky orange-green color and then it changes to green (it can be any shade of green).

For the KH, wait till it is actually yellow. IMO, in the photos above, both the KH and GH are 5.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"